B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
LEMONade
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive an '02 spec with original OEM battery. My car has not shown any signs of battery failure or power loss, I pull up in my garage last night and shut the car off. Then i decide to start it up again real quick, and when i turn the key, nothing.. dead. I didn't know batteries would go without showing any signs? What batteries do you guys recommend? I will probably throw in an Optima red top and call it a day.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure man never had a battery do that, but my car doesn't like it when you turn it off and restart it like right away too, IDK why

·
creating HAVOK
262 Posts
man i had the same thing happen its seems a rare few on here have had the same thing happen. mine started to do that to< i have a SR engine bTW, i just cleaned the the terminals cause they were dirty lasted about another 6 months. then it happended again, cleaned them again.it was good for about a week next thing i know the car stalls in the middle of the street. had to hitch a ride to autozone. my batter was gone so had to get a replacement. it was strange cause everytime up until it died completely i took it to get checked and they said it was a good battery.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Same thing happened to me last week. For some unknown reason the OEM battery on my 02 specv decided to go belly-up! Took it in to autozone, and sure enough it was BAD.

·
creating HAVOK
262 Posts
yeah i know what you **** i didnt know a battery did so much. hell it pulled harder after i changed to the new one. i guess power was lost

·
LEMONade
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried pouring coke on the terminals and wiping them off, i didn't disconnect the battery to do this, but it didn't do anything. I am pretty sure it is gone. Even if i could get it working again, i dont want something that i have to worry about crapping out on me in the next couple months, you know? Maybe i should check all the grounds and the connections to the alternator to make sure its not constantly draining the battery.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There's a Battery Protector gel (for $0.99) u put on the terminals to keep the stuff from building up.. Making sure the battery is tied down securely and clean will make it last longer

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
RR300ZX said:
There's a Battery Protector gel (for $0.99) u put on the terminals to keep the stuff from building up.. Making sure the battery is tied down securely and clean will make it last longer
Exactly..and cleaning with bakingsoda/water works better. I haven't seen the gel you are talking about. I just use Petroleum Jelly. Thanks-I'll check that out-where did you get it???

And don't forget to check the water level inside the cells. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got it from Kragen, but any parts store should have it... I was wondering if our cars have the feature that turns off the headlights if they are left on? :confused:

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
not from my experience..usually the headlight stay on the only thing that shuts off when you leave em on are the interior lights

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Make sure you connections are clean. I'm having to clean my terminals more lately and I've had that happen to me several times.

·
Registered
297 Posts
that happened to me too..i was in mississippi and i decided to saran wrap my friends car....after i finished i went to leave but my car wouldnt start(thinking of bad karma...lol) i had to be jum started everytime i wanted to start the car...then evenutally my rpms were very low and when i floor it...it goes to 2000 rpms...so i just went to walmart and got a temporary battery....lol

·
Love it or leave it...
453 Posts
I have the Red Top. Not only is it a good battery but it looks real sharp under the hood.

·
gone :(
1,283 Posts
All the battery REALLY does is just start the car. Try this start your car. with the car running disconnect your battery the car should still run. It WIll hep it start faster but the car is pretty much controlled by the starter and a capacitor.

·
Iknowyoulovereadingso..
5,527 Posts
^^i was bashed for testing my alternator like that..you could really screw up a lot of things by doing that and also shocking y ourself. the battery does start the car but it also runs the accessories when the engine isnt started.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My OEM battery went out too about a year after I bought it. Nissan stock batteries are the weak sauce.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts