B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted before about a faint whistle noise when the clutch was in or letting it out. When its all the way in it doesn't do it.
Well I brought it to the dealership and the tech and I drove it around some residential parts since it quieter. According to him, it seems that it might be the bearing on the clutch plate that might not have enough lubrication. What I find funny is it didn't do this when I first got it...maybe it did after a week (not hard driving since I was breaking it in).

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
312 Posts
The only bearing I can think of is the throwout bearing.
(clutch release bearing)

When they start going bad, you will hear a very faint
whirring noise when the clutch pedal is depressed.
I haven't checked the service manual yet, but I'm sure
that bearing is internally lubricated, so if it's bad
they'll have to replace it.

You can usually get a lot of miles out of them before
they fail though, and I haven't seen any one else post
this problem, so I'd be surprised if that was the problem.

Ya never know though...

G

·
If the Tech. identified the problem, shouldn't they do a little more investigation to determine what the cause is? Obviously, the guy knew something wasn't right.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing is I have 3600KM (2100 miles) on my SE. Its basically 5 weeks old. My dilemna is that I want them to be 100% sure. I don't want them to take it out and then still make that noise. They said they have to take off the clutch assembly, a 4hr job. They guy was supposed to call Nissan for authorization (warranty). They guy never called back and I only called and left a message once.

One thing I'll add is that its very very faint. If the radio is on or the windows are down, you can't hear it. I guess its because I know there's a sound that my gf's SE doesn't do so it bugs me.

[Edited by Crimson on 06-06-2001 at 03:29 PM]

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Like Utah said..

it's the throwout bearing whichiis (probably) greased for life. A new bearing almost never fails in and of itself. It's probably a faulty installation or fit. Hopefully they will check the fit/installation on the shaft/housing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts