B15 Sentra Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Captain Underpants
324 Posts
stuofsci02 said:
Just take 12 Volts from somewhere else. Your switch likely has another set of terminals on the back..
It's impossible with the switch that I have. It's an open or closed switch. When it's closed there's a parallel path through the bulb to ground (the bulb only lights when the switch is closed). I have to supply a ground to the DRL module, not a +12V like you would usually to a lamp. So basically I'm putting GND to the positive terminal and the lamp is actually the DRL module. I left the ground terminal disconnected on the switch because there is no use for it.

The DRL module can take an open circuit signal. The schematic shows it as open circuit when the parking brake is released...besides that's the way mine is wired and it works. So there's no need for a double pole, double throw (dpdt) switch...a single pole, double throw (spdt) switch will suffice.

·
"Founder of GTi-R City"
413 Posts
Angel2167882 please take time to read.

Hello, my name is Greg, I have been trying to purchase DRL's for a while. I do not know where to get them, though the best place is a factory module. I wanted the DRL's but it would take about 2 weeks to get them and I nned a car before Monday. I then decided that I would take what was on the lot. So I got a B15 Sentra, though it did not have the washer fluid light or DRL's. Can you help me out with this, I need you to mail me pictures and info to teach/show me how to hook this up in my car. I will provide pictures of whatever you may need or want to help you out. Thank you. -Greg [email protected] this is my email address at home. Thank all of you for your help.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Re: Angel2167882 please take time to read.

87SENTRASE, you do know that the "B15" stands for the bodystyle of the 00- sentras right? if yours is an 87 you have like a b12 or something (im not very knowledgable on the bodystyle history of the sentras), just thought i would let you know

·
"Founder of GTi-R City"
413 Posts
Oooops, my mistake!

I should have been more specific! I have a B12, J11, B15, J30, & A33. All SE's all sticks. Except the J30, it's a GXE auto. Yes I am in need of help with the B15, my forum name is 87SENTRASE. ;)
Please hit me back with help. -Greg

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Re: Angel2167882 please take time to read.

87SENTRASE said:
Hello, my name is Greg, I have been trying to purchase DRL's for a while. I do not know where to get them, though the best place is a factory module. I wanted the DRL's but it would take about 2 weeks to get them and I nned a car before Monday. I then decided that I would take what was on the lot. So I got a B15 Sentra, though it did not have the washer fluid light or DRL's. Can you help me out with this, I need you to mail me pictures and info to teach/show me how to hook this up in my car. I will provide pictures of whatever you may need or want to help you out. Thank you. -Greg [email protected] this is my email address at home. Thank all of you for your help.
Hum... I would like to help you the best I can but I think it's IMPOSSIBLE. Why? Because I think US B15 have a completly different headlight wiring... a more conventional "direct thru" wiring. So how you would be able to connect a factory DLCU without the missing harness, wires and relay your car don't have? Plus, bypassing all your existing factory wiring setup...

I don't know at all US B15 so maybe someone else could help you better than me :( Sorry

P.S. Did'nt know that US model did'nt have the "near empty" windshield washer fluid warning light ;) I also have heated mirror and a block heater just to make you more jaleous :p

Cya

·
"Founder of GTi-R City"
413 Posts
B15 at the Hard Times Cafe.

Yes this is a U.S. spec B15 though the U.S. spec B12's offered optional DRL headlights from the factory. Other models (B13-B14) U.S. spec did not, bummer. We want DRL's & you guys rip them out. Neon under car kits are legal in the U.S. but people do not really see it as ALL-HOT stuff over here. While in Holland they are COMPLETELY illegal and if found with them on while driving will constitute a hefty fine. . . Can you believe that! Amazing how people want what they do not have or crave what is not common or availble were they are! As for jealous just on the DRL's & the washer fluid light. Otherwise this is a SE Limited Anniversary Edition B15 it has. . . battery warmer, engine block heater, grill same color as the car (not black), auto dimming with temp gauge rear looker mirror, 9 speaker stero with silly in trunck sub wannabe (Q-Logic looking reject fake me out 6.25 sub), in dash 6-disc CD changer, unique shift knob with aluminum top accent, 32 piece dash accent kit (covers upper storage & sunroof controls too), sunrrof wind deflector & sunroof (DUH), all season floor mats, trunk organizer, charcoal leather with the little holes in the seats & door panels, wheel locks, Stillen Hi-Flow intake, 2.25 dual tipped stainless steel exhaust, Stillen sway bar, & chrome plated wheels. Stillen parts for sale I never wanted them but they came with the car purchased new at a Nissan Dealer in Laurel, Maryland. Sitting on the showroom floor, I had to get it.

·
"Founder of GTi-R City"
413 Posts
Strange Car?

