B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah i know its a dumb question but i am a cost nazi. How labor intensive is installing camshafts and what is typical cost. I am pondering getting the JWT cams and springs but it seems like the install is a delicate procedure. If the timing chain is off by one tooth on the exhaust sprocket it won't start. I don't need that headache...
Has anyone done this install yet? And if so think about doing a write up..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,244 Posts
Cams would take about 3 hours to install, and I know valvesprings would probably take atleast that long. Figure you will get hit for 6+ hours of labor. In some cases a shop may go by the book value of the job (How long a book tells them it should take and how much to charge). Either way you are going to get hit with a hefty bill.

I was going to wait and see if JWT came out with vavle springs for the SR20 (RR), but I was told that installing valve springs is not exactly something you want to do in your buddies driveway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually thnk i won't be getting the springs. I was just chatting with a very knowledgable nissan enthusiast and he was telling me getting the valve springs just so i can increase the rev limit(once the ecu comes out) is probably pointless. yeah you can rev higher but with our power curves it just doesn't seem like any gains are going to be noticable at that high of an rpm. I foresee nice gains up to 6000 rpms but not after...
Anyhow, what tools are needed for the install of the cams(aside from the ordinary tools)? Do you need some kind of tool to remove the rocker arms, etc???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
You will need invisible pliers to remove the invisible rocker arms.
Even if you did have rocker arms you wouldn't need to remove them, being they are under the cams. And if you did have them and wanted to remove them (on an SR20 engine) a finger would suffice.

You should get someone with experience to do cams, otherwise don't attempt it. The chance of ruining your engine is too high.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeha i meant hold. I don't have much experience but then again how do you get experience aside form getting your hands dirty. Of course i would have someone knowledgable there to assist. Yeah theres alot at stake but from what i understand the install is pretty clear cut...
 

·
Fogey
Joined
·
4,298 Posts
If you follow the FSM, yeah it is, but if its something you haven't done before, have someone who has help you.

Learn a little more about the motor before you tear it apart. (IE: not knowing you don't have rocker arms.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
craigsward said:
yeah you can rev higher but with our power curves it just doesn't seem like any gains are going to be noticable at that high of an rpm. I foresee nice gains up to 6000 rpms but not after...
If you've seen any QR25 dyno with mods, you can see how more rpm's is beneficial. The only dyno I've seen with Nismo cams show the power is still increasing at the fuel cut. More RPM's is definitely needed for the most bang.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I stand corrected... I was just looking at some dynos in sport compact and it does appear to increase up to 6100rpm with bs removed, cams, intake, exhaust, header. But i am curious how much higher it could rev and produce power.
I'll wait and see once the ecu comes out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pituala,
Yeah i read about you and your cam woes. At least your getting a free Valvetrain.

I just read the FSM for the camshafts. it seems pretty cut and dry. I'll be sure to have my nissan bud there to make sure i don't f*#k it up...
 

·
Poopra King
Joined
·
7,072 Posts
craigsward said:
Pituala,
Yeah i read about you and your cam woes. At least your getting a free Valvetrain.

I just read the FSM for the camshafts. it seems pretty cut and dry. I'll be sure to have my nissan bud there to make sure i don't f*#k it up...
Just remember to measure te lobes. The intakes are bigger. And the 7 sets of cams I had all had the intakes marked with blue and the exhausts marked with yellow (Nismo).

And BTW, I had the FSM too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll be sure to do that.. Thanks for the info...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Besides putting the cams on the wrong side ;), the other most important thing is torque specs. A good INCH lb torque wrench would help because the cams must be torque'd in order per the FSM and to the correct amount. If you don't have one, torque them a little at a time evenly (check to see they are all laying even). Besides setting timing to TDC, also make sure the timing chain is not able to slip. Besides the zip ties on the sprockets (2-3 each), you can use a wedge made out of a piece of triangular wood wrapped in electrical tape (don't want splinters in your engine!).
 

·
Poopra King
Joined
·
7,072 Posts
chickracer said:
Besides putting the cams on the wrong side ;), the other most important thing is torque specs. A good INCH lb torque wrench would help because the cams must be torque'd in order per the FSM and to the correct amount. If you don't have one, torque them a little at a time evenly (check to see they are all laying even). Besides setting timing to TDC, also make sure the timing chain is not able to slip. Besides the zip ties on the sprockets (2-3 each), you can use a wedge made out of a piece of triangular wood wrapped in electrical tape (don't want splinters in your engine!).
Right. The cams were torqued very lightly. A few inchpounds. I forgot my inch/pound torque wrench the 1st day, so I had to wait to finish it all.

Oh, BTW chickracer, I did a compression test and had 200,204,204,202 psi respectively. The spark plugs looked perfect. The idle has been raised to 900 RPMs, but I'm still throwing a mis-fire code???
 

·
2busy4b15/but watch it
Joined
·
11,651 Posts
pituala said:


Oh, BTW chickracer, I did a compression test and had 200,204,204,202 psi respectively. The spark plugs looked perfect. The idle has been raised to 900 RPMs, but I'm still throwing a mis-fire code???
if your getting a misfire you might also check the coilpacks and or the leads to the coil packs.
 

·
Poopra King
Joined
·
7,072 Posts
SR20dee said:
if your getting a misfire you might also check the coilpacks and or the leads to the coil packs.
I did, and so did Nissan. It seems to only throw the code when I'm going about 60-70 mph in 6th gear with the A/C on, just cruisin. I feel absolutely no mis-fire at all, but I keep getting the code. I clear it about once a month, it'll stay off for about an hour, then it comes back on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What about testing for clearance with the lifters. Did you do that when you installed or did you just hope the lifter clearance was fine. Is this neccessary... I mean don't lifters wear with the cams, so wouldn't it be ideal to change the lifters when you change the cams??
The only reason i ask is because it seems like alot of extra work to reassemble everything, let the engine warm back up, then only to take it apart again to measure the lifter clearance.. If its not neccessary than why do it??
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top