B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How sould someone go about cleaning their engine bay? I live in southern ontario and we put more salt on our roads than SNOW and I'm starting to worry about the build up of salt (we're talking 1/8 inch thick in some areas) around parts of my engine bay!

Can I just take the garden hose and hose that sucker down and let sit for a couple hours? Could I maybe include some soap in there too>?

------------------
2001 Sentra SE w/ PP, Cajun Spice, Canadian Spec.

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
I'd be interested in finding out as well. My engine bay is also starting to build up salt and just looking icky (technical term.).

------------------
2000 Sentra SE performance package (radium)
Sunroof/Leather/Tint/Gas cap holder
SMC Short shifter (not yet installed)

G

·
I've been using P21S Total Auto Wash to clean the engine compartment. It is a Ph Balanced Citrus based degreaser. It is safe to use on paint aswell as rubber plastic and metal.

I was told by Carcareonline (a well respected detailing supplier) to avoid products such as simple green and those can engine cleaners like the black plague. They can be VERY acidic, and will harm painted surfaces and can do damage to plastic and rubber (not good.)

The idea is to use the least aggressive technique to get the job done. In addition to the P21S total auto wash, I've been following it up with a coat of Sonax Engine Laquer. It basically protects bare metal finishes. You DON'T want to use it on any painted surface though.

If you want the full story, go to www.carcareonline.com Go to the how-to-articles section and you will find great articles on everything from engine cleaning to how to properly wax your car.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (On The Way!!)
- Hotshot CAI (At The Coaters.)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
a couple of friends would swear to getting there engine's steamed i'm not even sure that's the proper term but i will look into it better cause i am in the same situation as most of you guys are with all the road salt and stuff like that in my area......and thanks maxx for the link...

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1428062&a=10696175

·
I drive an auto...
1,569 Posts
so i shouldnt use simple green to clean the engine cover, intake box/hoses, and exposed metal surfaces?

it says on the bottle that its non-toxic and biodegradable...so i dont c why it would be bad to use in the engine bay...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I use 409, cover the intake (I have a WAI) and the alternator and wet it down, then spray on the 409, let it sit for no longer than a minute and then use the pressure washer or just a hose to spray off, works like a charm.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
SnoGlo said:
I use 409, cover the intake (I have a WAI) and the alternator and wet it down, then spray on the 409, let it sit for no longer than a minute and then use the pressure washer or just a hose to spray off, works like a charm.
You can do this, but make sure the car has been sitting for quite a while, or that cool water will hit all of your metal.. like the manifolds and piping and stress them due to cooling down really fast.. its like putting a frying pan underneath your faucet right when you're done cooking with it... not good for metal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts