B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the possibly dumb question.

I've got a 2001 Sentra SE w/ PP, but is being leased. I understand that the car isn't mine, but what does that keep me from doing?

Is tuning and modifying a leased car a complete no no? Or are there ways around this so I don't get in trouble with the dealership (or the leasing company)?

If there's anybody who works for Nissan, I wouldn't mind your $0.02.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have never leased a car, but from what I've read, as long
as the car only shows "normal wear and tear" when
you return it, there shouldn't be a problem.

The only thing I would be leery about is the service, since
I believe that most leased vehicles require that the regular
service intervals be performed by the dealer.

If you don't have to worry about the service being done by the dealer, I'd say mod. away... Just save all of the stock
components, and remember how to reinstall them exactly as they were. :)

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
imho

modifying a leased vehicle seems to be an excercise in futility. you are "borrowing" the car basically for 2,3 or 4 years. if you plan to buy it at the end of the lease, (chances are you'll get raped if you do that) wait til after the lease is up. if you do not plan to buy it, why throw your money away? why go thru the hassle of taking everything on and off and on and off when you go to the dealer. do you plan on getting another sentra at the end of the lease? something that the same parts will fit on? if not, well, think about buying a little toy car (AKA: old celica, crx, mr2, 2002, or rx7....you get the point) to mod and leave the lease vehicle alone.

i gave you my thoughts, now where's my penny? pay up man! :D

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Lee is correct I wouldn't bother wasting my cash on a leased vehicle,,cause you don't know if your gonna keep it or not...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mine is leased, and I've made some mods on it... I'm stuck with the car for 4 years, I think it's OK to put some thrills on it...
It's my $ after all...

·
Registered
605 Posts
My friend has a 00' Si, that he leased. Needless to say he has modded it! I haven't talked to him in awhile, but I know he had intake, exhaust, headers, NOS, body kit, ACT clutch, springs, shocks, rims, and probably some other stuff by now.

I asked him what he is going to do about the leasing situation and he told me he was going to put the car back to stock. The NOS isn't too hard to take out and with the abundance of Sis on the road, stock parts aren't too hard to find. We know quite a few peeps with Sis, so it won't be too hard to buy off cheap stock parts, when they start to swap them out for aftermarket.

I think he kept his stock springs/shocks, exhaust, body kit and intake, but sold his rims. His stock clutch was destroyed and the NOS kit can easily be sold to any B16 driver (there are a lot). I think he is only pushing a 50-75 shot nos and he hasn't blown his engine. The engine seems to be in relatively good condition, considering he did most of the mods right(that's for you chip).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I'm truly on the fence for this one.

I know I may not keep the car, but I still have three and a half years to live with it, which is quite a long time imo. And there is a good chance I will keep it (if there's any paint left on it) when my lease is over with.

I think I may go with some simple stuff like intake and exhaust, that's not too hard to replace when or if the time comes to bring it back.

New tires may be my first purchase though.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Do some mods on it, you won't regret it, believe me!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Watch your mileage!! My 97 200sx was a lease. I put 80k on a 3 year 36k lease. (OUCH!) The least expensive way out was to turn it in at the same dealer for 00 SE pp or buy it outright for 10k. The buy out was cheaper really but the clutch was going and it had been rode and put up wet. It stil looked good and I was able to sell all the bolt on goodies after I put the stock stuff back. Don't get rid of anything you change, then you won't have to go buying stuff if you turn it in at the end of the lease. P.S. WATCH THE MILEAGE!!! Probably .12 to .15 a mile over in fee.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mileage is the least of my worries. With all the city driving I do, I'll be lucky to crack 15000kms after my first year, and I am allowed 24000 annually.

Maybe I'll save up the miles and go on a huge road trip later on...

I thought you were going to warn me about the decreased mileage after the mods are done.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
Mod !!! Sorry, but forget the mileage. You're paying for the car to drive it, not have it sit in front of your house! Only a moron takes his leased car back to the dealer at the end of the term- regardless of mileage, condition... The dealer has to offer you a lower amount for it than you could sell it for privately, so he can make a profit. If you sell it yourself at the end, you make that profit margin, instead of the dealer (or at least break even). True- you can roll that loss into the payments of the next car, but you're stuck in the lease cyle, and you'll never get ahead. Dealers love these people. Imagine how much $ you lose at , say $3000 over 5 years, with interest, ON TOP of the price of the next car. Selling privately is the only way to go. I've sold my modded cars as is- no need to undo anything, unless you want to. Enjoy the ride, and make it your own.

[Edited by audio1der on 06-13-2001 at 12:13 PM]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts