B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was reading in some older posts, that many people beleive the 10 "magical" HP the spec has over the base Se-R is in the ECU tuning, and probably from the intake.

That being the case, couldn't you swap out the ECU's of an Se-R and a Spec and dyno before/after?

Figure you'd give the new ecu's time to relearn their new car?

If one of you dyno mongers could do that maybe it'd be kinda neat?

-Jason

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
Get your ignition timing advanced on your SE-R and put 91 octane in it, much more easy and will be closed to the Spec... (including the stock airbox removal too for a CAI, POP, etc...)

·
Registered
89 Posts
here's my running theory...

ECU tuning is the reason the spec has 10 more crank HP than the SE-R.

The spec has a HLSD, which accounts for a greater driveline loss, and eats up the extra 10 hp (give or take)

thus, SER and spec have equal wheel HP

·
NISMOnkey
1,015 Posts
bean - I want some of what you're smoking, buddy. Stock dyno charts prove that wheel horsepower between the two isn't the same.

·
Registered
706 Posts
SomeHondaGuy said:
So I was reading in some older posts, that many people beleive the 10 "magical" HP the spec has over the base Se-R is in the ECU tuning, and probably from the intake.

That being the case, couldn't you swap out the ECU's of an Se-R and a Spec and dyno before/after?

Figure you'd give the new ecu's time to relearn their new car?

If one of you dyno mongers could do that maybe it'd be kinda neat?

-Jason
Because one is a 5-spd and the other is a 6-spd, I don't think the ecu's can do both tranny's

·
Registered
243 Posts
i figured i might as well put my 2 cents in. I have a 2003 5-spd se-r and i raced my buddys 2003 spec-v, i won,okay fine maybe it was just luck,so i raced again and again.. i won. interesting. then about a week later i raced another one of my buddys spec's this one is a 2002 spec-v and same thing but this time we raced three times. my conclusion was my freinds dont know how to drive. so i did what i always do on weekends and went up to the pike,found a 2003 spec-v i had no idea who he is a went for a run and again won. (all cars raced were stock) so i belive either the spec does not have extra 10 h.p or the combination of slightly lighter car and smaller wheels made the diffrence.

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
V-spec03 said:
i figured i might as well put my 2 cents in. I have a 2003 5-spd se-r and i raced my buddys 2003 spec-v, i won,okay fine maybe it was just luck,so i raced again and again.. i won. interesting. then about a week later i raced another one of my buddys spec's this one is a 2002 spec-v and same thing but this time we raced three times. my conclusion was my freinds dont know how to drive. so i did what i always do on weekends and went up to the pike,found a 2003 spec-v i had no idea who he is a went for a run and again won. (all cars raced were stock) so i belive either the spec does not have extra 10 h.p or the combination of slightly lighter car and smaller wheels made the diffrence.
2002 Spec-V have differents gear ratio that could explain this also...

·
I'm Slushie Biotch!!
645 Posts
10hp = bs!!! they claim it comes from higher flow exahaust, the exhaust is identical...end of story, its a lie...a big FAT lie...can we get some stock air box pics, i wanna see the difference...

but u know what it would mean if the spec airbox was 10hp better then the SE-R airbox?...it means that if you put an intake on a spec and it gains AEM/Nismo's claimed 8.7whp that if u put it on a base SE-R it would amount to 8.7whp plus 10 extra bhp for a total of 16.7whp (assuming 20% driveline loss) in other words...its BS...

my theory:
if u put 87 octane in an SE-R and 93 in a spec V the spec v will have more power because the knock sensor will retard the timing on the base SE-R thus giving the spec V extra power, however, if u run 93 in both they will be the same...makes just as much sense as any of these other lame theories :-D

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
bean628 said:
here's my running theory...

ECU tuning is the reason the spec has 10 more crank HP than the SE-R.

The spec has a HLSD, which accounts for a greater driveline loss, and eats up the extra 10 hp (give or take)

thus, SER and spec have equal wheel HP
Dude the Automagic trans eats up way more horse than the HLSD ever thought about Spec V's about 144whp and SER's about 130whp.

·
I'm Slushie Biotch!!
645 Posts
err.. i dynoed at 140.8 with intake and pulley..thats better then some specs...now if i am at 130 stock, then a CAI really does free up 8-9whp or so

·
Registered
455 Posts
LI SilverSE-R said:
10hp = bs!!! they claim it comes from higher flow exahaust, the exhaust is identical...end of story, its a lie...a big FAT lie...can we get some stock air box pics, i wanna see the difference...

but you know what it would mean if the spec airbox was 10hp better then the SE-R airbox?...it means that if you put an intake on a spec and it gains AEM/Nismo's claimed 8.7whp that if you put it on a base SE-R it would amount to 8.7whp plus 10 extra bhp for a total of 16.7whp (assuming 20% driveline loss) in other words...its BS...

my theory:
if you put 87 octane in an SE-R and 93 in a spec V the spec v will have more power because the knock sensor will retard the timing on the base SE-R thus giving the spec V extra power, however, if you run 93 in both they will be the same...makes just as much sense as any of these other lame theories :-D
the extra 10hp comes from ecu tuning. the base se-r is set at -2 and the spec-v at -1 for base timing.

btw i have never lost to a stock se-r modded or not.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
bean628 said:
Such a common misconception, a limited slip differential will NOT contribute to drivetrain loss, especially a Helical design such as the one in our Specs

·
Registered
693 Posts
BodeB15 said:
It's a joke new guy...:p:D:)
hes not that new........anywho I thought I had seen this before but the stock air box on the spec is slightly different then on the se-r. http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41831&highlight=stock+and+air+and+box
I am sure I could find more info if i searched more. So this coupled with the timing advance and possible a slight difference in exhuast diameter(i think I read that before ill search though). While none of that really matters if you get a new cai and exhaust and timing advance I think they tried to make the spec a little more aggressive but I don't know how well it worked :) .

1 - 20 of 59 Posts