B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 days ago i lowered my car. everything went perfectly fine to the best of my knowledge. Yesterday i was washing my car and i noticed alot of grease on the inside of my wheel well and on my tie rod and such. and i was like F*uck that cannot be good. now there is a slight rip in the CV boot. i want to know how to replace this part. what tools i need and such. all help is appreciated. should i take it back to Nissan and have them repair it under warrenty?

give me all your help thanks

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
What can be bad about a ripped CV is that dirt and junk will get in with the grease and wreck the half shaft. I was always told it's safer just to replace the half shaft if you don't know what could've gotten into the grease. The boot itself isn't too hard to do I don't think though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Its gonna be fun, you have to remove the axle from the king pin (tire and rotor and everything else you can see from the tire to the actual axle will need to be off) you will need clippers to take the old bands off of the CV boot. they're nothing to get excited about, i'm POSITIVE i'm missing something, that should give you an idea though. The bad part is with it being and 04 and all i doubt anyone will stock it, DO NOT LET the knuckle go dry, or you're done!!
I doubt warranty will cover it, but, it's worth a try... lol

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
meh **** it.... i just called my stealership and im letting them keep it for the day on friday. hopefully i can get this covered under warrenty. i will keep it updated.

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
as soon as they see that the car is lowered they most likely won't cover it.

·
Back for More
3,766 Posts
FuLIsh said:
hopefully he can put back the stock springs before he takes it in
For the aggravation of that alone, he should change the boot himself.

AS for changing the boot:

1) Remove the axle from the car.
2) Cut off the metal retaining bands on the boot. Should be 2 of them.
3) Remove the outer joint from the axle
4) clean up joint
5) install new boot (with new grease, use special cv boot pliers to secure the new bands)
6) reinstall in car

Or

buy an new axle, and install it. Much less aggravation

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have access to all the service prices and things, i can give you a quick quote if you tell me if your car is standard or automatic...?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well my SPG says it's 230.77 a side, i think this one is a lil low though. So there's an idea....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jasondt2001 said:
Well my SPG says it's 230.77 a side, i think this one is a lil low though. So there's an idea....
Does that price include parts or just labour?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it only cost me 180 bucks including labor and the mechanic had it done in 20 minutes and he even cleaned all of the grease off of my wheel for me.

just thought i would update the thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts