B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a position to buy a set of brand new 17" chrome rims real cheap ($600 CDN) for my silver b15. However I am having doubts about chrome as opposed to aluminum or alloy. Now I know that chrome is slightly heavier than aluminum and may slow down my car. Im kinda split about which way to go. Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

G

·
Chrome has several dissadvantages. First is weight. Chrome rims are typically MUCH heavier than alloys. Second, is that the chrome is a plating. The plating can expand and contract at a different rate than the metal of the wheel itself. This can cause the chrome to crack and peel over time. A standard alloy wheel is typically the better way to go.

It's up to you. If its a good deal, go for it. Just realize that they will be MUCH heavier than your stock wheel/tire combo, and you will probably notice a drop in performance. If you going just for looks, they might be the ticket, if your going for performance, stay away from them.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
MAXX hit the nail on the head...But I'd like to add that the chrome is alot harder to maintain to keep looking good...and they tend not to last as long as alloy would....

·
Registered
145 Posts
It was my understanding and also from personal experience that the chrome is much easier to maintain than the alloys.On my 94 s-er I was forever having to use a polish to get the brake dust off the alloys.It seemed to ingrain into the alloy wheels.With my chromes all I have to do is wipe them down,plus lifetime warrenty on the chrome plating.Adios Amigos

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
cap said:
It was my understanding and also from personal experience that the chrome is much easier to maintain than the alloys.On my 94 s-er I was forever having to use a polish to get the brake dust off the alloys.It seemed to ingrain into the alloy wheels.With my chromes all I have to do is wipe them down,plus lifetime warrenty on the chrome plating.Adios Amigos
Most alloy's are clear coated so I can't understand why you have such a problem with cleaning.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
They were clear coated, it wasn't an issue at first. However I owned that car for seven years, as a matter of fact I still do its out in the driveway, next to its younger sibling. The alloys are a son of a gun to keep clean and bright, after that clear coat wears off. Adios Amigos

·
Registered
311 Posts
Chrome rims only look really good on black cars, and then only at night when the street lights reflect off them. I tend not to like them on most cars. So there's my opinion, for all it's worth.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like only like chrome rims if they are on an '83 Eldorado

·
Registered
145 Posts
By end of next week should have my Texas Longhorn rack hood ornament in.I imagine it should look right nice with them chrome rims.Adios Amigos

1 - 10 of 10 Posts