B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Simian Rex
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you that are interested in getting improved parts for your B15 SE/PP (should also apply at least to the SE-R if not Spec-V),here's some raw data that I found useful:
Code:
The following is data I've compiled about several braking systems on       
US-model Nissan Vehicles.  I've taken the liberty of highlighting several  
items you may or may not find interesting.  I cannot be held accountable   
for the accuracy of this data, but if you find an error or a glaring       
omission, let me know.  Happy braking! :)                                  

+-----------+-----------+-----------+----------------------------+----+    
| Platform  |   Part    |Part Number|  Extra Model Information   |Year|    
|                                                                     |    
|Sentra     |Front Pad  |[color=blue]41060-4L092[/color]|All 2.0 Liter               |2000|    
|(B15)      |           |           |                            |    |    
|           |Front Rotor|[color=green]40206-9E002[/color]|Models with PP Option       |    |    
|           |Rear Pad   |[color=orange]44060-7E690[/color]|                            |    |    
|           |Rear Rotor |[color=red]43206-9E601[/color]|                            |    |    
|Altima     |Front Pad  |[color=blue]41060-4L092[/color]|                            |1993|    
|(U13)      |           |           |                            |    |    
|           |Front Rotor|40206-7J101|                            |    |    
|           |Rear Pad   |[color=orange]44060-7E690[/color]|                            |    |    
|           |Rear Rotor |43206-42R05|                            |    |    
|Altima     |Front Pad  |41060-9E025|                            |1998|    
|(L30)      |           |           |                            |    |    
|           |Front Rotor|[color=green]40206-9E002[/color]|SE and GLE w/16" Alloy      |    |    
|           |           |           |Wheels                      |    |    
|           |Rear Pad   |44060-31U92|                            |    |    
|           |Rear Rotor |[color=red]43206-9E601[/color]|SE Models Only              |    |    

This information (especially colorized) makes it particularly clear that   
the B15 pads and rotors were assembled from Altima parts, at least by the  
numbers.  To speak truthfully, I have absolutely no idea what makes the U13
pads different from the L30 pads, but it seems that Nissan thought they'd  
be better than thier newer counterparts machined for the newer rotors. *   
shrug*  Maybe I'll have a chit-chat about this with my friendly            
parts-counter guy next time we meet.                                       

Some notes on the table:                                                   
 - Part numbers may change; contact a Nissan dealer to verify the details. 
 - I've only included parts for vehicles equipped with four-wheel disc     
brakes.                                                                    
 - I've only listed the "correct" part number for an application.          
 - There's no caliper data; I'm working on this.                           

In conclusion, I'm a monkey; don't take my word for it alone.  Your braking
system is far too important for you to simply assume that I'm right about  
any of this.
This is what I had in mind originally, but this board is not configured for HTML posting. :)

http://www.whack.org/~dren/b15-data/B15_Brake_Crossreference.html

·
Engi-nerd
2,218 Posts
so, we have the old altima pads and the new altima rotors? i dont se any problems with that. the old altimas still stopped well didnt they? i think it has more to do with vehicle size and weight. since our car is lighter with the newer brake rotors even with old pads, we get better performance than the old altima. which means we dont have any need for the pads on the new altima, which would probably just be overkill. just out of curosity, can you check out what the pads and rotors are on the maxima and compare them to these? i'm wondering if the new altima pads are then the same as the maxima pads since the new altima is so much bigger than the old altima, and companies try to use common parts as much as possible. just remember, this is all purely speculation and some educated guessing with some assumptions to push it along, so let me know if you think i could be at all on track with this train of thought.

anyways, with the new rotors, just get high performance pads next time you replace them, and then none of this will matter. either that or a full brake upgrade (big brake kit :D )

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
I was told this when I was shopping for the car! A good selling point- to me anyway. I'm hoping to get some better pads, better fluid, and s/s brake lines. That should be sufficient.

·
Simian Rex
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Driving Illini: Well, technically, we have the old rotors and the even older pads. ;) David fitted a set of '98 pads to his car (makes sense, since we have '98+ rotors to squish them on), and they work fine. I'm really curious to see what the U13/L30 pads look like side-by-side.

audio1nder: I wasn't told that when I bought the car. I wasn't even told why it "pulled funny" going around and coming out of corners (the sales staff had no idea that it had an LSD).

There's been some confusion about these facts, especially on this site, so I thought I'd put it in very clear terms for everybody. I'm adding more data as I get time and the data itself, so this is a perfect work-in-progress; stay tuned, kiddies. :)

·
Simian Rex
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look, everybody! Now it's color!!!

·
Simian Rex
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've also noticed that Brembo makes stock-type rotors for the U13. I'd like to go down to the local stealership and compare a U13 rotor to an L30/P11 rotor, just for giggles and snorts. If they match, we may be able to get PowerSlot rotors RSN...

·
Simian Rex
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MEGA BUMP !

According to the application guide at Mossy Nissan, Power Performance (makers of Power Slot brake rotors) now has an Altima fitment. I don't know when this happened, but I'm happy about it anyway. :) I'll call Power Performance some time soon to confirm:
Code:
1993-2001 ALTIMA - 557 PSL & 557 PSR (front) - 553 PSL & 553 PSR (rear)

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Re: MEGA BUMP !

CowboyDren said:
I'll call Power Performance some time soon to confirm
Definitely keep us posted Jon. Thanks for the data. Since I got the new wheels, I kinda want to get rid of the rusty stock rotors and probably end up painting(rice-ing?) the calipers too. :D

·
Simian Rex
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cosmetics are really the only reason to upgrade our rotors anyway, unless you're using an uber-high-temp compound pad and your front rotors look like lockwashers.

About paint, Marv; I've been thinking about blue. Red doesn't seem to work well with the Avalanche, and I'm really hesitant to go with black. What's on your mind?

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
CowboyDren said:
Cosmetics are really the only reason to upgrade our rotors anyway, unless you're using an uber-high-temp compound pad and your front rotors look like lockwashers.

About paint, Marv; I've been thinking about blue. Red doesn't seem to work well with the Avalanche, and I'm really hesitant to go with black. What's on your mind?
Yeah, from what I have been reading on the list is that an upgrade to stock rotors seem to just be more cosmetic than for performance...which is sorta fine by me! :D

Ahh...about the caliper paint...damn it Jon, I was TOTALLY about the red, like I was for the black rims, now you got me thinking!! Now, I got silver rims and the color scheme I was going for was a white(not avalanche, but it's what I got) and red. :(

·
Registered
195 Posts
Brakes

My advice would be to call Stillen and talk to Adam about brake cross-overs. They were an immense help to me in identifying that my QG brakes were the same as a '93 240. I needed brakes anyway, so I got Brembo cross drilled rotors, ceramic pads, and Valvoline DOT+4 fluid. The difference a amazing. The new brakes perform so much better in all driving situations.

·
NG Autoworks
7,504 Posts
My powerslot cross drilled AND slotted rotors will be here this week. I'll take pics of them and post. They are silver cad plated and OEM size. I called them up and ordered them for a '01 Sentra SE, and he had them made custom for me.....also got me some Axxis Metal Master brake pads and some Goodridge lines.

They are these exact ones:

http://www.powerstoprotors.com/power stop cross drilled and slotted.htm

If you call them, talk to John and tell him Stephen with the '01 Sentra SE that just bought these rotors referred you!

·
Simian Rex
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Powerslot or Powerstop? Last I checked, Power Performance didn't make any drilled rotors at all...

·
NG Autoworks
7,504 Posts
CowboyDren said:
Powerslot or Powerstop? Last I checked, Power Performance didn't make any drilled rotors at all...
Ooops, I guess it's powerstop, oh well, same thing...lol.

For real though, what's the difference? I know different companies.......but quality differences? I wouldn't think there are any?

Oh well, they were a cosmetic mod anyway. I know the s/s lines and the pads are going to make the biggest difference. Only thing the rotes will do is bring a better cooling efficiency. Also, they are cad plated.

·
Simian Rex
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NiceGuy said:
Ooops, I guess it's powerstop, oh well, same thing...lol.
Not quite. ;) I can't vouch for AutoSpecialty's products, but Power Performance only uses Brembo blanks, which have a higher tinsile strength than OEM rotors, and thus a better resistance to cracking. I'm not a fan of drilled rotors, which is another reason that I'd lean towards the Powerslot product, since that's all they do.

And Powerslot rotors are silver-cad plated, too. The primary reason I'm interested in them. ;)

·
Simian Rex
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I'd like to see the pictures, but my name's Jon. ;)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts