B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, fiberimages is getting ready to produce our hood. u guys can goto fiberimages.com and check out their strength test on their hoods! their hoods r lighter and more durable than any other carbonfiber hoods out there. the hoods will be 500$ and be ready in 2-3 weeks. so if anyone is interested, please reply to this post so i can get them to make the hood faster :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
those tests are not valid

I'm a ceramic engineer I took a grad level course last fall, as an undergrad, on carbon. we covered every thing from bucky-balls to carbon fiber applications. The professor works for the military as a materials consultant. She is world renound in the field.

What they have on their sites are not strength tests. I'd call them impact resistance. I you want strength tests you have to to a compression test like a frontal impact test. Carbon fiber can deflect in a similar way to metal. There are 2 main types of carbon fiber. Woven ($$$$) and pressed (similar to MDF) which is not as expensive.

If they use a woven carbon fiber, what you saw would cause internal strands to stretch at the carbon-carbon bond level. In addition strands were probably broken you just can't see them. If it was pressed, the resin/polymer that holds the pieces together allowed the deflection of the hood as you saw when the guy jumped on it.

what those viedos are is nothing more than cleaver marketing as I'd be willing to bet that there is a considerable amount of polymer in their products to hold them together.

doc

chinoworld said:
hey guys, fiberimages is getting ready to produce our hood. u guys can goto fiberimages.com and check out their strength test on their hoods! their hoods r lighter and more durable than any other carbonfiber hoods out there. the hoods will be 500$ and be ready in 2-3 weeks. so if anyone is interested, please reply to this post so i can get them to make the hood faster :)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Re: those tests are not valid

Dr. Mario said:
I'm a ceramic engineer I took a grad level course last fall, as an undergrad, on carbon. we covered every thing from bucky-balls to carbon fiber applications. The professor works for the military as a materials consultant. She is world renound in the field.

What they have on their sites are not strength tests. I'd call them impact resistance. I you want strength tests you have to to a compression test like a frontal impact test. Carbon fiber can deflect in a similar way to metal. There are 2 main types of carbon fiber. Woven ($$$$) and pressed (similar to MDF) which is not as expensive.

If they use a woven carbon fiber, what you saw would cause internal strands to stretch at the carbon-carbon bond level. In addition strands were probably broken you just can't see them. If it was pressed, the resin/polymer that holds the pieces together allowed the deflection of the hood as you saw when the guy jumped on it.

what those viedos are is nothing more than cleaver marketing as I'd be willing to bet that there is a considerable amount of polymer in their products to hold them together.

doc

chinoworld said:
WHOA Doc that was pretty deep man,,,,But what the hell are Bucky Balls? :D

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, all i know is that they just had 2 cars that wrecked. 1 of them was totalled and the other rolled down a hill with their hoods intact!

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
hay DG Motorsports has there sentra hoods right know

DG Motorsports has Carbon Fiber hoods out right know for the sentra and they are CLEAN, Top and Bottom. They come with a 1 year warranty for fit and finish. so if you are not happy with it send it back for a full refund.... Ask FiberImages to do that!!!!

Im just lettin you know from personal experience...

Chris

oh DG Motorsports info is
760-433-7413

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Re: hay DG Motorsports has there sentra hoods right know

ser_ious said:
DG Motorsports has Carbon Fiber hoods out right know for the sentra and they are CLEAN, Top and Bottom. They come with a 1 year warranty for fit and finish. so if you are not happy with it send it back for a full refund.... Ask FiberImages to do that!!!!

Im just lettin you know from personal experience...

Chris

oh DG Motorsports info is
760-433-7413
How much do they weigh compared to the stock hoods? Still no one has answered this question.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SDsr20de858 said:
honestly...... what point does jumping on your hood serve?
fran, say if ur hood pops open while ur driving, ur hood would shatter. but the fi ones will hold up. i've driven atleast 3 cars where its hood flew open on me and shatters the windshield and the hood.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
my hood wouldnt fly open because it uses the stock latch and is well secured..... but if it did, it wouldnt shatter. The have had a ride in an accident, front bumper and right fender were demolished but the hood still in perfect condition..... Im sure that DG's carbonfiber and CFI carbonfiber arent much different

but if you need someone to jump on a hood to prove that its strong... then thats just a matter of opinion

but if it did fly open, and shattered, I would have another hood, no hassles in about 2 weeks thanks to my one year warranty

now I know CFI has NO WARRANTY..... I think I remember seeing somewhere CFI saying something like...... once you buy... thats it... no refunds and all sales are final... am I wrong?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts