B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a silly (or not so silly) question. Has anyone thought of or has anyone attempted to go dual exhaust on their sentra SE? I am just wondering if this was not only possible but realistic on our cars. Any companies that cater to this out there, and if so would it improve performance enough to be worth it?.
http://members.tripod.com/bopque/sentra/

------------------
2001 SE, Radium, W/PP. 17% all around tint, Dark charcoal leather interior.

·
Registered
605 Posts
you would get no performance increase and it would look really silly. It would also cost more since you would have to purchase 2 mufflers and get a custom system.

------------------
SR20DE..Sorry Si guys.

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
Technically, a dual exhaust isn't possible with a inline-4. You could simulate it by running one tailpipe to the other side of the car, but personally I think it wouldn't look good that way. The back end isn't long enough to hide the muffler.

------------------
2000 SE w/ PP auto in Heatwave

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've actually seen a b15 SE with dual exhaust. It had the exhaust pipes coming out of the bumper! It was the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

M

·
0 Posts
I don't think there is anyway to accomplish it and have it look nice. There isn't much room under the car. Besides, how are you going to split the exhaust, and where are you gonna put the other muffler? You can't simply have a tip on the other side because the muffler is visable on the right side.

Every car that I've seen with a dual exhaust (neons, honda's, ect.) end up looking silly. Just stick with dual tips on the existing muffler and be happy.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back.
- P.O.S. Hotshot CAI (getting sent back, going with Place Racing)

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific."

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
not to mention that to get a dual exhaust system to operate properly,,,,meaning to get equal amounts of smoke to roll out of both sides is a really hard accomplishment and if you don't get it to come out evenly it looks stupid,especially if you live in a colder climate where in the winter you get the moisture coming out.......

Personally I would also have to say it wouldn't look all that good,,,I say leave the duals for the V8 boys,,,Just my .02 cents

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back,Place Racing CAI

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

***My Website***

[This message has been edited by Sentra Styling (edited March 25, 2001).]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Here's my take on the whole thing. First of all, there isn't enough under car real-estate for a full length dual exhaust (unless the pipes were really puny). Second, there is only one set of exhaust ports on a inline four cylinder, so only one header. In a boxer style or V block motor there would be two headers. Usually only the V block and boxer motors can benefit from dual exhaust. However, cost usually forces manufacturers to feed both the headers into one cat and down one pipe and a single muffler. There are very few true full length dual exhaust on common folk vehicles. Some cars that look like they have dual exhaust really just have a splitter in the mid-pipe that goes to two mufflers (Accord V6, Pontiac Sunfire GT). Single exhaust is optimal for our vehicles. Trying to fake dual would actually just hurt performance and make you look like a rice boy.

------------------
rschauby

2001 Sentra SE w/PP auto (radium)
1998 SE-R 5spd

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guess you guys are right. I am happy with the look of the dual tips . It was just a thought and I was curious if anyone had tried it. The more I think of it the more I think it would look off balance and kind of silly. :) http://members.tripod.com/bopque/sentra/

------------------
2001 SE, Radium, W/PP. 17% all around tint, Dark charcoal leather interior.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i have seen a b14 sentra with dual exhausts.... i always wondered how he did it.... :confused:

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - Hotshot Cold Air Intake - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires - Arospeed Shortshifter - Smoke Side Markers
SDsr20de858 pics

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
Either he dropped a V-block motor in it, or he split the pipe into 2 somewhere under the car.

My vote goes for the latter. :)

------------------

·
Registered
259 Posts
usually the dual exhaust in a inline 4 is:

1.totally non functional. they basically weld an additional pipe to the side of the exhaust pipe. it's like an appendix. it does nothing and just sits there.

2. you can use a Y pipe and split it off after the cat, but why? chances are you will lose too much backpressure and it will run crappy.

3. just ricey and ugly.

------------------
MY PAGE

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by danny_hedges:
What if they may 4 into 2 headers?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not possible, or rather, not feasible.

I can't really explain why without graphics, and am unsure if UBB has tags for keeping text monospaced.

------------------

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fuddrucker:
What about the Honda S2000, Audi TT (225hp model), and the older Toyota MR2?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the same thing. The engine exhuasts its gasses into one pipe. Somewhere _AFTER_ the engine, the exhaust piping splits into two. Some makers can hide this well.

I imagine an inline-4 pushing +200 hp has quite an exhaust pressure and would benefit from a rather large exhaust manifold/header branching into 2 pipes.

------------------

·
Registered
259 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fuddrucker:
What about the Honda S2000, Audi TT (225hp model), and the older Toyota MR2?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

exactly, not a true dual exhaust.

i had an 85 mr2 and it had no dual exhaust.

------------------
MY PAGE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would it be feasible, (although no cost effective and stupid to say the least) to have a custom header built and rather than it all going into one pipe just branch into two pipes (kinda like a 4-2-1 header without going to 1) and then have 2 cats and 2 pipes run to the back? (with some quiet mufflers) It wouldn't be true dual exhaust but I would be about as close as you could get. Plus in a spec which has 2 o2 sensors, with the pre cat eliminated you'd have an o2 sensor for the second cat. It's not practical in the least and probably not possible but if it were it'd definitely be one of a kind lol. I'm extremely anti-rice, I don't even really like the thought of my car with a body kit, but I think dual exhaust would be nice as long as it were subtle and looked almost stock.

Edit: I just realized how dead this thread is but I thought about this last night and was excited to actually see an existing thread on this subject haha.

·
Registered
5 Posts
for this dual exhaust trick, you get a stainless(my preference) single inlet/dual outlet flowmaster in appropriate id/od sizes. then bend you up 2 tail pipes up out of sight as much as possible, having them exit in the center of the 2 half moons you cut carefully into your rear valance. or what ever shape your tips will be.... __O___O__. best i can do on here, in not an artist, sorry

·
OGT in 92 from the 1st EP
976 Posts
9 year bump? Really?

Darrick, you could just buy a cheap 4-2-1 header and cut off the piping before the 2-1 collector, then fab up the rest of the exhaust from there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts