B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new at this 5 spd business, so I had a question. What kind of maintenance do I have to do on the clutch, like at what miles, change what kind of fluids, have the dealership inspect it? Also, why is it that sometimes when I come to a stop, then go to 1st, it has a hard time engaging? I released the clutch two times, then finally it engaged. Sucks having traffic behind you waiting for me to get my **** straight.

------------------
Marvin
-2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 Spd, Avalanche
Future mods:pR CAI, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System
-Previous Owner 1995 Sentra GXE, w/mods, Auto, Maroon

M

·
0 Posts
I have that problem too.
The clutch itself doesn't require much, if any maintenance. It is a dry clutch, so there aren't any fluids involved with it. I am pretty sure it is hydraulically operated too.

I believe a lot of the grinding is due to the transmission itself, not the clutch. That is why I am looking to switch to a synthetic fluid. I believe we will notice much smoother shifts. 1st gear seems to be the notchiest out of all of them. One good thing to remember is that if you can get the car to roll at all (in either direction) it will make it waaaay easier to get into gear without pushing the clutch in a bunch of times.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (On The Way!!)
- Hotshot CAI (At The Coaters.)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Synthetic fluid? What is that for? Transmission fluid you mean? And if you guys think our sentra's with 1st gear engage is bad...just drive a civic si...it freakin' locks totally and won't let you get to 1st even if the car is doing 3 or 2 mph.

------------------
"ya nahmean?"
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Mr. Sentra:

I don't have the manual in my Sentra. But a couple of things: if it won't go in 1st try going into second and then shoving it up to first (works most of the time). It becomes automatic after a while. Also to save on the throughout bearing in clutch: when you are coming to a stop you can put it in neutral without using the clutch if the engine speed is right- takes a little practice. Also don't ride the clutch. Keep it in neutral with your foot off the clutch as much as possible. Ths syn should help. I had a '69 Camaro that was worse than you can even imagine- that was a man's car for sure. Maybe I'm to conservative but in 40 years of driving I've never had a clutch go bad.

Later.

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with Auto

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a VW model that was known for hard shifting. (Mine was fine though) The technical service bulletin recommended the dealer to install synthetic fluid if a customer complained of hard shifts.

------------------
2001 Sentra SE+PP 5 speed Canadian model

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by adc100:
Mr. Sentra:

I don't have the manual in my Sentra. But a couple of things: if it won't go in 1st try going into second and then shoving it up to first (works most of the time). It becomes automatic after a while. Also to save on the throughout bearing in clutch: when you are coming to a stop you can put it in neutral without using the clutch if the engine speed is right- takes a little practice. Also don't ride the clutch. Keep it in neutral with your foot off the clutch as much as possible. Ths syn should help. I had a '69 Camaro that was worse than you can even imagine- that was a man's car for sure. Maybe I'm to conservative but in 40 years of driving I've never had a clutch go bad.

Later.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey ADC, so you're saying whenever I come up to a light or stop sign that I should throw it in neutral, coast to wherever, and then get in gear when I need go go again? I've been doing that actually ever since I've owned my car, cept people have been telling me that it's better to downshift than to just throw it in neutral. Also, what do you mean by "riding the clutch"? You probably mean pushing it in for a long period of time, right? Hmm.... I think I need some real lessons, all this **** I'm doing is from just messing with other peoples sticks. Another question, I take it the reason why I've been having bad gas mileage is because of the way I drive(gears, gas, clutch), no?

------------------
Marvin
-2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 Spd, Avalanche
Future mods:pR CAI, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System
-Previous Owner 1995 Sentra GXE, w/mods, Auto, Maroon

·
Registered
605 Posts
I love this hydraulic assisted clutch! My B13 had a hard high clutch. This car has a smooth medium clutch, which I like. I drove my friend's SI with a ACT clutch and damn that's a *****. I feel like I am on the leg press machine when driving his car!

------------------
SR20DE..Sorry Si guys.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Mr. Sentra

I don't want to sound like a know it all. These are just my ideas. Have learned a couple things after 40 years of sticks.

Downshifting: Better to wear out 50 dollar brakes than 500 clutch. If you get off the gas well ahead of the stop it will drop in easier. You get better with practice. Don't force it.Dont grind it by getting in another gear. Also by doing this you will get better milage because you will slow down ahead of time.

Practice starting and shifting thru the gears as gently and smoothly as possible. If you can make it behave like an auto trans you are there. Obviously you need to be off the beaten path for this.

Yes riding the clutch is having it in gear and the clutch pressed in. Do this as little as possible. Some people are always playing with the clutch (and wearing it out).

Key here is to practice being smooooothe. Most people can't do it. Don't feel bad.

Lastly don't ever-ever-ever grind gears. You can damage a tooth and that metal floating in there can cause more damage. It will happen now and then. If it happens more than a few times a year thats bad.

Rember- practice smooooothe. BTW I stall once in a while- wife loves it and gets on my case. And yea- I wind it out every now and then- but what can you do with a 4 cyl Toyota Pick up. God I miss my Camaro.
Glad I still have my 650 KAW.

Drive safe,
Al

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with Auto

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I would also have to think that throwing the gears into N wold be better as well ,,,cause what i'm thinking is when you downshift your car goes to higher RPMs and your clutch also works harder and when you throw it into N nothing harder besides your brakes

So I can see what AL(adc100) is saying....but hey thats why i drive an automatic
all i have to remember is when to change the fluid and what not

but on the other hand my 98 Isuzu Amigo has a 5-speed in it and I drive it like the way AL is saying......

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

[This message has been edited by Sentra Styling (edited February 11, 2001).]

·
Registered
57 Posts
1st gear is always the hardest. and from my experience you never really need to downshift. i don't see why you would want to, except in certain circumstances.

------------------
2k Sentra SE Manual w/PP - Black

·
Registered
63 Posts
Finally, I feel better about not downshifting. People had been asking me why I don't downshift. I just told them that it's too much trouble, make engine run in high RPM, save gas. And then I asked them why they DO it. Most of them can't answer that except other people told them so. One guy told me downshifting can save the brake BUT he had to rebuild engine and get a new transmission.

------------------
2000 Sentra GXE
5spd, Convenience Package,Gas Cap Holder

·
Registered
240 Posts
Downshifting. HMMM the Question of Questions. I downshift, and have never fried a clutch, I have replaced clutches due to more power. Hell I drove my Classic (Modded) with the original clutch until 80K(50 of which were with Mods.), then replaced it with a Centerforce which is a POS. The centerforce only lasted 15K miles. The clutch had a defect where it actually through a diaphram spring, which lodged itself into the pressure plate. I feel I have way more control if the car is in gear. I don't downshift into 1st, that is a no-no. If you car is in N, you always run the risk of Accident Avoidance. Remember the Accelerator is a tool also, and if the Car is in N, the Pedal won't do sh*t.

Like in previous posts, if you drive a car smooth without ridding the clutch (I have to add something about this, If you feel the need to "hunt" for the friction point in every gear, I call that riding the clutch also. You should be able to shift gears without the need to find the friction point. The above kind of clutch abuse is more damaging then Popping it.

Also, Don't drive with your foot in the "free play" of the clutch pedal. Remove your foot completely from the pedal.

------------------
Joe Bresloff
http://www.brez.homepage.com

Avalanch Y2K Sentra w\ Performance PAckage, 5sp.
JWT POP w\ Mandrel Intake tube. Gas Holder :)

92 Classic SE-R: POP, Exh, ECU, Header, TB, springs, Sway bars, Tokicos. Stillen Drilled Sport Rotors, Lines, and Metal Master Pads.
96 G20T- POP (AT)

[This message has been edited by joebrez (edited February 18, 2001).]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok, Mr. Sentra,

Obviously, your pretty new to using a manual, and it sounds very much like you still have to master the basics. So, for now, I'd forget any of the advanced stuff for awhile. Downshifting, don't bother with it yet. Skipping gears, not yet.

A clutch is ALL about feel. I wouldn't worry about wearing the clutch out at this point, but more about grinding out the gears. Being new at this I'm sure your gear box is taking a beating. This is want I've done way in the past:

Find a nice empty road, parking lot, or driveway may do. The purpose here is to find the feel for the point where the clutch engages. The must become "intuitive".

Practice easing up on the clutch while easing down on the gas while in first gear. Feel the point where the clutch engages. Do this again and again. Master this on "level" ground.

Then find an empty road or driveway with a very slight incline, just enough so that the car will roll backward very slowly while in neutral. Practive the above again. The purpose here is to be able to hold the car "still" (motionless) on the incline without using the break!

Mastering the above is imperative for "safe" driving. Once you've learned intuitively the engagement poiint, shifting becomes easy as pie!

After a few months then you can think about skipping gears and/or downshifting.

Maxximtl,

Grinding? Grinding? Maybe you meant to use a different word or something, BUT there should NEVER be any Grinding! Grinding is bad.

------------------
2001 SE Auto PP Radium
Someboday Slap Me Pleaseee - For not getting a Manual Transmission

·
Slowcars4life
126 Posts
I used to down shift my car all the time, but then my synchros in my tranny went. I realized then that I would rather pay for new brakes then a new tranny. I used to downshift because everyone I knew also did it. I noticed their trannys kept going so now I think it is very much related. I could see how it could stress out the tranny and the clutch because of the high rpms.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I only downshift when driving in rain or snow so it would slow the car down faster and safer. If you were going 35 and put it on neutral you will have a longer period of time to come to a stop in weather...your brakes will lock and accident.

------------------
"Haters Hate This."
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Lots of good posts on a basic but important subject. Especially joebrez, and sentra man. I didn't mean to imply that you should coast a long way in neutral before u stop. Just before u stop. And don't get carried away with putting in neutral without pressing the clutch-You might to use clutch here. Use the clutch-no problem. Just don't abuse it. Most important=don't grind gears-that's death.

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans
Car partly remanufactured
(Sarcastic comment)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts