B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know if this is true? or is it the other way around?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't know, but I have the POP Cone, and I usually floor the gas waaaaaaay much more since it's installed, so my mileage has increased quite a lot... My fault, just like thwe sound it makes!!!:D

G

·
I've seen around a 2 MPG increase in my fuel economy since I installed my PR CAI. I am now getting around 27 MPG in a mix of city and highway driving. I am very happy! Power and fuel economy....we can have both!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Like maxx stated I also have noticed an increase in gas mileage as well....but you also gotta think of it this way as well you have more of a tendency to WOT alot more so you'll use more gas.......

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'll have to agree with everybody else, that it's hard not to open it up every time, but when I first installed it, and was booting it every chance I could get I got about 29 mpg, that's with 3/4 highway, and the rest city driving. When I really babied it for a tank, I got about 32 mpg, that's with 50/50 highway/city. I'm very happy with my purchase, by the way I have the PR intake, and highly recomend it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
please explain this then

Okay, so lets say you get more air coming into the engine now, since it is cold. now more air wouldn't that mean that there is more gas being used?? since the ECU will detect more air, so therefore it will start putting in more gas?? so i'd be losing gas mileage no??

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I don't know how to explain it, but like someone else said a long time ago. "go running for awhile, then try running with your hand over your mouth" quoted from someone sorry to affend them if they see it. The engine can breath much easier, I think it can get air easier at normal throttle, when you open it up it breathes even easier too. Ok that's all I can think of now, I'm starting to confuse myself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Someone with better technical expertis, please step up. This is my understanding. I believe that it has to do with air temperature. Stock intake means higher (warmer) temperature, therefore ECU pours in a little rich fuel to get the necessary combustion. CAI means lower (colder) temperature, so trusty ECU can lean out the fuel to gain the same combustive effect. Lean means less fuel being consumed, therefore equals in gas mileage.

Does that sound right? Or am I waaaay off base?

·
Registered
95 Posts
that wouldn't make sense because even in regular K&N drop-in filters, they claim fuel mileage. From what I understand is that when we put in high flow filters, the power comes easier. So the "more power" is where we "save fuel" For example, before you had to say, step on 30% throttle to get to 60km/h in 10 seconds. well, now with "more power", it allows you to get to 60km/h in 9.5secs. So you wouldn't have to keep it at 30%, and maybe back it down to 20%. When we put in the drop-in K&N for my old Corolla, it made quite a bit of difference, something like 5 to 10%, but when we did it to the accord, ZERO difference. But down to it all, just drive it a "bit" easier, WOT less, then that's where the big difference is. Sometimes I do experiments, and well, when I purposely drive it easier... easily 10% increase in fuel mileage.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
awesome

thanks for the input guys! I guess I'll be ordering myself a PRCAI right about now, i think the stage two silvers are running around 207 right?? anyone have any ideas as to the stromung exhausts??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Colder air means denser air, denser air means more air mass, more mass means that you get a bit more air (and therefore fuel) into the cylinders so you get a bigger bang.

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
ok let me explain why CAI is better than stock......as I've learned in flight.....as planes go higher, the air is thinner, and they need a turbo to compress air for more air to combust.......and hot air has generally less oxygen by volume than cold air, hence less cold air entering the engine can combust equally to a large amount of hot air. hence cooler air increases power and mileage.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
Increase in mileage, my butt! My foot has been rivited to the floor to hear the noise at WOT, and my mileage has gone WAY down. Oh, well. Kindof like complaining about a hangover.(self-induced)

·
Registered
19 Posts
audio1der said:
Increase in mileage, my butt! My foot has been rivited to the floor to hear the noise at WOT, and my mileage has gone WAY down. Oh, well. Kindof like complaining about a hangover.(self-induced)
He..he..

I know. It is way too hard to not step on it. But, if you drive the way you were, pre-CAI (come on, try for a couple full tanks of gas), you will notice the difference. I normally average 31.0 mpg ('95 B14 auto 75/25 city/hwy), I could stretched it to almost 32.7mpg. But then again, I have a lead right foot, I now normally get about 28.5 mpg that is with bad O2 sensor.

·
Registered
331 Posts
C'mon guys! If you are so concerned about 2/3 miles less or +, you should have bought an Echo or a Honda Insight or a Prius!!!

You love that sound!!!:D

G

·
I've been averaging 27mpg since my CAI install. My mileage has gone up. Believe me, I play with the "loud pedal" as much as anyone.

Its a great mod in my opinion. The increase in performance is somewhat noticeable, and it gives your car a nice growl. For $200 bucks, its a nice way to enhance your vehicle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bypass valve??

anyone get the bypass valve for this?? For our cars, its the 3 inch piping right?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Re: bypass valve??

Akebono said:
anyone get the bypass valve for this?? For our cars, its the 3 inch piping right?
You are correct.... But I passed on the valve cause I feel it's really not needed....But that's my opinion..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Re: bypass valve??

Sentra Styling said:
You are correct.... But I passed on the valve cause I feel it's really not needed....But that's my opinion..
Unless you live in flood-prone areas of the country where the CAI is subject to submerge under flood water.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts