B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...
I went to six flags today, and while riding one of the ride (superman).
I dropped the key somewhere...
so i wend back to my house and got the spare key, that the dealers gave me when i bought the car.
So i put in the key (the usual precedure) I hear it crank but it wont turn over..
So i called the dealership and told them my situation, and he said " well sir, that isn;t possible for whats happening. and he told me that it might be becuase my battery is low.
but my headlights worked, airconditioning, and my system...
what the hell is going on???
My mods are I/h/e.
03 spec v.
oh, i tried jumping the cable too...
thanks for reading

·
Foolishly Impractical
966 Posts
Cranks but wont start with the spare key? Sounds like the immobilizer system. I'd bet that the spare key was never programmed to the security system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ya, does your key have a little transponder in the handle? It looks like a little square in the black part, and it's usually a different color. It was a little blue square on my Altima key.

My 04 Sentra key doesn't have one, but I believe one of the options packages(forget which) :p includes the transponder/immobilizer system, which crap out sometimes, and need to be reprogrammed by the dealer, as Amplified2000 said.

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
Here the keys you should have:

The red one is the valet (that don't open the trunk) and the black one is the master. But on both keys you see that little square at the bottom... this is where reside the transponder chip that your immobilizer system need to read to start the engine.

Is your second key look like this?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I also have a spare key, looks exactly the same as the key that I usually use for my car... it works fine.. you should goto the dealership where you bought the car and got your set of keys from and let them take care of it... makes no sense getting a spare key that doesn't work... kinda defeats the whole purpose ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Believe it or not CHECK YOUR BATTERY

I had been having the same problems. Took it to the dealer 5 times in one week for no start isssues towing it in the last day. They first tested the battery when the car had been driven in and it was fine.

They next did the TSB for the new starter on it, put in fuel system cleaner, reprogrammed the ECU. Fine for the first few starts (car was still warm) after sitting overnight didnt start, had to tow.

Got to the dealer, NOW PISSED, speak with the Service Manager, "AWWW Man that there sound like a dead battery" Im like NO F&*^king way YOU tested it and it was good. So he brings the tester out again (car was cold since I towed it and didnt run it) BATTERY WAS DEAD!!!!

Turns out the car needs SOOOOOOOOO much juice that the battery powered EVERYTHING at once, all stereo, lights fogs etc. But that still doesnt equal the juice needed to start. Replaced the battery, after 1 year nissan pays half. (check the warranty it BLOWS) car cranks no problem, and has had NO PROBLEMS for the past two weeks. I dunno what the deal is but I guess the manager was right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts