B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, just want to know if the way my car is running is normal or needs to be fixed asap... Well for starters, I have about 76,500 miles (mostly highway), 2001 GXE-auto, threw in a catback exhaust, hi-flow cat, CAI, and header (was only in the car for about 13 months), now running with the exhaust manifold... Well my car is running a little hot than usual... my oil is burning through the dipstick a little badly (if you were to take out the dipstick, you would seem smoke coming off from the dipstick and out of the hole from where the dipstick is inserted), the car has rough vibrations and choking feeling when I start the car sometimes and when I hit around 60-70mph theres alot of vibration with the engine and the steering wheel shakes left and right out of the norm... Also the heat would sometimes go cold as if the A/C was on and the car would overheat sometimes (the guage would go up towards the H) ... probably a coolant block somewhere... I touched the hoses going closer towards the firewall, one hose was hot, the other was cold.. kinda odd... Also would anyone know any signs of a cracked block? I'm afraid since that my oil is burning everyday for the past month almost (greyish smoke), could result in this? Well guys any feedbakc would be GREATLY appreciated..
Thanks for your time reading this...

·
gone :(
1,283 Posts
^^damn do you know how much oil has been burning?? Do your fans come on when the car is hot??

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sentrase00 said:
^^damn do you know how much oil has been burning?? Do your fans come on when the car is hot??
Yea the fans come on... I went for a test drive earlier and took a picture of my temp guage.. damn needle was almost near the H... the coolant system isn't circulating correctly... I flushed it 2 weeks ago... still not working good.. also I got the cool radiator installed... the hoses going towards the firewall are cold and sometimes hot... its off and on with them hoses.. I believe there is 4 hoses, but 2 lines with 2 hoses each line running from the engine towards the dash...

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
if one rad hose was hot and one was cold there's DEFINITELY a block somewhere.............get your hands on a stock radiator and see what happens.........something isn't right either in the new radiator or some kind of crap got in your engine.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey a friend of mine told me that there could be a small radiator right behind the firewall and dashboard also..(cd player).. When the hoses go through the firewall, where does it circulate after that?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
well....lets see here.....correct me if i'm wrong but your radiator hose goes into the thermostat and then into the engine...from the engine it goes to the heater core then it goes back to the radiator to be cooled....so if I remember correctly the left hose going through the firewall should be hotter than the right one, but not much....however if I were you I'd check into the thermostat....sounds like its sticking or maybe some of your vaccuum lines are screwed up.....something along those lines

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SPECSen said:
well....lets see here.....correct me if i'm wrong but your radiator hose goes into the thermostat and then into the engine...from the engine it goes to the heater core then it goes back to the radiator to be cooled....so if I remember correctly the left hose going through the firewall should be hotter than the right one, but not much....however if I were you I'd check into the thermostat....sounds like its sticking or maybe some of your vaccuum lines are screwed up.....something along those lines
so its actually normal for one hose to be a little hotter thanthe other hose? I thought it wasn't normal... however, I did change the thermostat recently and it is working perfectly fine.. BUT I will change it again to see if it helps alot.. I took 2 pictures with my camera phone :D on the temperature guage when the needle was almost near the H... Can't post pics, but I can send them to anyone who could... the vacuum lines your talking about... are those the hoses that goes from the radiator to where the firewall is? Also for the heater core, i'm guessin thats the core inside the radiator? Damn i'm confused lol... what confuses me is there a grid or anoter core behind the firewall where the coolant circulates to? Thanks for your replies

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey aslo wouldn't trapped air cause the overheating? I'm assuming that the air bleeder screw is right above the thermostat?

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
You would have to have a lot of air built up to cause that. Maybe it's gunked up internally?? Did you do a flush when you changed or just drain?

·
Casual Lurker
2,135 Posts
Is the smoke dark grey or more of a very light grey almost white ..

This sounds like a you a burning coolant badly and your levels are low and you are just getting cavitation in the water pump ....

Open the rdiator when its cold.. see if you can see coolant if not fill it up and then see if that makes it run cooler then check to see if you are burning it periodicly.

I think you have a blow head gasket .. Blocked coolant galley would stop the flow on the whole system unless you have a whole hose blocked and the back pressure owuld bust it or pop it off.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
^^^^ what he said......a head gasket is very likely possibility.....the heater core IS the "radiator" inside the cab...its in the dash somewhere I believe.......the vaccuum lines are what the car uses (atleast older cars did) to change the temp/vent location on the heater and a/c....you said it was on heat and was blowing cold....here is what I think......

if it starts blowing cold then you have a block in the radiator hoses somewhere or in the heater core itself......the heater works by blowing air through the heater core which has HOT antifreeze in it.....the hot antifreeze heats the air and its blown out the vents.....do you smell antifreeze inside the car? probably not.....the fact that your car is over heating adds another degree to the mix....thats why I think its a blockage somewhere.....if it were a bad heater core than your car wouldn't over heat unless it were low on fluid.....here is what I would do......

1) check the coolant level in the radiator..
2) check the thermostat
3) flush the system

if none of that works then I'd take it to a shop and have them either check for a blown head gasket or check the heater core

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea my next step is to check the heater core.. I think that would be the problem... it seems like its going to be a pain in the *** to even get to it from inside the car... but I got a feeling that it may be blocked... I'm also going to change the thermostat again just for safety reasons... the smoke that is coming out of the oil dipstick is a whitish-grey color... but it's decreasing little by little... it used to be alot, but now its just very little smoke... after the heater core, the water pump would be my next step... as for the head gasket... not too sure on that, didn't even think about that one.. but i'll keep that definitely in mind..

·
Casual Lurker
2,135 Posts
enyce07 said:
Yea my next step is to check the heater core.. I think that would be the problem... it seems like its going to be a pain in the *** to even get to it from inside the car... but I got a feeling that it may be blocked... I'm also going to change the thermostat again just for safety reasons... the smoke that is coming out of the oil dipstick is a whitish-grey color... but it's decreasing little by little... it used to be alot, but now its just very little smoke... after the heater core, the water pump would be my next step... as for the head gasket... not too sure on that, didn't even think about that one.. but i'll keep that definitely in mind..

Its a head gasket ... oil doesnt burn white, you are burning coolant which is getting in to the oil pan. Its very like grey with almost a blueish hue to it a time and you can smell it...

Again just check your radiator to see if you have coolant in it to the top of the core..Also look at your oil if it looks kind of milky.

The core being clogged would have blow out a line by now or busted one. With that much pressure built up because of the heat the hoses would never hold up ..

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JohnO said:
Its a head gasket ... oil doesnt burn white, you are burning coolant which is getting in to the oil pan. Its very like grey with almost a blueish hue to it a time and you can smell it...

Again just check your radiator to see if you have coolant in it to the top of the core..Also look at your oil if it looks kind of milky.

The core being clogged would have blow out a line by now or busted one. With that much pressure built up because of the heat the hoses would never hold up ..
Alright as for the coolant system... so far (knock wood) the heat has been hot... as for the core, it's probably not blocked, but you never know... what would be the symptoms for a blown head gasket? Because i'm thinking that I would lose compression and the car would lose alot of power...
Personally... I think it could be my water pump... I think its finally shot...
I'm going to have it checked out.. as well as the head gasket... but if the head gasket was shot, wouldn't I have oil leaks? I'm just trying to avoid the head gasket at most because it could be a bi*ch to take out and replace...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
yes it is a b!tch to replace...I've done it b4 (not on a sentra)

what he's getting at is that its leaking internally...so the coolant is getting into the oil pan....your oil will look a little "milky" as he called it.....it'll be a greyish color I believe or maybe brownish...I can't remember really what it looked like....your car will over heat...the heater shouldn't blow cold though...after too much driving like that it will start driving like $h!t.....maybe some engine vibrations because antifreeze and water don't lubricate very well....also you'll prolly see some oil deposits in your coolant.....if coolant can get in...more than likely oil can get out....but prolly not as much...

I do believe if the water pump were out then it would more noticable symptoms like leaking from the water pump or if it locked up you obviously wouldn't see it spinning with the belt.....

at this point I have to agree with mr. JohnO....I'm thinking head gasket

·
Registered
202 Posts
OK the heater being block will not cause the car to overheat. If the coolant level is low the heater will go cold when your at idle but when you drive it will work ok. A water is a very simple thing. If it is spinning then it is flowing, The odds of the shaft breaking is not very good. A car can run like crap if its hot with out a blown gasket.
1> check the color of the oil at the filler cap. See if its white or milky

2>Make sure you have enough coolant in the system. Some cars are very hard to get the air pockets out of.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
NISMOPOWERED said:
OK the heater being block will not cause the car to overheat. If the coolant level is low the heater will go cold when your at idle but when you drive it will work ok. A water is a very simple thing. If it is spinning then it is flowing, The odds of the shaft breaking is not very good. A car can run like crap if its hot with out a blown gasket.
1> check the color of the oil at the filler cap. See if its white or milky

2>Make sure you have enough coolant in the system. Some cars are very hard to get the air pockets out of.
Good luck
if the heater CORE is blocked....then how does the coolant get back to the radiator? but we decided it wasn't that a long time ago....now as for driving poorly when its hot....it won't be driving the SAME as if it were a blown head gasket....trust me I've seen both.....what could have happened was when you put the radiator in you didn't fill it enough...causing it to run hotter than normal....which could have caused the gasket to blow...but on the same token...like nismo said...it might just be running hot....because there wasn't enough fluid in it....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts