B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2002 Sentra Se-R after driving Hondas for years When my Si finally gave up the ghost (Oil consumption problem along with many other problems) i decided to go with a Nissan. When the engine temp gets up to normal operating tempeture, there is a pinging noise all the time (i only hear it when im idling at a stoplight or when i pull in the garage) it also continues to do it after i shut the car off, it stops after the engine cools down. Im assuming this has something to do with the exhaust getting normally hot but i just want to make sure this is normal. All my car friends say its normal, it is basically just the "cooling down" noise after you shut off the engine. Its just a constant ticking noise only after the engine gets warm. Could this have something to do with too low of an octane fuel and this is the dreaded "knocking", (i usually use 87 octane)? Im not used to Nissan Q engines so im not real sure of their operating procedures, I know this might be a beginner question, but i just want to make sure while it is still in the warranty. Thanks, any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
419 Posts
i thought something was wrong as well when i first had mine, its normal, even the dealer told me so when i was clueless as well

so no worries, alls well

·
Registered
465 Posts
fuel injectors is clicking you here when the engine is running, all the heat shields cooling off after the engine has stoped.

·
She was so young...
254 Posts
SweetR-6 said:
Could this have something to do with too low of an octane fuel and this is the dreaded "knocking", (i usually use 87 octane)?
Not sure about the pinging, it's been argued about a ton here. I do know that your baby needs better than 87! Fill her up w/ Premium, the cost difference per tank is minimal.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
SweetR-6 said:
I just bought a 2002 Sentra Se-R after driving Hondas for years When my Si finally gave up the ghost (Oil consumption problem along with many other problems) i decided to go with a Nissan. When the engine temp gets up to normal operating tempeture, there is a pinging noise all the time (i only hear it when im idling at a stoplight or when i pull in the garage) it also continues to do it after i shut the car off, it stops after the engine cools down. Im assuming this has something to do with the exhaust getting normally hot but i just want to make sure this is normal. All my car friends say its normal, it is basically just the "cooling down" noise after you shut off the engine. Its just a constant ticking noise only after the engine gets warm. Could this have something to do with too low of an octane fuel and this is the dreaded "knocking", (i usually use 87 octane)? Im not used to Nissan Q engines so im not real sure of their operating procedures, I know this might be a beginner question, but i just want to make sure while it is still in the warranty. Thanks, any info would be appreciated.
I'd boost for the 89 octane mid grade at least, just for pure security..

That sound you hear is just the heat shields and catalitic converter popping around when hot, it's normal. Listen to a new forid F150 after it was turned off, you'd think the thing is a bomb... all normal.

removing the cats and the heat shielding thats stuck on the midpipe will cure that, but you'll need a full exhaust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts