B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Car Noob
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlight went out, so I got another 9007 bulb. It was a ***** installing it (passenger side), and I guess I didn't install it right (not a good seal). Either way, condensation started building up quickly, and after 2 minutes of testing it out (after install), I noticed a white clouding of the reflectors. it even got into the blinker's side!

Is that water or what? It doesn't seem to want to go away. I reinstalled it correctly, and it didn't help. I also let the bulb out and hope that it aired out, but no go.

Why the hell did Nissan made it so hard to change the freakin' bulb!!!???

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
Having a bulb-eating car, I am now an expert in bulb replacement.
If you move that black overflow hose out of the way, and turn your hand around so it's backwards, it makes a lot of room to move behind the housing. Try gently pulling the harness, to get the light out of the housing (after turning the collar, of course)
You could remove the bulb, leave the harness out of the housing and go for a drive, or use a hair dryer to blow warm (NOT hot) air in the housing to dry it out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If nothing works, you can drill a small hole on the backside of your headlight housing. That will allow the condensed air out and no more fogging of the headlights. I really don't like doing that, but if all else fails...

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
If you, or anyone you know has a hot tub, ask them if they have any O-ring lube.
Spread a bit of that stuff all over the O-ring on the bulb harness that sits against the rear of the housing.
It's not petroleum-based so it won't eat the O-ring, but it makes a perfect seal.
We used it in the hot tob biz, even dealing with wicked hot water and high pressures.

·
Car Noob
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. It looks like condensation, but I don't understand how it could be - it's warm as hell outside!

But either way, when I leave the bulb out (leaving the housing open for an airway, and not sealed), it didn't clear too much.

Also I noticed that one side seem to be aimed higher than the right!!!???? WTF!?

Nissan needs some serious explaining to do.

·
Registered
667 Posts
naddie said:

Also I noticed that one side seem to be aimed higher than the right!!!???? WTF!?

The driver's side should be aimed lower than the passenger side. This helps reduce blinding oncoming drivers, and is standard for just about every car sold where cars are driven on the right side of the road.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
i had the same problem and my dealership replaced it for free :) ...

matt

·
Registered
39 Posts
My dealer replaced my headlights

I took mine into the dealer a week ago and showed them a cloudy white fog on the inside of both headlights. To make a long story short, they promptly replace both headlights after checking that I was not over the 3/36K warranty on them.

And here I thought they were gonna jack me over....

·
Registered
214 Posts
naddie said:
when factory, they looked even. Now the driver side is higher than the passenger side (opposite of what you said). This is bad. :(
I'm not sure if your model headlights have this, but there is an adjustment nut on top you can use to aim lower or higher. Just park facing a wall and line em up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Chipped_02_GXE,

You simply took your headlights to the dealer and they replaced them for you!?!?!

Were the headlights REALLY foggy?

I'm asking b/c my headlights are foggy too...
but mine are just a little hazy, probably from being sunburnt or just abraison.....(I live in texas and there is a lot of sand and stuff that blows here....)
The point is, i cleaned them like crazy but they still have that haze....it's not cloudy enough to distort the headlight beams but just enough to annoy me......

So do you think if i took my sentra to the dealership they would replace my lights like they did yours? Or would they just laugh at me.....?

·
Vibrant Blue Navy
773 Posts
IStop4NoMan said:
done worry about it man i got that condensation problem too. maybe i should buy the ones with the clear relfectors and be done with it haha.
the clear corners are worse than stock when it comes to condensation. i just installed some on saturday, and even after sealing the seams with silicone i still had my passenger side headlight fog up, particularly around the blinker. i had to take the assembly out last night to remove the condensation, and then had to use a clotheshanger with paper towel on the end to clean the inside of the housing after some of the moisture that collected on the bottom dripped up when i turned it upside down. all i can think of is that moisture got in from the back. i couldn't see any spot i missed with the silicone (sealed all the way around...top and bottom). the turn signal bulb doesn't seem to mount in as well as stock to seal. i may have to apply a little lube or something to try to get it to seal better. and suggestions?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts