B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a good flywheel/clutch/pressure plate setup for my Spec V.
Actually, I've only I/H/E/MM but would like to get forced induction next year. I would prefer something else than the JWT combo. I don't want something "extreme" (ex: unsprung 3 pucks), but it would be ok if it was a bit less streatable. What's the most important for me is that I don't want to damage the other parts of my drivetrain with it. According to what I've read, Fidanza flywheels and ClutchNet clutches are really quality products. I will make sure with Fidanza that it's ok with the Spec V crank sensor however. About the clutch, I would go with the Racing 6 Button "E-Z LOCK PRO" ™ Sprung Hub and the Type1 pressure plate that should not damage my clutch leverage system.

Do you think that it would fit with what I want?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The JWT combo looks to be a good product, but I would like to get a setup that can resist to a bit more torque and with a bit more aggressive pedal feel. The JWT combo uses the same material than stock for the clutch disk. It could also be difficult to change parts of the clutch system by something else with the JWT combo.

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
the JWT combo will handle boost on the stock engine without a problem.....now if you plan on upgrading internals you'll probably need the hardcore setup you don't want.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
According to what I have read, the 6 button clutch disk is really less aggressive than the 3 button one and the setup I described should be able to resist to 300 lbs-ft of torque. The JWT combo can resist to 50% more torque than the stock setup, so it looked a bit at the limit to me if I get a turbo.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I would not want to start a debate on the JWT combo here. What I would like to know in fact is if I will be able to use the clutch setup I described without:

1) burning tires or stall at each stop
2) damaging my tranny (or the engine) in the long term
3) eating the flywheel (Fidanza uses 1050 steel for the friction area)

·
El Burro
4,272 Posts
1st off the Spec doesn't have a cable linkage, its all hydraulic.

2nd of all, go to www.specclutch.com. They have different stages of clutches for the spec V.

Centerforce is also coming otu with a clutch for our cars. Its a centrifugal clutch which is good for high HP applications. ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thanks for the info about cable linkage

About Spec clutches, I've seen them, but they have less models than ClutchNet (ClutchNet has 14) and their ceramic clutches are unsprung

I've seen also the Centerforce clutches. There are a lot of bad stories about them on the forums (ex: springs going out the clutch disk and problems with pressure plate), so I would not go with it. ClutchNet has a really good background in comparison.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is a company in Burlington Ontatio Euro-Drive that can build clutches and presure plates for any car. They need the old clutch to make it accurate, they can do flywheels too, but they need the old slug for spec. They are making me a stage 1 cevlar clutch this winter when I pull the motor. $180 can for the clutch, $250 for the presure, and the flywheel has no price until they have the old slug. Pretty cheap and high quality, they do alot of Transport clutches etc. They can do ceramic clutches too but a flywheel is a must.

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
no matter what clutch you buy if it is not a solid disc....i.e. a 6 puck clutch...it won't be all that streetable.....yes a 6 puck cluctch will be more streetable than a 3 puck clutch but still not as streetable as what you seem to be desiring......furthermore....Dion(chillboy) has the MOST POWERFUL SPEC V any of us has ever seen....possibly even in the world....391whp:eek:.....he runs the JWT clutch and flywheel setup and he does not have any issues with it what so ever......you should just call JWT....tell them what you are planning to do with the car and see if they feel that their clutch setup can support that....i'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised by their answer;) (619)442-0680...ask to speak to somebody in their tech department

Late,
Daniel

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I've called ClutchNet and JWT. You were right Daniel, the JWT combo can handle really more than the 50% that I thought. In fact 150% is the clamping force that their PP has in comparison with the stock one, not the maximum torque it can support. So it looks like I'll go with it. And in extra, it is less expensive.

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
glad i was able to steer you in the right direction;)......don't get me wrong.....i'm not saying that no matter what JWT is the best....but for what it sounded like you needed the JWT setup would be best for you.....i figured calling them would help you out more than any of our opinions would.......anyway........i think you'll be more than happy with the JWT setup and you can always adjust the clutch pedal to give you more or less feedback

you should give Andy a call over at HPAutoworks and he'll set you up with the clutch and flywheel kit for a great price......he is the largest JWT distibutor in the country....tell him i sent you;)

Late,
Daniel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts