B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
don't replace your brakes because they're ugly. it will cost a lot of money (like a grand) for something that won't make a huge difference cosmetically or preformance-wise.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
wont make a difference? have you ever driven a car with upgraded brakes, a totally different feel, do what you want with your car..but in my opinion brake upgrades are great, they look good and perform even better

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
it's expensive and not really worth it performance wise (the rears do so little of the overall braking). Upgrade the fronts if you care about performance.
If you want rear discs guess you'll have to find a wrecked sentra with rear discs and swap everything over I guess.

·
Registered
493 Posts
qr25deSpecV said:
wont make a difference? have you ever driven a car with upgraded brakes, a totally different feel, do what you want with your car..but in my opinion brake upgrades are great, they look good and perform even better
buying a set of stock rear disc brakes isn't exactly "upgraded" brakes. the reason companies use drums on only their low-model cars now adays is because they occasionally become less-responsive when underwater. also, like b_tapper said, the rears don't do much of the braking anyway. ever notice how the front rims collect much more brake dust than the rears? also, if you want something to really look better and help you brake better, get wider rims and tires. when i was driving on my stock 14" steelies, i almost got in a wreck when my wheels locked and i slid, without even applying much pressure on the pedal. with my 17's, i can brake much harder without worrying about breaking grip.

·
Mazda3 convert
701 Posts
get the rear and master cylinder off of a 2000+ se/se-r that has been junked/wrecked and swap it in, it will be far cheaper.

·
Expert NOOB
177 Posts
he said that he didn't like the look of the drums. the only other option is disc. it's more of a cosmetic thing instead of performance. I agree wider tires would definatley help but if he's going for look then discs would be the way to go. you could always paint the drums black or something if they aren't painted yet

·
Registered
493 Posts
yeah i understand that you don't like the look of the drums, and i'm not trying to be a dick. when i first got this car i wanted to switch them out too. but i just realized that it will be a whole lot of money just to make the brakes look better, and i realized that i don't think its worth it. but if you want, do like cricket_pimp said and just get brakes off of a wrecked one

·
Registered
261 Posts
mealbean said:
buying a set of stock rear disc brakes isn't exactly "upgraded" brakes. the reason companies use drums on only their low-model cars now adays is because they occasionally become less-responsive when underwater. also, like b_tapper said, the rears don't do much of the braking anyway. ever notice how the front rims collect much more brake dust than the rears? also, if you want something to really look better and help you brake better, get wider rims and tires. when i was driving on my stock 14" steelies, i almost got in a wreck when my wheels locked and i slid, without even applying much pressure on the pedal. with my 17's, i can brake much harder without worrying about breaking grip.
That is a good idea to get new rims and tires, but with drums in the back it is gonna look even worse. Whenever I see a really cosmetically modified car with big rims and body kit, but with drum brakes, I always laugh because they look so miniscule behind a big wheel.

·
Is still alive and well?
1,403 Posts
OSU00Sentra said:
What kind of paint did you use?
I used rustoleum flat black.

First I blew everything off w/ an air compressor.. then cleaned them with mineral spirits (paint thinner)
Then I sprayed a few coats on there.. its holding up good after approx 9 months.. go here: http://photos.yahoo.com/ub0rsentra for pics..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts