B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about chopping my shifter and installing this knob:

Does anyone have this knob installed? Do you like it? How much did you pay for it?

Also if anyone has chopped their shifter, how much did you cut off...ideally I'd like to cut the shifter right where the knob connects so I don't have to cut the knob itself off, but is that too short?

How much should I chop off?

I know that it won't improve performance - I will eventually buy an SMC shortshifter, but for now I want a new knob and chopped shifter.

Also, I was thinking about going with a Momo Shift Boot..but they are pretty big and I figure it will be tough to install, since I'll have to remove the panelling around the shifter.

Any advice/suggestions/comments?

Thanks

jn
---------------------
2001 Sentra SE 5spd PP

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
I chopped mine where the shift lever has extra metal on either side to hold the boot up. At first I thought it was too short, but I've grown to love it. I have an Arospeed leather/chrome knob (to match the boot & emerg.brake), but I ran into a problem I think will be univeral when chopping the lever. Because you're chopping the lever, and it tapers as it gets to the top, its very thick at the point where the new knob will sit- probably thicker than where the knob would sit on a proper short shifter. The set screws will not screw into the base of the knob enough to sit flush, and therefore the trim piece that's supposed to screw up onto the base of the knob will not fit. (because of the set screws sticking out) I cut the set screws down, which was REALLY HARD. They're (obviously) hollow so the allan key can sit inside to tighten them, so you can't clamp them into anything to cut them. I ended up not using the supplied bottom trim piece at all, and used a small piece of shiny duct-wrap tape instead. Don't laugh- it actually matches the car really well, and you wouldn't know unless you'd used the stuff before. The factory shift boot still fits perfectly, and after wrapping the lever with electrical tape just below the knob, stays up just fine. I get a lot of compliments on it, and now only you and I know that its not quite the way it was supposed to be!! ;) You can do this, and just keep the trim piece until you get the SMC...

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Couple of things.

Don't bother cutting it down, that is purely cosmetic, you aren't shortening the throw. Just save up for the SMC shifter or the B&M one.

Yes I have that knob. I like it a lot. Metal gets a little hot in the summer but other than that it is ok. I think the leather tends to wear out pretty fast though, but I do a lot of driving.

The momo shift boot isn't going to fit without major modification. Either make your own or leave it stock.

Here is a picture with the smc shifter and the momo shift knob. Yes the console was very dirty.

http://david.b15sentra.net/pics/shifter/console.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

Did you chop it above or below the metal pieces that hold the boot? Did you remove the shifter to chop it or did you do it in the car?

I'm gonna take a look at the Arospeed knobs..but I think I really like the Momo one. Hopefully the momo knob will fit better than the arospeed did for you

I know that chopping the stock shifter is purely cosmetic..that will do until I get an smc.

Thanks again

audio1der said:
I chopped mine where the shift lever has extra metal on either side to hold the boot up. At first I thought it was too short, but I've grown to love it. I have an Arospeed leather/chrome knob (to match the boot & emerg.brake), but I ran into a problem I think will be univeral when chopping the lever. Because you're chopping the lever, and it tapers as it gets to the top, its very thick at the point where the new knob will sit- probably thicker than where the knob would sit on a proper short shifter. The set screws will not screw into the base of the knob enough to sit flush, and therefore the trim piece that's supposed to screw up onto the base of the knob will not fit. (because of the set screws sticking out) I cut the set screws down, which was REALLY HARD. They're (obviously) hollow so the allan key can sit inside to tighten them, so you can't clamp them into anything to cut them. I ended up not using the supplied bottom trim piece at all, and used a small piece of shiny duct-wrap tape instead. Don't laugh- it actually matches the car really well, and you wouldn't know unless you'd used the stuff before. The factory shift boot still fits perfectly, and after wrapping the lever with electrical tape just below the knob, stays up just fine. I get a lot of compliments on it, and now only you and I know that its not quite the way it was supposed to be!! ;) You can do this, and just keep the trim piece until you get the SMC...

G

·
I would have to imagine that chopping the stock shifter is a major PITA. Your better off just waiting to get the SMC. Why do the work twice?

I have a Momo Competition knob on the way for my car. I purchaced it from William at Import Parts Plus. He is a great guy. http://www.importpartsplus.com

He deals with the entire Momo line exclusively. He has had bad experiences with other models not fitting properly or staying secured. Paying the extra money is worthwhile.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I chopped the shifter on my '94 about an inch below the bottom of the original shift knob. The throw isn't shortened, but it looks really good. Cutting through the shifter is a bit of a pain, but a half hour with a hacksaw and mine was cut in two. My aftermarket shift knob was a bit of a pain - the hole was too large for the shifter, so I wrapped the top of the shifter with some duct tape and stuck the shift knob on. It holds really well and you can't see the duct tape at all.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
I chopped it right above where the "knobs" on either side to hold the boot on were. Duh!(me) Then I had to cut one of those off so the knob would fit on the stalk at all! That's why the elec. tape to hold up the boot. UPDATE! Don't buy Arospeed. What a piece of crap. Two days after I bought it, the chrome trim piece came off in my hand. No big deal, right? Wrong. It was fine for the two days, so when I had to reattach it, I crazy-glued it. Immediately after that, it started to buzz, because of the vibrations from the tranny. I can't get it to stop. I can't get anything under the lip of the trim piece, because it's crazy glued. So I ca'nt glue it any better. Dammit, now I need anothe knob. The knob and pedals together were only $55US, but when they got here, they were $140CAN, plus $35 to get it across the border. That means I'm throwing away an $85 shift knob. AAARRRGGGHH!!! Get a good knob the first time. I left it in the car to do. Just put a grocery bag over the knob, with a slit in the bottom so it barely fits over- that will catch all the shavings. Just hold onto it with one hand while you saw with the other. Good luck- that was a #%&@* of a cut. Oh- try filing the edges of the shifter-stalk down so that it's narrower where the set screws tighten against. That should let you get them in flush.

·
Slowcars4life
126 Posts
I'm having problems with my Momo shift knob. It keeps coming off. I still havn't found a way to keep it on their tighter.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
Help for Danny

Danny- go get some "JB Weld" from an auto parts store. Its a two-part epoxy, made for metal. Use it up inside the shift knob to help hold itself onto the stalk. Also, use Loctite on the threads of the set screws, and you'll be in good shape.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Easy

I chopped mine..Put a Momo shifter and boot on my lunch break.
Of course i have the reality that i can get any part to my vehicle for nothing. it helps when you work for nissan. Anyway I cut the shiter just below were the threads end for the stock shifter. I also grinded down the little knobs on the shifter assy to allow for the Momo shifter to fit all the way down. Now for the Momo shifter boot. I had to cut out the elastic band at the bottom of the boot plus about 1 and a half inches. If you pop of the trim around the shifter tou can see how the stock boot is on by pressure. TO make it easy and to keep the Momo boot from having that sunken in look i simply put the Momo boot on top of the stock boot. The leather was just thin enough to fit with that factory in place. Hope that helped. Looks great too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Anyone have a SITE or online store for the B&M or SMC short shifter?

Thanks

·
Course Deviation Driving
443 Posts
I have almost the same model except it is full leather on the ball.I went with the model I got for sun and heat reasons or I would have gotten that one.It's nice don't even bother with cutting it till you try it out first cause it sits a little lower than the stock knob, I like it where it is now,you might too.Any way good choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts