B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it common practice to chop the shifter on a 5spd sentra....the dealer I spoke to said many owners take about an inch off the shifter.

My questions are:

1. is it an easy process? just a hacksaw needed?

2. whats the optimal length to chop off?

3. is it difficult to remove the stock leather shift knob AND can it be put back on or does it have to be replaced?

4. any reasons not to do it? the shifter seems pretty high...does it increase drivability at all?

Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
What I have noticed is that many people do not do this as it just really looks good. Drivablity is pretty much going to stay the same, since all you are doing is shortening the shifter. I would recommend saving up and just installing a short shifter. Short shifter doesn't just mean shortening of the shifter. There's more to this, but I would venture to say that people would agree with me.

------------------
Marvin, aka Original Mr Sentra
2000 Nissan Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 spd, Avalanche
Current Mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
104 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eugenefl:
I have seen this topic come and go many times. Here's your answer. (And yes, I have a PaceSetter Short Throw Shifter in my 93 SE)

Cutting your OE shifter does nothing more than enhance the appearance of the stick.

The term "short shifter" is misleading because it has 2 meanings.

If you are going for looks, by all means, hack away and cut and inch or 2 off.

If you want the "short throw" and tight sporty shifting, you'll need to replace it with an aftermarket one. Explanation: An aftermarket shifter is adjustable in height, meaning the you can adjust where the pivotball sits in the shifter coupling. By moving the pivotball higher, you lower the base of the shifter creating a shorter "pendulum" effect. This in turn also lowers the total height of the shifter satisfying the long looking truck shifter.

This concept was a bit difficult for me to grasp at first. I will say that the PaceSetter was one of my most enjoyable mods to install and use to this day.

Check out a picture of it installed on my site, www.akafa1c.nissanpower.com . It's in the mods/picure section. (Warning, site hasn't been updated in ages.)

Hope this helps.

PS - I bought mine from Summit Racing for $95. Check out ANY issue of Sport Compact Car Mag for an ad.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll also add this to the reply, this is definitely good info. :)

------------------
Marvin, aka Original Mr Sentra
2000 Nissan Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 spd, Avalanche
Current Mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake

[This message has been edited by Marvin (edited April 19, 2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts