B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
El Greco
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any Eclipse HU w/ 3way x-overs except the 8454 and 5444 which are more than I want to spend? The 5444 goes for $450+ on ebay....

The Alpine 9833 is ~$300 which is more reasonable.. Do the "lower" model Ecplipse HUs have adjustable 3-way x-overs?

I want to go active, so I need a HU w/ indepented front/rear x-overs since I am bi-amping.

·
NISMOnkey
1,015 Posts
I believe only the 5444 and 8454 have the 3-way x-over. I have to admit, though, that using the 8454 in "easy" mode is lame compared to an alpine. Once I get around to bi-amping it, though, it should be great. I just have to re-wire again to my rears running off of the h/u, and then running my fronts and sub through my 500/5.

I don't recall if the 5444 has "pro" mode for 3-way x-over, and if that's the case, I'd go w/one of the Alpines.

·
NISMOnkey
1,015 Posts
BTW, what's your take on rear fill? I'm almost tempted to remove them altogether. I don't really sit in the back of my car as it is.

·
El Greco
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
tbuh said:
That's true, no rears in his sig. =)
Yeap :D

Thanks for the input.

So I guess the only option would be getting the 8454 and run it in pro mode since the 5444 does not have a pro mode.

Well, the 8454 is nowhere to be found online, plus it would be big $$$; and according to you, the 5444 is "not worth" it.

One question though: When we talk 3 way x-over, does that give you separate x-over contron on front and rear RCAs? Have never used a 3way x-over HU since I had no need.

·
Registered
631 Posts
thats because eclipse doesnt have any online retailers. im buying my CD5444 for $400, although $450 is reg. price (guys cutting me a break since i have to drive ~45 minutes to get it)

heh, if $400 aint too much, paypal me $$ and i'll get you one with mine.

·
NISMOnkey
1,015 Posts
The 8454 has 4 pairs of preouts: high (tweet), mid (mid), low (woofer), and non-fade (sub-woofer). If you want to bi-amp your 2-way components, you'd wire up the high, mid, and low to your tweets, mids, and sub, and cross everything over via the h/u.

I'm still trying to read through all of the stuff in pro-mode, but I haven't messed with any of it first-hand just yet.

I may be able to get your an 8454 for a good price, I'll ask tomorrow when I pick up my dynamat extreme.

·
Registered
631 Posts
tbuh said:
The 8454 has 4 pairs of preouts: high (tweet), mid (mid), low (woofer), and non-fade (sub-woofer). If you want to bi-amp your 2-way components, you'd wire up the high, mid, and low to your tweets, mids, and sub, and cross everything over via the h/u.

I'm still trying to read through all of the stuff in pro-mode, but I haven't messed with any of it first-hand just yet.

I may be able to get your an 8454 for a good price, I'll ask tomorrow when I pick up my dynamat extreme.

sooo...you'd use a Y-splitter to run the woofer / mid to the mids, and the high to the tweeters? im missing something here. doesnt matter. im running one amp (LP T03 HV2.2) to my comps. hmm. i hope i can disable that :/

·
NISMOnkey
1,015 Posts
No, you'd run 3 pairs of RCAs from the head unit (it has 4 pairs of pre-outs, so one is unused) to your amp(s).

·
Project disco potato
680 Posts
evangelos K said:
Are there any Eclipse HU w/ 3way x-overs except the 8454 and 5444 which are more than I want to spend? The 5444 goes for $450+ on ebay....

The Alpine 9833 is ~$300 which is more reasonable.. Do the "lower" model Ecplipse HUs have adjustable 3-way x-overs?

I want to go active, so I need a HU w/ indepented front/rear x-overs since I am bi-amping.
I THINK the CD3434 has 3 way x-overs...don't hold me to that tho i don't know for sure. Regardless its a good deck! lol

·
Registered
631 Posts
tbuh said:
No, you'd run 3 pairs of RCAs from the head unit (it has 4 pairs of pre-outs, so one is unused) to your amp(s).

how do you propose i run 3 sets of RCAs into an amp that only has 1 set of inputs. 3->1=no?. there's probably a feature to disable the 2nd/3rd set of RCAs if you want. i doubt Eclipse is that ignorant to think that everyone who buys their headunit is going to run 3way components and a 6channel amp.

·
El Greco
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
04Vspec said:
I THINK the CD3434 has 3 way x-overs...don't hold me to that tho i don't know for sure. Regardless its a good deck! lol
No matter if it has or not, it does not have AUX in, so I cannot hook up my XM commander (and I will not use an FM modulator to have FM quality from satellite), so it is out of question.

tbuh, how much is the 8454 from your dealer?

I am trying to restrain my self and not spend too much :) Although atm I can afford it, I would like to pay off my car sooner (already ahead on the payments) and get 2 tickets to take my wife to Greece to meet the rest of my family there.

Plus that I love my system, and I really dont need to change anything... it is just the "bug." Thats why I want to do it w/ minimum $ (selling my 7995 and just spending $100 on top of what I will get and get a HU w/ x-over controls).
Audio is nice, but it has no end if you dont restrain yourself :D

·
NISMOnkey
1,015 Posts
It does have aux-in, but you'll have to get a female RCA->male mini-plug converter. The reason it has a mini-plug is for a microphone that comes w/the h/u to automatically calculate your time correction factors for you.

I'm thinking I may be able to get another one for $650, but I'll have to check.

In all seriousness, though, I think both you and your wife would appreciat a trip to Greece more. ;)

·
Registered
631 Posts
tbuh said:
It does have aux-in, but you'll have to get a female RCA->male mini-plug converter. The reason it has a mini-plug is for a microphone that comes w/the h/u to automatically calculate your time correction factors for you.

I'm thinking I may be able to get another one for $650, but I'll have to check.

In all seriousness, though, I think both you and your wife would appreciat a trip to Greece more. ;)
i can get them for $600, or $400 for the 5444

·
El Greco
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tbuh said:

Is this the 3434? That's the model w/o an AUX in I was talking about.

I need to find out if the 3444 has x-over control, time alignment, and AUX in (even in mini jack) and Eclipse's website sucks since they dont have the manual of each model for download, just a PDF file w/ a summary of each model's features.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts