B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if downshifting into first is bad, It seems to made a strange whine when I do it, but it slows me down quick. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, are you using first gear to slow you down? If you are, that is referred to as engine breaking and is usually considered not healthy for your car. If you are trying to downshift for acceleration, it takes lot's of practice to learn how to do it correctly. We actually had a previous thread about this. Do a search on double-clutching and I gave an explanation of how and why to do this. To summarize though, downshifting into first causes a lot of wear and tear on the vehicle. I don't kniw where you are getting the whining noise from.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Like I've said in the past, unless you have a rear wheel drive vehicle and downshift on snow/ice to keep the car straight, using transmission to slow down by downshifting makes zero sense. That's what breaks are for. Cheaper to replace brakes for 100 bucks than to replace tranny/clutch for $1500. I can see maybe going down to 3 rd, but that's about it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I must disagree with you gentleman, after all these are "sports cars".I mean you have to use common sense , as for myself from driving the car for a while I know where my rpm are going to be at when I down shift. Don't hammer it but taking the car up to 3500 to 4,000 rpm on a down shift isn't going to hurt anything. I mean it wouldn't be any fun when I'm driving aggressively, that I couldn't brake hard and down shift into the corners.Occasionally at stop lights very gingerly into first gear as well.Adios Amigos

·
Slowcars4life
126 Posts
I used to downshift my car all the time. Until the day my syncros started going bad. I don't know if that was the cause if it wearing down, but I have not downshifted since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts