B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched "cruise control" and didn't get anything that could help me.

Basically, my cruise control doesnt work, at any speed. It hasn't worked for some time now and I have no idea why. A friend said something about a vacuum?

I push cruise, and the green light lights up Cruise, but when I push set it doesnt do anything at all, when the problem first arose the "set" light on the dash flashed a bunch until I turned the car off.

Any ideas?

02 se-r

·
Registered
255 Posts
clutch

leVitate said:

Basically, my cruise control doesnt work, at any speed. It hasn't worked for some time now and I have no idea why. A friend said something about a vacuum?

I push cruise, and the green light lights up Cruise, but when I push set it doesnt do anything at all, when the problem first arose the "set" light on the dash flashed a bunch until I turned the car off.

Any ideas?

02 se-r
5sp or automatic? if 5sp, do you keep you left foot over the clutch? just a small tap wont let you engage the cruise control.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
leVitate said:

Any ideas?

02 se-r
well when you are cruising when do you try to set the cruise control? make sure you dont have your foot on the break or gas. Also check your fuses. i think there is one for the cruise control.

·
I hate stupid people
289 Posts
Cruise control is a fairly complicated system. You can try to throw parts at it all day and in the end it still might not work. It's not vacuum controled like your friend suggested, it is all electronic and controlled by a module. I would start with making sure your brake switch is working properly and not trying to cancel your setting all the time-but after that it's probably worth while to have an experienced tech with the right tools diagnose it for you. Even paying for the diag might be cheaper than guessing until you get it right.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm having the same problem as you. I read another post where some clown posted that replacing your "air pump" (whatever the hell that is) will fix the problem. WTF IS AN AIRPUMP CAPTAIN C0CKSN1FFER!?!? OMGHI2U

Only difference with my problem is that my car was working perfectly fine until sitting for 8 months while I worked on it. After working on it I am stuck with the cruise control not wanting to set 98% of the time and my car is now slow as all hell for some reason. Somedays I will start it up and drive right away and it will just open up and give me the power it was meant to put down. 98% of the time it does a slow climb across the tach. With my foot to the floor I am lucky to get to 60mph in 13 or 14 seconds on these days.

At this point I will continue to think it is something with the ECU or a sensor. Of course, that's only to give myself relief from the worry. My butterflys are not stuck, they open and I loctited the screws not long ago. The air filter was replaced with a K&N drop in and I have retained my stock intake. The engine is stock minus the Koyo Radiator and a set of Flex-a-Lite puller fans. I am sick of playing with this problem. If I can't dig up some sort of answer in the next few weeks I will just get it looked at when I go to the dealership to have my airbags reset (since I ripped the seats out). I also have to have the guys who inspect my car clear the overheating code the ECU threw after it was started up for the first time in 8 months and didn't have enough radiator fluid.

Another factor to consider: In sitting for 8 months, the car was not plugged to the battery most of the time.

And the stupid solutions are not what causes the "SET" light to blink.. ie. Brake Pedal, Clutch Pedal, Fuse (the damn cruise control light will not even turn on if it's the fuse, stoopid). I'm just fed up with wasting money at the moment and don't feel like paying $1508915 dollars for retard mechanics at a dealership to look at my car and tell my how I have voided the warranty 10fold with cosmetic and stupid electronic mods.

Somebody has obviously had this problem before.. I have seen over 5 instances of it on here. Nobody has posted the culprit. Somebody?

More to add:

Fuel Rail?
O Rings?

I have been noticing hesitant starts once in a while as of late. Sometimes I get a long start.

Other instances of my problem:

http://forums.thevboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=86599
http://forums.thevboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=85725
http://forums.thevboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=85492

·
Registered
4 Posts
leVitate said:
I push cruise, and the green light lights up Cruise, but when I push set it doesnt do anything at all, when the
I am having the same problem, happened after a 900mi. straight trip, replacing fuse for "door light" underhood (runs power locks, dome light, and chime), andreplaced cig. lighter fuse that burnt a few weeks earlier. I had no CC for the 900 mile return trip which was 15 straight hours of ankle torture.

This is not a fuse problem, I removed and tested all fuses in the cabin and underhood fuseboxes.

I assume this problem is electrical, and may be a relay, loose ground connection, and/or the control switch on the steering wheel. (I find myself pressing very hard on set/coast button when tailing interstate traffic out of Memphis) Also going to try resetting the ECU first, found instructions on thevboard.com. I suspect the fuse short may have effected the ECU and disabled CC.

This is not a result of any modification since I have zero mods with this daily driver.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Same here, no mods. I have an appointment set for monday with the stealership around here (Rothrock). Luckily all I have is cosmetic mods, and I do have both a factory warranty and the dealers warranty (Which I'm guessing still won't mean sh1t).. Anyways, I'll continue playing with the problems I am having. I am guessing I have some sort of ecu problem because my parking light brake is almost always on, I am running with reduced power (almost like the electronic throttle needs a re-learn), and am having various other stupid problems that make no sense to someone like me with no good knowledge of an ecu.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Solution To The Problem

I had the same problem until yesterday. It was the clutch pedal postion sensor. Try turning on the CC put your foot behind the clutch pedal and pull up, at the same time try to set the cruise. If this works, you need to check the sensor or replace if neccessary. I also reset the ECU first, but don't know if that affected it. Instructions are on thevboard.com, run a search for ECU code listing and how to (SES Light). This will clear your overheating code. If your brake light on the dash is lit, the cruise will not set, may have to adjust the position switch on your parking brake lever. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem as you. I read another post where some clown posted that replacing your "air pump" (whatever the hell that is) will fix the problem. WTF IS AN AIRPUMP CAPTAIN C0CKSN1FFER!?!? OMGHI2U

Only difference with my problem is that my car was working perfectly fine until sitting for 8 months while I worked on it. After working on it I am stuck with the cruise control not wanting to set 98% of the time and my car is now slow as all hell for some reason. Somedays I will start it up and drive right away and it will just open up and give me the power it was meant to put down. 98% of the time it does a slow climb across the tach. With my foot to the floor I am lucky to get to 60mph in 13 or 14 seconds on these days.
I know this is an insane thread revival but my car is doing the same thing. The cruise won't work and the car is super slow. My SAFC is telling the that throttle won't go over 20%. If anyone has information about these two problems (they are probably related) can you please share? My car is at Nissan right now and they are having trouble diagnosing the issue.

I should also add I don't think that a clutch/brake switch would affect the throttle, thats why I think my situation is different from most of those above. I could be wrong though. Thanks

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Im seeing some misguided information in some of the above posts. I cant remember if the 02 QR25 has a cable or drive by wire throttlebody, the 1.8L is more my forte. So i will touch on both types of Cruise Control. Write back let me know wich one you have.

if its cable throttlebody, there will be 2 cables. one for the gas pedal and one for cruise control that will keep the throttle partially open when cruise is set. make sure its attatched to the throttlebody and moves properly. ive diagnosed quite a few cruise control issues in my day and from the OP's complaint this is the most common problem ive resolved and the first thing i would check.

If drive by wire- This type of cruise control is closely monitored by the ECU, and will typically shut down completely if it sees any malfunction... Wich means if you set, cancel, or use ANY cruise functions and there is a malfunction seen by any sensors the light is not going to illuminate. This may also be true for cable operated cruise control, but with fly by wire the ECU may have stored a code. Assuming you dont have a scanner, i will continue...

Cable or drive by wire,...... The fact that the light is on tells me the sensors that turn the cruise OFF are not malfunctioning, but i'm not 100% sure the light will turn off and would like to confirm this since it is easy to do so.

i would drive the car 35mph or so, set cruise control and make sure the following 5 "cancel" operations turn the light OFF.

1. When you hit brake pedal
2. When you press clutch in
3. Cancel button is pressed
4. Shifter is moved to "park" or "neutral" position
5. When you arent reaching threshold speed
(some vehicles it wont let you set cruise unless your doing 25+mph)

Duplicate these 5 methods of de-activating cruise and let us know if the green cruise light stays ON or goes OFF.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
^^^ Thats some crazy sh*t, i've also read of people on here using L.E.D lights for the rear licence plate and having weird electrical issues that are seemingly unrelated. Just goes to show how sensitive the electronics in these cars are nowdays.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Smoked JDM LED tailights / cruise control problems

Yeah that just happened to me this weekend I been waiting all week for my new smoked LED tail lights I installed them and turned them on with my Halo fogs with yellow projectors and 6000k super white HID's on my 03 B15 Spec V I noticed a lag when I accelerated. I thought I put bad gas in when I went over the border this weekend at a truck crossing to pick the tail lights up. I filled up at chevron gas station located at the border but I did choose the right gas grade. I did a test drive on the highway tried my cruise control then I noticed the light was flashing when I tried to set it..:eek::eek::eek: the highway cruise control test was "after I installed the tail lights" btw then I came home took off the tail lights and put the OEM lights back on it works perfect again...BTW i realize it was the tail lights because when I turned off my lights from the park position It's like I hooked up a turbo and the sweet Spec V acceleration returned... I read another forum and they said resistors or change the flasher relay to a LED compatible one which means I have to change all my outer bulbs including the 1156 amber signal light. I plan to do this anyway I just want to know if anyone did this full conversion yet? And if so where did you order them?:):)

·
Registered
1 Posts

Any ideas?

02 se-r
It could be your brake switch. The brake switch correlates with your cruise control. There is a recall on certain Sentra models. Check your VIN on NHTSA.gov.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts