B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
spaztastic
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking about installing a cold air intake into my spec-v, my room mate keeps telling me that i should just make my own. thats not exactly what im leaning towards currently but he told me to ask my forum. so any suggestions on the best intake and on weather i should just make my own or not?
thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
matthewspivey85 said:
im thinking about installing a cold air intake into my spec-v, my room mate keeps telling me that i should just make my own. thats not exactly what im leaning towards currently but he told me to ask my forum. so any suggestions on the best intake and on weather i should just make my own or not?
thanks
Just buy one. I have seen some pretty crappy attempts to make them befoer and for the little amount of money they cost just buy an AEM CAI you will be very happy you did.

·
Banned
2,745 Posts
hey japin you got a v6 in your spec v?
if not, then i think you only have a hotshot header not hotshot headers ;)

don't make your own CAI, its a pain in the a55. if you were going to make a short ram then i'd say go ahead, but for a full cold air intake, buy a AEM.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I think I'm going to get the nismo.....its only 30 bucks more.....but um yah....buy don't make.....

·
122 Hours Of Fear
13,552 Posts
Good choice , unless you have the skills of a JWT , AEM , Injen or even Nismo...I'd leave the " ghetto fabricating " just to grilles . :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
SpecVracer315 said:
hey japin you got a v6 in your spec v?
if not, then i think you only have a hotshot header not hotshot headers ;)

Shh, dont tell!

·
Gatineau Dirties? Where?
536 Posts
matthewspivey85 said:
thanks
Just check the classified adds for a used one

·
Registered
527 Posts
The AEM sounds awesome and works well. A friend of mine killed his engine in standing water so be careful otherwise no complaints.

·
Spec V Out - Legacy In!
1,099 Posts
You know....don't be a moron and drive through large puddles then you won't have to worry about it. I love hearing how people kill their engine, you really have to be a moron to try to drive through a nice foot or so puddle for it to really get in there. But you could also get the bypass too and waste more money :D

·
Registered
527 Posts
mtorsani said:
You know....don't be a moron and drive through large puddles then you won't have to worry about it. I love hearing how people kill their engine, you really have to be a moron to try to drive through a nice foot or so puddle for it to really get in there. But you could also get the bypass too and waste more money :D
that's incorrect man. check the news / news archives for colorado as of late. We had record floods yesterday and 1.5 inches fell every hour (a colorado record). Basically every street was flooded. If your like me you take your JEEP on days like that but my friend only had the one car. He was careful but in the end there was no avoiding all the water.

It's something to pay attention to and no you don't have to be a moron to do it.

·
spaztastic
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
preciate the help im gonna have to slap my roommate around a little bit for making the suggestion. does anyone have a set of air vents layin around for sale i know its an odd ? but im lookin for em. i plan on painting them red with silver trim, and the rest of the interior that color scheme in the future. but when you paint the air vents, the little adjuster to direct the air can sometimes not fit back on so i want a backup just in case i screw up the paint job.

·
Banned
3,486 Posts
why doesn't anyone ever reccommend the K&N Typhoon???... same price as nismo, No need to enlarge any holes, Mounting points are perfect it never rattled didn't even have to lay down lining, sounds awesome.. pulls hard up top and a little below... comes with the drycharger... i never used it... K&N is very reputable

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
Just take a quick look at the current state of your car and where you live. If you:

-> are lowered 1" or more
-> use smaller diameter tires than stock
-> live in rainy conditions with many street puddles

then it makes sense to get the Nismo cai for the bypass valve alone. Some have actually fit an AEM bypass on their AEM intake, although I bet the final cost is always higher than the Nismo.

Otherwise my AEM runs solid after 40k with one filter clean/reoil at 30k. Still looks and performs like new. Many here will back me up on this...as long as you install it correctly, regularly maintain the filter, and periodically check the couplers and brackets. More importantly, I drive the CRV during extremely rainy conditions.

And if you have to ask, don't make your own intake system. You risk damaging the MAF sensor ($500...yay!) due to vibration or excess particles. Thankfully the words "dryer vent hose" didn't appear anywhere in your query

·
Registered
527 Posts
japin said:
Just buy one. I have seen some pretty crappy attempts to make them befoer and for the little amount of money they cost just buy an AEM CAI you will be very happy you did.
I 2nd that. You can find it new for $150 and it sounds cool. watch the puddles. :cool:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I haven't heard anyone mention the biggest deal alot of guys suffered from...blown M.A.F
sensors...initially alot of them.
It didn't seem to matter what manufacturer you went with, they all suffered this problem (except K&N it seems which was initially higher priced...but they did their homework).
They all have worked out the bugs by this point, so you can feel pretty confident in buying any of the major manufacturers on the market, but to try and build one on your own, besides the points others have mentioned, would be financial suicide since Nissan doesn't cover their own mistakes let alone our "homemade" ones, and that sensor isn't exactly cheap.
Compare the top brands and take a close look at the product and it's quality ,or lack their of, and I think you'll know which one to go with...even if it costs a little more.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have the Nismo CAI...good thing it came with the bypass valve; I live in the Bay Area. Sounds pretty sick at high RPM's, looks nice in the engine bay. I just hope I don't get pulled over by a cop who wants to check under my hood, since I don't think the Nismo CAI has a CARB #...maybe I shoulda gone with AEM, Injen or K&N...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts