B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea, now at 11,250 i did my own oil change.
but i put 4 1/2 quarts in instead of 4 1/8 quarts. i've heard extra oil is bad...
anyone know if the almost 1/2 quart extra oil can potentially be problematic?

p.s. in the maintenance log it says lubricate propeller shaft, whats that?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SE R SpecV OmSi said:
btw ur fine with 4 1/2 quarts, thats usually wut i put... make sure u lubricated the oil filter b4 u put it on too
i took a dab of oil and smeared it around the gasket of the oil filter if thats what u mean.

·
Registered
79 Posts
ok so you changed the oil at 11,250 for the first time or the 4th time (why is it that big of a deal is it full synthetic or is it because you did it???) just not sure here

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DRAGIN said:
ok so you changed the oil at 11,250 for the first time or the 4th time (why is it that big of a deal is it full synthetic or is it because you did it???) just not sure here
this is the second time ive done an oil change, i didnt do it @ 7,500 cause i needed someone to rotate the tires(and they did a free oil change)

im not sure what uer saying but just want to know if this extra bit of oil i put in is harmful>?

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Check it cold and measure how far above the upper level it is. Let me know. You are getting to the point where yu probably should drain a bit off. Did you use the larger (longer filter)?? I always put maybe 4 ounces over. I sort of draw the line at 8 ounces over. But that's just me. You are gonna' be O.K. but I personally would drain off a bit. Its not that big a deal. Just a little messy. Just remove the plug and then screw it right back in and deal with all the oil on your hands. :)

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
adc100 said:
Check it cold and measure how far above the upper level it is. Let me know. You are getting to the point where yu probably should drain a bit off. Did you use the larger (longer filter)?? I always put maybe 4 ounces over. I sort of draw the line at 8 ounces over. But that's just me. You are gonna' be O.K. but I personally would drain off a bit. Its not that big a deal. Just a little messy. Just remove the plug and then screw it right back in and deal with all the oil on your hands. :)
when cold it should be right at the max line correct?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
adc100 said:
Just remove the plug and then screw it right back in and deal with all the oil on your hands. :)
He really doesn't have to remove the plug. You can drain some oil by just loosening the plug or the oil filter. It drips out slowly - but at least it doesn't cause a big mess, and you don't have to scramble with the drain plug threading on to a stream of oil...

·
Registered
39 Posts
removing the drain plug is iffy oil everywhere sucks, just pull the filter and drain it, that should get you back down to the right level.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
mazi said:
removing the drain plug is iffy oil everywhere sucks, just pull the filter and drain it, that should get you back down to the right level.
I've done it-its not a big deal. Loosening the filter may not be a good idea bc the oil will drip on the manifold. And loosening and tightening the rubber gasket is probably not a good idea bc of filter leak later on. Besides you will only get a few ounces out. Just another opinion though. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
The half a quart should cause no big concerns. You might run into a problem with extra oil going thru the PCV though...happened with my WRX.

·
No more Spec
2,549 Posts
It is easy to drain a half quart from the plug. You can do it and barely get any oil on your hands.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts