B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I already read that email from PR that Styling posted a little while back, but...

My question is: How much do I REALLY need to worry about hydrolocking my engine with a CAI installed? Especially if my car is lowered? Would water from a few splashes onto the filter manage to find its way up the tubes and into the throttle body? Or would I need to be at wide open throttle for any damage to occur? Could a splash guard be made? If so, what parts of the filter would be best to cover? Sorry guys (and gals), I've had nothing but WAIs before, so I'm not quite sure how this works.

Another quick question for those of you who have installed the PR CAI already: How in the heck did you guys get the rubber adaptor from the upper tube over the MAF??? I've tried everything from fingers to screwdrivers to just brute force (with a little twisting). Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance everybody.

------------------
Jae
'00 SE w/ PP
Dropped and some other stuff...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
you would have to totally submerge the cone filter for any damage occur. You know the weather weve been having down here and i havent had any problems. I m not worried about it...

------------------
*Josh*
*myb15*

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
do you think there would be a need for an Air Bypass Valve?

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires - Arospeed Shortshifter

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Where abouts on the CAI would you install the Air Bypass Valve?

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hehehe thanks 2000SE.
I'll try that this weekend.

Darkside, sorry man. As you can see, I DID in fact succumb to temptation and got the CAI already. Couldn't help it since PR is 15 minutes away from my house.

As for the bypass valve, isn't the one on the AEMs located on the backside of the lower tube? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong cuz I've never really seen it in person.

------------------
Jae
'00 SE w/ PP

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SR20DE 2K:
Hehehe thanks 2000SE.
I'll try that this weekend.

Darkside, sorry man. As you can see, I DID in fact succumb to temptation and got the CAI already. Couldn't help it since PR is 15 minutes away from my house.

As for the bypass valve, isn't the one on the AEMs located on the backside of the lower tube? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong cuz I've never really seen it in person.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its cool man, im in no rush to sell this thing...(cough*!!bastard!!*cough)

------------------
*Josh*
*myb15*

·
Registered
72 Posts
U selling your PR CAI? im wanting to buy one.

------------------
2001 SE w/PP, 5spd of course!-(Radium)

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DarKsiDe_SE:
Its cool man, im in no rush to sell this thing...(cough*!!bastard!!*cough)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darkside...

I know I know, I'm a bastard.
Seriously though, forget the local thing. Seems like there's more B15s out east. Just sell it already. $150 is a damn good price for a PR CAI. It's the aluminum one, right? I mean, a lot of people on here are trying to get a group deal just to get the price down to $160! Just sell it and let the buying party pay shipping.

Guess it just serves me right that I got the CAI right away and have been having so much trouble installing it.

------------------
Jae
'00 SE w/ PP

·
Registered
446 Posts
Use vaseline for the maf to middle tube connection, thats what i had to do. Hydrolocking will only occur at open throttle in about a foot of water. You really have to be an idiot to run through a foot of water anyways! Just be more cautious of what you are driving in and everything will be a ok!

-iLL

------------------
2001 Sentra SE w/ Performance Package, Place Racing CAI, Custom Grille,Pioneer DEHP 2000 + 4x TS-1675's

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like vaseline is the universal lube being used by people on the board. Guess I'll join the crowd and lube my tube with vaseline. No pun intended.
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Since I'm not stupid enough to go submarining in my car, I won't worry too much about the rain then.
I'll have that lower tube in my the weekend. Can't wait!

------------------
Jae
'00 SE w/ PP

·
Registered
259 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SR20DE 2K:
Looks like vaseline is the universal lube being used by people on the board. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i keep one in my toolbox. it's also good for coating battery terminals to prevent corrosion.

------------------
MY PAGE

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2000SE:
i keep one in my toolbox. it's also good for coating battery terminals to prevent corrosion.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ok Ok I used to think something was up because the maintanence guy at my work carries around a tube of vaseline in his tool box,,,at first i was thinking he was a chronic maWELL you know the rest but now why he might carry it around,,,well wait 2000SE do you use it for the other thing????? J/K

------------------

CAR:

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I forgot to ask is it the rubber reducers too small????

if so couldn't you buy ones that are the right size to save the struggle????

------------------

CAR:

MODS:

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sentra Styling:
I forgot to ask is it the rubber reducers too small????

if so couldn't you buy ones that are the right size to save the struggle????

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, they're not exactly small... but they're just a little tight and REALLY hard to stretch out. Yah I could have bought new ones, but since people have worked with them before and successfully installed the CAI, I just thought I'd work with what they gave me.

Good idea about the Vaseline, 2000SE. I might just have to put a tube in my toolbox too... for the battery terminals of course.

------------------
Jae

'00 SE w/ PP

·
Registered
57 Posts
how does vaseline help prevent hydro-locking???

------------------
2k Sentra SE Manual w/PP - Black

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by agent vee:
how does vaseline help prevent hydro-locking???

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

not a damn thing it's for the installation of the rubber reducers on the CAI

and what ever else they are doing with it which i don't care to know about

------------------

CAR:

MODS:

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sentra Styling:
not a damn thing it's for the installation of the rubber reducers on the CAI

and what ever else they are doing with it which i don't care to know about

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahahahah!!! You're terrible.

------------------
Jae

'00 SE w/ PP

[This message has been edited by SR20DE 2K (edited March 01, 2001).]

·
Registered
605 Posts
does vaseline conduct electricity? If you put on your battery terminals and want to use for jumpstart, can you? or would you have to wipe off first.

------------------
SR20DE..Sorry Si guys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts