B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really hope this is in the proper section...

As i have mentioned about a million times, i am moving to Arizona from Michigan. i have decided to lease space in a semi trailer and drive the Spec-V. On a long trip like this, what are some possible mechanical things that could go wrong that i haven't prepared for? Here is what i am bringing in the car:

Tool Box
1 Gallon of Water
Brake Fluid
Quart of Oil
Spare Oil Filter
Proper spare tire and jack

Things i am debating taking with me/ purchasing:
Serpentine Belt
Radiator Hose(s)
Radiator Cap
Power Steering Fluid

Any thoughts additions or comments?

·
Registered
323 Posts
CrimsonShadow said:
i really hope this is in the proper section...

As i have mentioned about a million times, i am moving to Arizona from Michigan. i have decided to lease space in a semi trailer and drive the Spec-V. On a long trip like this, what are some possible mechanical things that could go wrong that i haven't prepared for? Here is what i am bringing in the car:

Tool Box
1 Gallon of Water
Brake Fluid
Quart of Oil
Spare Oil Filter
Proper spare tire and jack

Things i am debating taking with me/ purchasing:
Serpentine Belt
Radiator Hose(s)
Radiator Cap
Power Steering Fluid

Any thoughts additions or comments?
Do you have roadside assistance?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
belt isn't a bad idea... rad hoses are a better idea. Why bring a gallon of water if the ish will just spray out of a bad hose anyhow? :)

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Sounds like you have it all covered but you are definatly overreacting. ;)

I've drive a ford tempo with over 100k on it and 500 extra lbs of crap in it across the entire country. ;)

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'd bring:

Tire sealent (Green Slime)
Radiator hole sealer
Case of beer
Cell Phone

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Yeah, you seem like you're going to be driving to the moon. :rolleyes: ;) j/k

If I were you, I'd like these items "checked" before making that long road trip:

-check all fluids (basically a 30 point check)
-fresh oil/filter change
-a clean air filter
-proper tire pressure
-full tank of gas (fill it up as often as you can during the trip)
-gas can
-spray your front bumper with Pam (non-stick cooking spray) to avoid bugs from sticking to your car

I think it's wise that you bring the items you mentioned...However, it may not be necessary.

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
lawngn0mex said:
belt isn't a bad idea... rad hoses are a better idea. Why bring a gallon of water if the ish will just spray out of a bad hose anyhow? :)
So he can re-fill it after it blows. After replacing the bad hose of course. :)

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Well the hoses are a good idea. But the lower one will almost be impossible to do on the road. Make sure you have a vice grip or channel lock to get the clamps off. And getting the origional clamps back on is difficult. Make sure you have a couple screw clamps of the proper size. And you need a can of waterpump lubricant if you are planning just to dump water in cooling system. I wouldn't worry about the belt=impossible to do on the road.

·
SER Mod Father
3,419 Posts
I have roadside assistance as part of my talk America cell plan so everything fits in 4x1" fix all case LOL Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
29 Posts
How are your tires? If they are good then that works. If you are going to need to replace them soon, do it now and get road hazzard with the purchase..... :cool:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Tony I said:
I'd bring:

Tire sealent (Green Slime)

DAMN ALL YOU PEOPLE THAT USE GREEN SLIME AND FIX A FLAT

do you have any idea how nasty/difficult that stuff is to work with? i work @ NTB, and i dread fixing a tire that has that sh*t in it. ive gone so far as to make the hole bigger with the die grinder *that CANT be fixed* because of that stuff....simply because people DONT F*CKING LISTEN... if you use fix a flat, 99% of the time it WONT work (trust me, ive fixed enough tires to know what works and what doesnt)...all you do is make the tire more difficult to repair, and damage the finish on ANYTHING that it gets on.

at my store, we actually ask if people used fix a flat, and 90+% of the time, we wont touch the tire if they did.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hello Enterprise, yeah, I'd like to rent a Full Size Dodge pickup with a two inch receiver hitch, V-8, with unlimited mileage.

Hi, U-Haul, I need a dual axle car transport for a one way to Arizona. It's hauling a Sentra. What do you mean it exceeds the weight limit you allow....did I say Sentra, I meant Diahatsu Charade...thank you.

This is the way I went and I threw a 4 wheel drive Nissan pickup on it and drove 75mph all the way back to North Carolina from Philadelphia, it's worth it in the long run to save the mileage on your car depending on how close your warranty is to expiring and how you feel about it.

When you add it up with gas and all that though, you might be better off trucking it out their or maybe even hop on an Amtrak and throw the car in a rail car auto transport.

This is all just some ideas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts