B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been discussed before, but I searched and I couldn't find anything on the subject.

These B15's are relatively new cars, but I'm guessing that they share a lot of parts with the previous model.(Correct me on this one if I'm wrong guys.)
I've read in a couple magazines that the SR20DE is amazingly strong from the factory. I read one article where Jim Wolf said it could handle up to 200 hp per liter in stock form. When this car goes off warranty, I plan to switch to forced induction. I would be tickled to death if I didn't have to spend a whole bunch of money and time building the motor up. Here's my real question:

If the motor can take that much abuse, how about the rest of the driveline? Can the limited-slip handle that much? How will the stock clutch and transmission hold up? Also, what mods are available to beef up these components?

I would appreciate anyone's wisdom on this topic.

------------------
2001 SE 5-spd. w/PP Granite, no mods yet.

I miss Florida.... the girls are prettier and the cops are friendlier.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Here's my .02

When you go FI, you will want to change all those little parts that effect your stock to aftermarket power. You will need to change your cams, clutch, trans, and other little things. I don't know much about the sr20de but if jim wolf said 200/liter than I bet it can handle it. I don't know if anyone's got a stage 3 clutch for us...it's all just too new. Wait a few months until se-r comes out then companys will start making some sh*t.

------------------
"Haters Hate This."
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sport Compact Car Magazine (June 00) had a great article on the SR20DE engine that is in the new Sentra.It was titled "Inside the new SR20DE". The key word here is NEW. This article stated that the engine internals were lightened (i.e.,lighter pistons,thinner rings,no main bearing cap girdle, different rocker arms). Notice also that our valve covers are taller than the previuos SR20DE's. The writer said that w/ all of this lightening, would it decrease the durability? Apparently Japan has an exact version of this engine w/ a V-tec type head on it that puts out 195 HP, so he wasn't worried. My only question would be that if this engine has been lightened and it has racing type internals, why was the redline lowered? Shouldn't it be able to rev higher? My biggest gripe w/ this engine is the low redline. It just seems like it could go to at least 7500 RPM like my '93 SE-R!

·
Registered
74 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Todd Swensen:
[Bwhy was the redline lowered? Shouldn't it be able to rev higher? My biggest gripe w/ this engine is the low redline. It just seems like it could go to at least 7500 RPM like my '93 SE-R![/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is an emissions issue, not a durability issue. Nissan, for whatever reason, in order to meet increasingly stringent emissions standards, chose to just lower the redline instead of re-engineering the engine. The switch in 94 to the low-port head was also a concession to emissions standards. The high-port head is actually a better design, in terms of performance, although I have heard speculation that the low-port manifold may flow better.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad you guys brought up the lower redline. I agree that this engine should have no problem revving that high. Does anyone know for sure? If so, is there an ECU available that would allow it to be raised safely? If so, this would be a worthwhile bolt-on for B-15 owners. Once again, I'm pretty sure that the motor can take extra abuse, but what about the clutch, limited slip diff, and transmission? At what HP output would I need to start changing out stock parts for stronger pieces?

------------------
2001 SE 5-spd. w/PP Granite, no mods yet.

I miss Florida.... the girls are prettier and the cops are friendlier.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Todd Swensen:
Notice also that our valve covers are taller than the previuos SR20DE's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the reason our valve covers are taller is due to the newly designed roller cams... our engine was used on japan's spec sentra...... JWT are in development.... I tried to get some installed today... and this was the information I recieved

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires - Hotshot header and CAI on the way!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts