B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea, now at 11,250 i did my own oil change.
but i put 4 1/2 quarts in instead of 4 1/8 quarts. i've heard extra oil is bad...
anyone know if the almost 1/2 quart extra oil can potentially be problematic?

p.s. in the maintenance log it says lubricate propeller shaft, whats that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SE R SpecV OmSi said:
btw ur fine with 4 1/2 quarts, thats usually wut i put... make sure u lubricated the oil filter b4 u put it on too
i took a dab of oil and smeared it around the gasket of the oil filter if thats what u mean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
ok so you changed the oil at 11,250 for the first time or the 4th time (why is it that big of a deal is it full synthetic or is it because you did it???) just not sure here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DRAGIN said:
ok so you changed the oil at 11,250 for the first time or the 4th time (why is it that big of a deal is it full synthetic or is it because you did it???) just not sure here
this is the second time ive done an oil change, i didnt do it @ 7,500 cause i needed someone to rotate the tires(and they did a free oil change)

im not sure what uer saying but just want to know if this extra bit of oil i put in is harmful>?
 

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
Joined
·
9,081 Posts
Check it cold and measure how far above the upper level it is. Let me know. You are getting to the point where yu probably should drain a bit off. Did you use the larger (longer filter)?? I always put maybe 4 ounces over. I sort of draw the line at 8 ounces over. But that's just me. You are gonna' be O.K. but I personally would drain off a bit. Its not that big a deal. Just a little messy. Just remove the plug and then screw it right back in and deal with all the oil on your hands. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,958 Posts
adc100 said:
Check it cold and measure how far above the upper level it is. Let me know. You are getting to the point where yu probably should drain a bit off. Did you use the larger (longer filter)?? I always put maybe 4 ounces over. I sort of draw the line at 8 ounces over. But that's just me. You are gonna' be O.K. but I personally would drain off a bit. Its not that big a deal. Just a little messy. Just remove the plug and then screw it right back in and deal with all the oil on your hands. :)
when cold it should be right at the max line correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
adc100 said:
Just remove the plug and then screw it right back in and deal with all the oil on your hands. :)
He really doesn't have to remove the plug. You can drain some oil by just loosening the plug or the oil filter. It drips out slowly - but at least it doesn't cause a big mess, and you don't have to scramble with the drain plug threading on to a stream of oil...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
removing the drain plug is iffy oil everywhere sucks, just pull the filter and drain it, that should get you back down to the right level.
 

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
Joined
·
9,081 Posts
mazi said:
removing the drain plug is iffy oil everywhere sucks, just pull the filter and drain it, that should get you back down to the right level.
I've done it-its not a big deal. Loosening the filter may not be a good idea bc the oil will drip on the manifold. And loosening and tightening the rubber gasket is probably not a good idea bc of filter leak later on. Besides you will only get a few ounces out. Just another opinion though. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
The half a quart should cause no big concerns. You might run into a problem with extra oil going thru the PCV though...happened with my WRX.
 

·
No more Spec
Joined
·
2,549 Posts
It is easy to drain a half quart from the plug. You can do it and barely get any oil on your hands.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top