Just wanted to make this offer to ones interested. A bunch of folks can talk it, not many can walk it! No hate guys, I have many chums in Canada lol, just want to make it clear. Since I cannot post pictures here, if you want me to mail you pictures of this car to prove I am no poser. Mail me at my address [email protected] and I will mail you some of the craziest B15 pictures you may have never seen I personally have not/never seen two of these yet. Not being cocky though just have some pictures for your scrap CD, take care my buddies (who may want to kill me for sounding so boastful) -Greg

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just to inform you that I just did the NO-DRL mod w/switch on my new 2003 Spec-V and it is EXACTLY the same as my 2002 GXE used in this how-to. No difference in the wire colors, parking brake light don't stay on, etc.

We just hope the setup will be the same for the 2004!

·
Registered
697 Posts
all this to turn off the DRL's :D ...i actually wish i had them...i loved them after time in my Corolla.....on in the day....turned the headlights on by themselves at night.....and turned all the lights on when you start the car at night.....it was a fantastic thing...it was hard to get used to having to turn my headlights on after 2 ½ years w/ the corolla

·
"Founder of GTi-R City"
413 Posts
I know that's right.

Nissan should have integrated this tech into USA spec models. '04 Spec-V looks just like other models, no more of that unique agressive look of it's own. Still no site of the classic SE either, I guess it died in 2001 so those last generation SE owners (B15) have a classic? Cut the SE for a step-down SE-R, the Spec-V SE-R is the real deal. Why make both? The spec-V just belittles Standard SE-R owners! Rebirth of the SE!

·
Registered
382 Posts
SaintCL11 said:
all this to turn off the DRL's :D ...i actually wish i had them...i loved them after time in my Corolla.....on in the day....turned the headlights on by themselves at night.....and turned all the lights on when you start the car at night.....it was a fantastic thing...it was hard to get used to having to turn my headlights on after 2 ½ years w/ the corolla
its interesting you say that. a study was just done on people who THINK that DRL turn on their headlights.
Your corolla (read: crappy low end car) had all kinds of electronics (read: expensive a la Mercedes) to govern lights turning on/off automatically?
I dont think so.
either it had a lights off circuit when the key is switched to "off" or you were running around with only DRLs on at night with no taillights.
You are going to dispute this im sure but do you know how many people i see doidn this every day? the problem is that you turn on your car in your garage or up against a wall and you see light and think its headlights..... then you drive around thinking (read: like a dumbass) that your headlights turn on automatically.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have found a lot of good information on these forums.. thanks guys!!

I am trying to fix my DRL as I just bought a 93 maxima from Ontario, and have to safety it here in Sask. My DRL's only turn on the left head light, and sometimes none at all... from reading here, if they are wired in series, only having 1 headlight turn on doesn't make sense that the DRL module is fried like the stealership says to me, but having none come on does. All the lights work when I use the switch, and when I use high beams, therefore I dont think its loose wiring.

SO... here is an alternative if you are looking to install DRL on your car, even if it has never been installed before.

This will work for MOST cars, only a few exeptions as listed on the --box--. Yes, you can buy a DRL module from Canadian tire for 25$ and it ties into your current wiring. It is a "no cut system" (they include those crappy push connectors). To know when the car is turned on, it has a wire wrap around the spark plug wire I believe (I dont have the box here in front of me). I doesn't just turn on your headlights, but you can wire in park and tail lights as well.
The problem I have is that I'm afraid that the stock DRL module will turn on and supply another voltage source to the lights.. but the mod to disable the daytime running lights will work great!! Sometimes mods are beneficial for things your dont even think of :)

If anyone can see a problem with this plan, give me a better idea, or tell me I'm an idiot for not seeing an obvious problem, please do tell!

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
42 Posts
Your DRL will also stop working if one of your high beams is burnt out. I drove around town for 2 months without DRL, and used just my parking lights which actually look pretty cool on their own at dusk.

I since replaced the faulty lightbulb and have DRL again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[QUOTE = "Spec V Boi، post: 390806، member: 7465"]
  1. من المستحيل مع التبديل الذي لدي. إنه مفتاح مفتوح أو مغلق. عندما يكون مغلقًا ، يوجد مسار موازٍ عبر المصباح إلى الأرض (يضيء المصباح فقط عندما يكون المفتاح مغلقًا). لا بد لي من توفير أرضية لوحدة DRL ، وليس + 12V مثلما تفعل عادةً مع المصباح. لذا بشكل أساسي ، أضع GND على الطرف الموجب والمصباح هو وحدة DRL. تركت المحطة الأرضية مفصولة على المفتاح لأنه لا يوجد استخدام لها.
يمكن لوحدة DRL أن تأخذ إشارة دائرة مفتوحة. يظهر الرسم التخطيطي أنها دائرة مفتوحة عندما يتم تحرير فرامل الانتظار ... بالإضافة إلى أن هذه هي الطريقة التي يتم بها توصيل الألغام وتعمل. لذلك ليس هناك حاجة لمفتاح قطب مزدوج ، مفتاح مزدوج (dpdt) ... يكفي قطب واحد ، مفتاح مزدوج (spdt).
  • [/ اقتبس]Is there an educational explanation on YouTube ..?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts