B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got back from korea last wednesday, and the car seemed to work fine on wednesday. but on thursday night i noticed wit wouldnt start. not just the simple fuel pump didnt engage type thing where u just re-start after u hear the fuel pump engage. i was sittin in my car this morning for over 10minutes tryin to start my car. finally got it started. it barely started, i had to pump the gas a few tyms b4 it did. i stopped at home but when i tried to leave the car wouldnt start no matter how many tyms i tried. engine wont even turn. its just sittin in my parkin lot now. stupid nissan...

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
put some purified water in that crap nissan battery. mine was leaky. spend 120 bucks, bought an optima sealed battery. problem solved.

·
Registered
177 Posts
there is also a recall on the fuel lines, in cold places since there is not screens at least I think the moisture in the lines will freeze and cause the car not to start

·
Registered
177 Posts
2002-2003 Nissan Altima Fuel Pump Screen Campaign and Update on Altima/Sentra 2.5 Liter Engine Exhaust Voluntary Safety Recall Campaign [Aug. 13, 03]

Background
Nissan will be conducting a voluntary safety recall campaign on certain model year 2002 and 2003 Altima vehicles as noted below.

Nissan has expanded the VIN range of the previously announced Altima/Sentra 2.5 Liter Engine Exhaust Voluntary Safety Recall Campaign (FYI03:033) as noted below. The initial owner notifications were delayed until July. All other information from FYI03:033 is still applicable.

As these unrelated campaigns include overlapping VIN's a coordinated owner notification will be utilized such that those owners affected by both campaigns will receive a single letter to minimize confusion.

Reason for Action
At extremely cold temperatures (defined as 15°F/-9°C), moisture in the fuel tank may freeze and form ice crystals. These ice crystals may obstruct the suction opening of the fuel pump. This can prevent the supply of fuel to the engine and cause the engine to stop.

Nissan Action
Nissan plans to begin notifying owners of potentially affected vehicles in August 2003. In addition to direct customer contact (via mail), Nissan will post recall information on the www.nissanusa.com website at the same time owner letters are mailed.

U.S. owners of vehicles in states where extremely cold temperatures can occur in the winter will be requested to take their vehicle to a Nissan dealer. These states include Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Massachusetts, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. The cold weather states account for approximately 120,000 vehicles in the total campaign. A screen will be installed at the suction opening of the fuel pump to prevent ice crystals from obstructing the suction opening.

Owners in the other states will be informed about this incident and advised that they do not need to have their vehicle repaired unless they drive their vehicle during the winter in any of the above states or in areas where extreme cold temperatures occur. However, any owner in the other states may have the recall repair performed on their vehicle at their request.

Statement
"Nissan North America is conducting a voluntary safety recall of model year 2002 and 2003 Altimas. At extremely cold temperatures, moisture in the fuel tank may freeze and form ice crystals. These ice crystals may obstruct the suction opening of the fuel pump. This can prevent the supply of fuel to the engine and cause the engine to stop. Nissan will inspect and correct affected vehicles with the addition of a screen at the fuel pump opening. All repairs will be made at no cost to the customer. Nissan is committed to a high level of customer safety and service and will be working with its dealers to promptly address this condition. Customers will be notified by mail if their vehicle is affected by this recall."

Please direct any media inquiries to Eric Booth, Nissan Corporate Communications at 310-771-3014.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It could be that stiupid Crank Senor...that will cause your car to not start or have a delayed start.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have posted the similar problem I had a few times. It's a long story, so to make it short, I have been to dealer several times. They will finally be replacing my ecm/ecu when it arrives. Apparently nissan is replacing a lot of these. My Service Engine Soon light is still on.

Good luck, just have them replace the ecu. Hopefully this will solve it. If not, I plan to get rid of it.

My big question is to people that keep on posting how they haven't had any problems, and how we -the few - just happened to get a lemon, how about all the people that have had problems. It's rediculous!!! Stop being in DENIAL!!!

I have had 3 Nissan pickups, and I never experienced a problem, and I drove the hell out of them. Face it the 2002 sentra se-r has many problems - you who haven't, have been lucky.

I will give the ecu replacement one more chance, and if that fails, bye.

·
13.05 @ 111mph
194 Posts
I had a similar problem about six months ago, It turned out that the starter wire snapped off in the harness and if it was wiggled the right way it would start, eventualy it did not start at all. Nissan blamed my CompuStar Alarm car starter, After testing though they found that the harness was too tight and when you started the car(lots of engine movement), it would stress the wire in the harness eventualy causing it to break off.. Hope this helps. good luck!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts