·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is downshifting that bad for your clutch? cause i think i do it way too much

·
Registered
145 Posts
Should be no problem whatsoever, shift to your hearts delight, ever since I installed my smc shifter I run through the gears just for the fun of it.Let us not forget, this is supposed to be a performance vehicle, not our fathers Oldsmobile or was that Buick Whatever. Adios Amigos:cool:

·
Registered
778 Posts
well it depends on your vurrent rpm. like you dont wanna normally DS to 3rd from 4k on 4th....that would just be too much stress on your clutch. just think of it this way. the more rpm you got, the faster your tranny goes. so if your on the freeway, do not DS to first...and you know that. just use it when you think it is nessary like going up a hill. i learned the hard way.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
I've asked this before, and the concensus seemed to be that if you rev-match the engine to the proper rpm's before letting out the clutch, you're fine. Otherwise, if places too much stress on everything.:)

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
I agree, but

aside for the fun of it, there's very little reason to do it. As my dad once told me (he had a 383 Pontiac-not an Oldsmobile) Breaks are cheaper than clutches- Truer words were never spoken. If you do it a lot you will shorten the life of the vehicle somewhat. Shifting puts more stress on bearings. Thats why engines with auto generally last longer. But I can appreciate where you're comin' from- I was young once two: Go for it.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
I downshift to pass traffic or just to get some balls acceleration going. I don't do it all the time, just when I need to. This is my first stick, so I don't really want to ruin it for myself, but it is really fun to get the engine all going and passin people like nothin. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Learn to heel and toe, that way you can brake and downshift with matched revs all at the same time and be in the right gear for corner exit without coasting while you shift. Saves time and if done properly is very easy on your drivetrain.

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
Re: I agree, but

adc100 said:
As my dad once told me (he had a 383 Pontiac-not an Oldsmobile) Breaks are cheaper than clutches- Truer words were never spoken.

we must have the same dad! ;) mine said that too and he is correct again.

·
Car Noob
2017 VW Golf R
1,827 Posts
Not the same dad. :)

My dad didn't tell me that. You know what he DID tell me, though?

"WHAT!? WHY DO YOU WANT A STICK FOR??? IT'S NOT SAFE! YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IT!"

Well, a few months later, I feel at home with this baby, though I still grind the gears sometimes (habbit of letting the clutch go when I THINK the gear is engaged).

Anyways, I do DS at around 3 to 3.5K RPM. The powerband starts at 4K I think, though the mags and data books says 4.5K I personally don't like to rev it high unless I am racing someone...or my dumbass friend takes a snapshot of a wolf in the middle of the woods, and we both hafta haul *** get to out of there!

VW ripoff, I know. ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Re: Not the same dad. :)

naddie said:
My dad didn't tell me that. You know what he DID tell me, though?

"WHAT!? WHY DO YOU WANT A STICK FOR??? IT'S NOT SAFE!

or my dumbass friend takes a snapshot of a wolf in the middle of the woods, and we both hafta haul *** get to out of there!

VW ripoff, I know. ;)
Just to correct I think it was a Bear :) My mother & uncle said the same thing...Why do you want to drive stick for? Nobody drives stick anymore...I said EVERYONE IN EUROPE still drives stick, and they have the coolest cars in the world, so eat it...Anyways I love it too

Sentra is THE BOMB!!!

·
Car Noob
2017 VW Golf R
1,827 Posts
Re: Re: Not the same dad. :)

NYC_MiKee said:

Just to correct I think it was a Bear :) My mother & uncle said the same thing...Why do you want to drive stick for? Nobody drives stick anymore...I said EVERYONE IN EUROPE still drives stick, and they have the coolest cars in the world, so eat it...Anyways I love it too

Sentra is THE BOMB!!!
I bought this car back in Chicago 'cuz the company that hired me would ship it for free to San Jose. In Chicago, there are more auto drivers, of course. I just wanted to be different, as well. :)

Now that I'm in CA, more than HALF the cars parked in a grocery store parking lot are stick! Hmm... I've fallen back into status quo.... hehe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts