B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through an older issue of Sport Compact Car today, and I came upon the article where Shiv Pathak installed the Electromotive Tec-II Programmable Engine Management Computer. (whew!) It seemed like a fairly basic installation, this computer would work in conjunction with the stock ECU and give 100% control to the owner. Just hook up a PC and start tuning. It seems very powerful, and it would be a VERY expensive solution to our lack of an ECU. Even with the turbo program on the JWT ECU, it would have to be reprogrammed if you made any major changes. This system would evolve with any possible changes you could make. It's about 2500 bucks. :eek: Therein lies the problem. Right now they make specific kits for the Miata and Impreza only, I sent them an e-mail to see what would be involved to install one of these on the roller cam SR20DE. I'll see what they have to say. Does anybody on this BB have any experience with something like this? If so, did it work well for you?

Tell me what you think.

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
J-Dog, if you think that is easy then you are ahead of me without a doubt. If I could do the Tec-II, I would do it in a heartbeat, not the ghetto way as you rightly called it. From what I have seen it would work VERY well with our cars. I saw where some Aussies who didn't like the JWT stuff used it and were very happy with it. Check the SR20DE board and maybe you could get the guy's e-mail for advice. That would be a BIG help for all of us dying for more power. I'll try to find that thread too. Thanks for the response on my question.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well..I wouldn't exactly call it easy...

But it did seem very straightforward. The only prohibiting factor is the cost, but when you factor in that this system could control just about anything, whether it be turbo, nitrous, water injection, you name it, it can do it. Hopefully the guys at Electromotive will e-mail me back soon about how well it would work. We'll see.

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
You are right it is straightforward, but rather involved. I saw the SCC with the Subaru they put it in and you do need to know what you are doing--which I don't with that thing. I say it will work and to go for it if you can. I e-mailed the guy from Australia and invited him to our board to help us with Tec-2 set-up, so we'll see what happens with that. He claimed they had been using them and they loved it

Is it true F-Max bailed on the B15 prototype turbo install so they could focus on the 2.5 SE-R/V? If so, I promise NOT to buy anything from them period. On another board JWT said they weren't interested in helping us figure out how to make one of the earlier ECU's work for our cars for a turbo kit. In short, we've been told to F**k off by the only two aftermarket manufacturers of new performance products for our cars. We REALLY need someone else to step up here. Keep us posted, I know I'll be watching for answers.

·
Registered
623 Posts
AZ_2K_SE said:
You are right it is straightforward, but rather involved. I saw the SCC with the Subaru they put it in and you do need to know what you are doing--which I don't with that thing. I say it will work and to go for it if you can. I e-mailed the guy from Australia and invited him to our board to help us with Tec-2 set-up, so we'll see what happens with that. He claimed they had been using them and they loved it

Is it true F-Max bailed on the B15 prototype turbo install so they could focus on the 2.5 SE-R/V? If so, I promise NOT to buy anything from them period. On another board JWT said they weren't interested in helping us figure out how to make one of the earlier ECU's work for our cars for a turbo kit. In short, we've been told to F**k off by the only two aftermarket manufacturers of new performance products for our cars. We REALLY need someone else to step up here. Keep us posted, I know I'll be watching for answers.
have u talked to fmax directly? have u talked to jwt directly? if not, y dont u make some calls and find out.

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
I asked on this board about F-Max because I am GUESSING that they may have told someone here about the reasons for their decision. I don't expect them to have the guts to tell me over the phone. Granted, whoever they talked with (IF they even did) could be exaggerating or lying, but I would like to hear what that person has to say, first.
As for JWT, I could have sworn it was our very own David who posted on the SR20DE BB that he called JWT about what pins to move around on one of their ECUs to make it work for our cars. Whoever he s/w said they weren't sure EXACTLY. Now according to David, he was told we were pretty much on our own on solving the problem. That sounds like they could care less to me.
BTW, I didn't say I had come to a conclusion about either one tho. I can see how it would look that way, however.

·
Registered
119 Posts
What all is included in the kit?

I know that the neon kit converts it over to quab throttle bodies along with the pcm upgrades. Though if you did run quad tb's on the SR20DE you would be sucking some REALLY hot air, since the intake is on the wrong side of the engine to start with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts