Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Neither, pls state why?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering which one should I get? The open ended or the close ended kyokugen? I'm planning on getting those, 4 pc mcgard spline drive and 4 pc mcgard cone seat tuner locks. Yea I know it's overkill but hey I want my Nismo's to be safe. I was also wondering if there is truth about them open ended nuts can cause rust for the stud or something?

·
Canyon junkie! ( ^o^) <3
4,332 Posts
I rather have closed.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'd go with McGard SplineDrives with a cone seat tuner lock for each wheel. McGard does sell a "install kit" which contains 12 splinedrive lugs + 4 locks. The splinedrives also come with a rotating washer-like plate where the lug is seated on the wheel. This prevents the lug from scratching up the wheel where the lug is seated.

I wouldn't recommend Kyokugens lugs. The socket/key is known to strip easily after repeated use (and this is with hand wrenching it on). Plus I don't think their standard seven hexagon lug is as secure as McGard's individual key pattern locks. Not that McGard locks aren't impossible, as is the case with any wheel lock, but it does make it harder for the amateur thief who just needs to carry a Kyokugen key around.

If you're set on Kyokugens, I'd get the closed ones. With open lugs, it makes the wheel stud more prone to rusting. The open lugs are lighter than the closed ones, but it's pretty minimal and doesn't really make a difference.

edit- I re-read your post, and just realized you're going with 3 or 4 different lugs/locks on each wheel? Damn! LOL. But you can never be to too safe though! :)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. I prolly can cancel my order and just get a set of gorillas and mcgards. Where would be the best place to get mcgard's and/or gorillas? Thanks

On a side note, hey Billy, did you get all your stuff yet? I got all except for the FSB which he sent out this morning with tracking and it actually said in transit. The Ti knob is sweet and my shifts are more solid than the one I have and with the weekend coming, I'm going to Pismo beach and before that I'll be tranny/engine oil changing :D so it should be smoother. hehehe.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
civiceater said:
Cool. I prolly can cancel my order and just get a set of gorillas and mcgards. Where would be the best place to get mcgard's and/or gorillas? Thanks

On a side note, hey Billy, did you get all your stuff yet? I got all except for the FSB which he sent out this morning with tracking and it actually said in transit. The Ti knob is sweet and my shifts are more solid than the one I have and with the weekend coming, I'm going to Pismo beach and before that I'll be tranny/engine oil changing :D so it should be smoother. hehehe.
The cheapest pricing I've found for McGard and Gorilla stuff is from www.expressautoparts.com. The only thing is, that website's catalog listing stinks. So you'll have to know what the part numbers to really make a purchase. What are you interested in? 12 Gorilla SplineDrive style lugs + 4 McGard cone seat tuner locks? And what color...like chrome or black? I can help you do some pricing on the part #'s. Go to www.mcgard.com and www.gorilla-auto.com to gather the part #'s you want, or let me know what you're looking for.

I'm glad to hear you've gotten/will be getting all your stuff. I've rec'd almost everything, except for a few accessories like floormats and stuff I've ordered. Unfortunately, my FSTB was all dinged up cuz it wasn't padded up (look like someone pulled it out to look at it and then shoved it back in without the foam wrap). So he'll be sending out a replacement for that.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kaaos said:
The cheapest pricing I've found for McGard and Gorilla stuff is from www.expressautoparts.com. The only thing is, that website's catalog listing stinks. So you'll have to know what the part numbers to really make a purchase. What are you interested in? 12 Gorilla SplineDrive style lugs + 4 McGard cone seat tuner locks? And what color...like chrome or black? I can help you do some pricing on the part #'s. Go to www.mcgard.com and www.gorilla-auto.com to gather the part #'s you want, or let me know what you're looking for.

I'm glad to hear you've gotten/will be getting all your stuff. I've rec'd almost everything, except for a few accessories like floormats and stuff I've ordered. Unfortunately, my FSTB was all dinged up cuz it wasn't padded up (look like someone pulled it out to look at it and then shoved it back in without the foam wrap). So he'll be sending out a replacement for that.
Damn sucks for the FSTB....anyway I was looking into them spline drive from gorilla and 4 tuner locks from mcgard like you said. I like them black chrome ones. I can prolly look the part#'s up myself, but thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
civiceater said:
Damn sucks for the FSTB....anyway I was looking into them spline drive from gorilla and 4 tuner locks from mcgard like you said. I like them black chrome ones. I can prolly look the part#'s up myself, but thanks for the offer.
Expressautoparts.com doesnt carry alot of the Gorilla lugs, but I checked Summit Racing and JC Whitney, and they don't have the black ones in 1.25", unfortunately. Appears Gorilla only makes blue, chrome, and red for the 1.25" size. But I would go for the geniune Splinedrives by McGard, as they can be had for only a bit more. Also, the Gorilla's dont have the rotating washer-like plate like the McGards either. I'm going to eventually replace the Nismo lugs with the McGard SplineDrives. Expressautoparts.com has the McGard SplineDrive black lugs at a good price. The part# for the lugs is 65354BK. Each set ($15.23) comes with 4 lugs, so you will need 3 sets for 12 lugs (total of $45.69). You will also need the lug key, part# 65300 ($6.10). You can plug in the part#'s here: https://www.expressautoparts.com/Accessories/INDEXPART.CFM. Hope this helps.

edit - Expressautoparts has the McGard cone seat tuner locks in black for $33.05, cheapest place I've found them (I bought a set of these last week). Part# is 25354.

edit #2 - just to let you know, McGard does have a install kit package w/ black 12 lugs + 4 locks, but expressautoparts doesnt carrry this part#. So I priced it out and buying them seperately at expautoparts still came out to be cheaper than everywhere else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts