B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Nissan RICE Division
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like some help with my situation. Already searched and got some info, but would like to clarify:

I recently had a DVD player installed with a flip down screen on my Mother-in-law's van. It has an FM Modulator in it, but when she plays DVDs there is a ton of static that makes it impossible to listen to the movie.

Since I don't know crap about installing this stuff I had the place where I bought it do it. I took it back and they put some noise filter thingy on it and it helped a little bit (but not much).

They said the only option left would be to change out the head unit with one that has Auxiliary/ AV outlets in the back. Is this the solution to my problems? Right now the van has the stock radio in it. I don't mind doing it as long as I get some nice clean sound.

Will changing the head unit eliminate the static? Also, there is a whining noise heard while reving the engine. Will that be gone too?

I have a similar problem in my Sentra although the noise is hardly noticeable, but I was thinking of changing out the HU regardless.

Any advice/opinion would be GREATLY appreciated...Cuz she's my Mother-In-Law and I don't want to hear her complain about it!

·
Registered
929 Posts
i say marry someone else who's mother in law doesnt complain so much..............but really what would a noise while revvin the engine have to do with a head unit?

·
Nissan RICE Division
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While searching I found that the whining noise could be possibly coming from the alternator if the DVD player or something wasn't grounded properly. Does that sound about right?

·
SHIFT_my nuts
1,862 Posts
very possible ;) part of the problem too with an FM modulator is that there is signal degredation. The reason they are saying to replace the head unit is so that they can get a better signal directly into the headunit. of course, you'd still want to have them look into the grounding situation for the DVD player first.

·
Nissan RICE Division
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So with a HU with the AV outlets the signal goes directly in to the HU and that should eliminate all the static. Correct?

Will there still be a problem since the DVD unit is programmed to play at a certain frequency (i.e. 88.0-89.5)? Would there still be interference from like an outside station or something?

Sorry about all the questions... :(

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
It sounds like your getting "out-of-tune" static. You know the static you get when you don't have a station perfectly tuned in?

When using an FM modulator, the DVD audio signal is fed to the car's antenna system at a frequency low on the FM band (usually 88-90). If there is a station that broadcasts in that area, and the signal is strong enough, it will overpower the modulator. If the modulator isn't powerful enough, you'll get static.

Swapping in a new headunit would allow a seperate and dedicated signal for DVD audio. The signal quality would be much better, thus the sound would be much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts