B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case some of you didn't know, for the last 6 months I have been calling every suspension company under the sun trying to get us something going. Well after every day of calls I am left dissapointed. Well something good happened this week.

I found a company that is making us coilovers. They are a europeon company that is heavily involved in racing. Here is some text on their new S3 coilovers.

S3 Speed Sensitive Suspension

B+G Suspension introduces the new S3 Speed Sensitive Suspension for 2001. Utilizing Formula One shock technology we have designed our new S3 system to give you the optimum handling and control youve come to expect from B+G Suspension products.

The new S3 system features our exclusive digressive valving, which automatically adjusts to changes in the road surface by softening or stiffening dampening forces.

This exclusive low speed bleed system increases dampening forces under cornering and spirited driving while providing a comfortable ride at low speeds and on smooth surfaces.

All S3 systems feature gold cadium plated steel shock bodies with up to 4 inches of ride height adjustment using the new S3 adjustment ring and locking collar. S3 spring sets are tuned for optimum handling utilizing B+G linear rate racing designs. Completing the package are indestructible spring separators with tender springs to maintain proper pre-load.

All S3 shocks are completely re-buildable and can be designed with custom valving and spring rates for drag racing, road racing, and canyon carving.
and here is a picture of the ones for the b15.

Now before you all go off calling them, please don't. They only sell through dealers. Right now they are waiting for a shipment of the b15 ones. They should be here early June.

I have gotten William at http://www.importpartsplus.com setup as a dealer. (Well I told him to give the guy a call and now he is a dealer. ;) )

If there is enough interest I am sure William would be up for a group deal.

As far as pricing it looks like William is going to be charging under $1500 regular price.

Also the spring rates are as follows 375 at front. And he wasn't positive about the rears, he said between 225-275. That is right about in line with what Mike Kojima has recommened.

[Edited by david on 05-17-2001 at 01:28 PM]

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how would a setup like this ride? I know it's all hypothetical, but all of the suspension modded cars I've ridden in were spring/shock combo setups. I've never ridden in a car with a true coilover setup. I was just wondering how these would perform. Sorry, I'm not well versed in suspension...

·
Registered
623 Posts
hehe david, i told u guys so that bg have them for us!!! j/p... nice work david, all weed need is a turbo now, hehe...

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well with the speed sensitive valving it should help it ride a lot better. Plus the tender springs help absorb the smaller bumps instead of using the higher rate linear springs.

·
I am a mother****er
675 Posts
Do these coilovers address our problem with the lack of suspension travel? Are the shock bodies shorter than the OE pieces? they look very nice and if they keep the suspension travel at a reasonable level then I am interested. Just my thoughts and concerns. later

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Damn David you are doing a great job pulling this together for us..I just wish I had that kinda money laying around,,but I'm planning 2 big vacations so my cash flow is low :(

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nismo00 said:
Do these coilovers address our problem with the lack of suspension travel? Are the shock bodies shorter than the OE pieces? they look very nice and if they keep the suspension travel at a reasonable level then I am interested. Just my thoughts and concerns. later
Any suspension mod is pretty much not going to help us with travel, if the shock bodies are shortened then yes they will help us. What they really help with is being able to control the amount of drop based on the travel we need.

They guy couldn't confirm that they were shortened. They were r&d'ed outside the US. He said generally the shock body is shortened 20% from stock.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
This is definitely a very nice mod I wouldn't mind getting in on, but alas I won't have that type of funds till after my cruise next April. Great job David!

·
I am a mother****er
675 Posts
david said:
They guy couldn't confirm that they were shortened. They were r&d'ed outside the US. He said generally the shock body is shortened 20% from stock. [/B]
well any shortening is better than none, so 20% is good on my book. This is one mod that I would really love to have, but $$ is low right now. Very nice job david! later

·
Registered
778 Posts
im in as soon as money flows my way. im looking for suspension but only realistically can afford these in say, 12 months. but i would love a set. good job david!

·
Registered
940 Posts
if this is the only choice, i must say nope. i can not put $1500 on a coil over. just wait to see if something else might come out.

most i will spend is $750. all my cars cost around $750 for KYB AGX adjustable struts with eibach sportlines. a very good setup, for half the price.

·
Registered
940 Posts
now why exactly does the later model b14 suspension work on the new b15, even though it is very similar in design(suspension)?

i bet there are alot of goodies for the b14 we could use!

·
Registered
778 Posts
greendot said:
if this is the only choice, i must say nope. i can not put $1500 on a coil over. just wait to see if something else might come out.

most i will spend is $750. all my cars cost around $750 for KYB AGX adjustable struts with eibach sportlines. a very good setup, for half the price.
well that is true, but remember, this is a sentra. not necessarily the everyday sports car...well, you get my point. see im thinkin that springs would be (rounding higher) about 250, plus when the struts/shocks are made, it will be another 5-600, lets say six :) . well thats about 850 of suspension right there. so youre spending about 600 more for something that will last long and is adjustable. if you blow a set of tokikos, you gots to buy a new set. true coilovers are refillable. and anyways, i think its just cooler. maybe with a group deal, it could srop to say, 1200?

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
nismo00 said:
david said:
They guy couldn't confirm that they were shortened. They were r&d'ed outside the US. He said generally the shock body is shortened 20% from stock.
well any shortening is better than none, so 20% is good on my book. This is one mod that I would really love to have, but $$ is low right now. Very nice job david! later [/B]
since the springs are 20% stiffer, the 20% shorter should equal out quite nicely.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lee said:
one thing i have learned over the years when it comes to mods...

you get what you pay for.
I couldn't agree more. For the price and the performance, coilovers aren't a bad choice. When you're spending $800 on suspension ($600 for struts, $200 for springs) for a bit more, you can get coilovers...

The point about coilovers being re-fillable is something everyone should consider. They pay off in the long run, and are much more adjustable.

Who knows.... we may be able to hook up a group buy someday.
;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts