B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey did any of you read the article in this month's issue of Turbo magazine? I just skimmed it while my wife was on the deli line (she doesnt' want me spending any more money on the car so she doesn't let me read the magazines anymore :) ) There is an article in there about an electric water pump. They dynoed the car and got about 5-6 hp throughout the whole powerband!!! It basically reduces a LOT of load off your engine cuz your current water pump is driven off your motor. The only drawback that I could read about (cuz I had to go) was that it makes your car idle about 500 rpm higher than normal even if your turn your idle ALL THE WAY down cuz the engine has that much less resistance at idle. Sounds good, huh? If anyone reads the article or finds out more info, please let us know. My wife hasn't banned me from the internet...YET!!!

G

·
The only time I've seen those used is in racing applications. I doubt you could use a setup like that on a daily driver.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back.
- Ghetto airbox...Zip ties and all!

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific."

·
Registered
100 Posts
I haven't seen the article (yet) but I'm suspecting that it's more of a drag-only part. Does the pump come with some way to increase its RPM's as engine RPM's go up? Otherwise the pump will turn at this slow rate while the engine is generating more and more heat while driving.

But yes, the engine gains some HP when you take off the water pump, especially on the SR20DE engine. The Unorthodox pulley for just the crank actually includes the water pump pulley on our motors specifically to help reduce the parasitic losses, and coincidentally it helps with cavitation/overheating at the high RPM's, such as road racing.

------------------
Waiting for PR CAI, got the Stromung, got the Unorthodox, got a big fat empty "0" in my bank...:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts