B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I was all hyped up about getting the Sentra SE, but more and more I am thinking that maybe I should opt for the Civic Sedan EX. This is coming from the hard to find abs systems on the sentra, the paint problems people are having and that people have with nissans in general, the resale value, and the fact that the car is made in mexico. I really would like a sentra, but the civic for some reason seems to be a better buy. It holds its value better, it's built in Ohio, it gets better gas mileage and I'm starting to like the way the civic looks over the sentra. I'm sure it sounds like I have made my mind up already, but can anyone offer any advice, one way or the other? I know people will be biased towards the sentra, but i still want to know what you think.

·
Registered
119 Posts
here's how I look at it

Better Power -> Sentra SE
Better Cornering -> ???
Looks -> Civic
Resale -> Civic
Mod-ability -> Civic
Gain power from mods-> Sentra SE
Inital Cost -> Sentra SE
Interior -> Sentra SE
Uniqueness(sp?) -> Sentra SE
Gas Mileage -> ??? (I am getting 30mpg)

Advantage Sentra. The new civic has no power. the sentra doesnt have much either, but it is more than the civic ex. You dont need ABS either if you know how to threshold(sp?) brake.

My advice-> get a WRX!!! :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
What Sentra are you comparing the Civic too? The best match in terms of engine for the EX is the GXE not the SE, al least until the new Si and SE-R are available.

The Civic has coupes available if thats what you want, and the Sentra doesn't. I like the styling on the Civic coupe better than the sedan. YMMV.

With the 1.8L engine in the GXE the Sentra gets great mileage. I have averaged over 34 mpg for 30,000 miles. The horsepower spec is about the same, but the Sentra has lots more low end torque.

I occasionally car pool with a friend who has a 2001 Civic HX. He previously had a 2000 HX that was totaled. The 2001 has more power than the 2000, but we both agree my Sentra has more than either.

I don't think too much about resale when I buy a car. I plan on running them until they die. Both of these cars are excellent selections for that.

I personally haven't had any problems with the paint. I have one of the first Sentra's made. I've got a few chips here and there but nothing out of line. I put the mud flaps on after a couple of weeks when I noticed the wheels were kicking up enough junk to ding the sills. The mudflaps have all but eliminated that.

The 2000 Civic was on my short list, but the Sentra engine conviced me to get it. The SE, especially with the performance package, has no comparable Civic at this time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I can really only compare the civic ex to the sentra se because the sentra se is the only sentra available with a sunroof, as is the ex civic. I am looking for a four door, so the coupe is out of the question. Not to mention the coupe is shorter and has less headroom all around, especially in the back. Although I want something more sporty, I don't really need the power from the engine. I should get a smaller engine anyway so I can try and calm my crazy driving habits. As for gas mileage the civic gets 32/38, where as the sentra gets 24/31. The civic is also cheaper by 500 bucks.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i know that you're comparing the civic ex w/the sentra se PP. when i was looking for my car, i had eliminated all but two. the civic lx and the sentra gxe. my main motivation is price (college student=poor) so for the least amount of money, the sentra offered more...everything.
as for the civic ex and the sentra se, i would try out the sentra because the sentra is less common than the civic (i want to be able to find my car in a parking lot full of hondas), and more power for less $. plust i think insurance is less (at least for me).

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
if your not concerned with which has more tuning potential, i go with either the 01 Civic EX or a 01 Toyo Corrola S. Both look tiite and offer kickass gas mileage.

compare them yourself at edmunds.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
I drive a 2001 Sentra SE/PP and my buddy did drive a 2000 Civic EX (punk just upgraded to a 2001 Acura Integra GSR, I'm still bitter! =))

We drive the same route home from work and things get a little crazy sometimes. Judging from those times I would not trade my Sentra for a Civic ever. My Sentra is completely stock and he had aftermarket shocks, but the Sentra out-handled his Civic. Acceleration was fast and away in my favor and the interior had that "tin" feeling to it. I think the Sentra is a much much smoother (and funner) ride.

Just my 2 cents =)

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Perhaps you have made the right choice.

Just some feedback.

Paint has not caused me problems after 6 months.

Civic may be more reliable, but its the luck of the draw. Either could or may not go the distance. My auto trans went out at 50 miles. (made in Japan and not mex). I got the extended warranty so thats not an issue.

Gas milage on the Sentra has potential to go from 30-38. Thats what I get. Civic could do better also but probably not proportionately higher. It's mainly the weight of the car and the manner in which you drive. But still, the extra gas milage may be the most important quality in the future. This energy shortage ain't going away. If you have to drive many miles per year- Civic is your car. I don't have to.

ABS-could be an issue here. Could make the difference.

Sun roof-totally useless and just something else to go wrong or leak. (IMHO)

PP really un-necessary for me. I don't spend that much time in the car and the stero will come up short to my home system anyway. Handling/suspension are more than adequate for me.

Sentra is extremely solid and well built. I cant imagine the Civic is better. I could be wrong.

But when all the smoke clears, the engine tipped the balance. Someone would have to show me an engine which delivers a better ratio of performance to fuel economy and has the known quantity of durability.

Even if you buy the Civic, I'm sure you will be welcome here.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
Well that's just a silly question. Do you enjoy driving? I honestly beleive the Sentra gives a more thorough driving experience. You do have to be fair, as the others mentioned, and compare similar models. it would be equally unfair to compare a Sentra XE to a Civic Si, see? But all else being equal, all of us dive Sentras, so you know where our hearts lie. I truly love my ride, and wouldn't drive a civic unless it was given to me- just my $.02

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you don't care too much about power, how about the Mazda MP3?

I think some touches on the Civic are cheap. For example, no door trim to prevent door dings and their top of the line EX has hubcaps among a few of my complaints.

just my 2 cents.

G

·
Not to be rude, but what does it matter what we think? You are asking people at a Nissan Sentra website whether we think you should buy the car we support, or a competitors model. WHAT DO YOU THINK WE ARE GOING TO TELL YOU?!?!

All I am saying is that you should use your best judgement in trying to buy a car. We all went through the same thing you are, and we picked the Sentra. However, what is the best choice for us may not be the best choice for you.

Read the reviews. Read the websites. Drive both cars. Figure out what is important to you. Then make up YOUR MIND on YOUR OWN. You'll be happier owning the car you want to own, versus the one someone else told you to buy! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey, the new civ has it's share of problems too.

-There was a recall for early 2001 models for the PCM.
-Some people have 5 speeds that pops out of gear [2nd gear]
requiring a new tranny.
-some people experience a weird "clunking" noise in their
suspensions.

BUT there are already mods out for it:
-lowering springs
-a 4-1 header from DC sports
-CAI and other intakes

I got the info from the 2001 Civic discussion group:

http://2k1civic.com
[the site has recently begun to experience some server problems so it may not be fully operational].

If your wondering, no I don't own nor am I getting a Sentra
[it's a long story...], and I plan on getting a "glorified honda civ sedan" : http://www.2001el.com

But the decision ultimately is up to what YOU want.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
You can't compare the SE with the Civic EX... sorry, nope. I wasn't doing that when I was buying my Sentra. I was comparing the Sentra SE with PP to the Accord. The Accord is a closer match but it was hugely expensive.

The Sentra SE w/PP should be a dead hands down answer. You just answered it urself by saying it's an SE with PP.
That means, you get the bigger engine, and power isn't only for racing, it can be safer if u need to get outta certain situations; you get the whole Performance Package, top of the line Sentra vs a Civic EX. NO CONTEST. For the money the Sentra, hands down.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i agree with ppl that you should compare the EX with the GXE...even with the GXE, i still have better touque than the EX. I can beat an EX anyday.....i guess :D

the only thing is with the EX, you can get lots more aftermaket products and you can change whatever you like as long as you are loaded...

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
I know this is an old subject, but I haven't been up on this board in a while so here's my useless .02

I drive an '00 SE w/PP daily and a '01 EX on weekends so...

Engine-wise, I like the SE. I love the kick and purr of the SR20. Even though I have an auto SE and my gf has a 5-speed EX, I still like the feel of the SR20 better. The EX has a new 1.7 motor which is supposed to give more torque than previous generations. Blah, I used to have an EX... and can barely tell the difference. Don't get me wrong, the Civic is stil a fun car to drive... if you have a 5-speed.

Interior and exterior styling goes to the EX hands down. I've never been a huge fan of the Sentra's exterior styling. Can you say "granny"? The new Civic is ugly out of the box but like previous generations, still has potential to at least LOOK sporty when modded. Also IMO, the interior of the Civic is far superior to that of the Sentra. Better climate controls, a useable arm rest for your shifting arm, more aesthetically pleasing interior... everything just seems more solidly put together. Even the power windows roll down at a more consistent pace on the Civic.

Mods... if you're looking to mod, who's to say? Once the SE-R comes out a lot of people here are crossing their fingers that the Sentra community will finally get noticed and we'll have the aftermarket that we've been wishing for. The '01 Civic had mods ready made for it the minute it came out. But who knows?

So it all comes down to what you want. If you want a fun little commuter car with a weaker engine, but has the looks and styling, along with kick *** gas mileage take the Civic. If you want a driver's car with a better engine with more useable power but considerably worse gas mileage and conservative styling, take the Sentra.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Civic Ex are boring to drive and to look at!

Like our post whore mentionned it, don't expect us to be in favor for the Civic... You are at the wrong address man!!
Test drive both cars, and you'll see for yourself! If the SE fits you well, then marry her and be happy!!!!

Make a decision after!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guess I must be smelling those same exhust fumes because I've been shopping the Sentra against and Accord too! The Civic may be in the same class, but appearance wise I think the Accord and Sentra are the ones to compare. I find the new Civic extremely boring looking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts