B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, I've been searching past threads but can't find anyone comparing the different brands of CAIs out there.

Place Racing? Hotshot? Dragon? Any other? How do they compare with each other?? And anyone hear of Injen coming out with one???

... *edit*... also I heard that a metal cone filter was better and easier to clean than a "cloth" one and would last longer.... and other lil details... I just need someone to compare this for me in layman's terms... I just want the best cold air intake that doesn't take a lot of upkeep...

...... I'm writing out a Christmas list........ yes, I know it's only June.......

·
Registered
605 Posts
Don't let anyone fool you. They're all the same ****. IF there is a performance gain with one over the other, trust me, you won't notice it. I would recommend the Hotshot or the place racing. I have heard bad reviews from some honda friends about the quality of the filter from the dragon.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
Don't forget that Place racing had parts available for our cars when no one else did. For a car with so little aftermarket support, that should mean a lot to us, and we should continue to support these companies. I have the PR CAI, and would wholeheartily reccomend it.

G

·
I've had both the Hotshot and Place Racing CAI's. The Place Racing model is better built. Anyone that has seen both intakes side by side will tell you the same thing. The PR MAF adaptor is CNC'd aluminum, wheras the Hotshot is a crummy painted steel piece. Also, the Hotshot is only coated on the outside, whereas the PR is coated inside and out.

Also, Hotshot has been getting a very bad reputation with their customer service. Several of us waited for months for our parts. They were not accomodating to our needs, and lied to us on several occasions. Place Racing has a better track record with the Sentra Community.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanx guys...you just helped me narrow my choice for my first mod, woo hoo!!! How long do you think such an install would take for someone with oh, no mechanical experience besides refilling windshield wiper fluid? Oh I've changed a flat tire also. :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
NYC_MiKee said:
Thanx guys...you just helped me narrow my choice for my first mod, woo hoo!!! How long do you think such an install would take for someone with oh, no mechanical experience besides refilling windshield wiper fluid? Oh I've changed a flat tire also. :)
Well asumming you have some basic tools, i.e. screwdrivers, some sockets, and a little brain power maybe an hour, I know it took me about a half an hour, pretty simple. The directions that come with the PR are good, just follow those and there should be no problems.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and what are the price differences between the Hotshot and PR?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Alex said:
and what are the price differences between the Hotshot and PR?
I think the Hotshot is 195 (?) and the PR is 205, thats the silver one. The colored ones are a couple of bucks cheaper.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
I took the WHOLE inner fender shield off- the instructions say just to bend it back, but I made it way easier. Little more time, but it took me about 1.5 hours. Screwdriver, socket, panel puller (for the fender-liner plastic clips). Easy.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Can anybody tell me how much an auto shop should or shouldnt charge for the intake installation?

G

·
Why let a shop do it when you can tackle the job yourself? Its seriously not difficult. You don't need to jack the car up, and it only requires basic hand tools.

If you must take it to a shop, it shouldn't take them more than a hour or so tops. Since shop rates vary widely, this will affect the final price.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ok I have another question. If I buy a NX Nitrous Express System is there any thing else that would be wise to get also?

and do you know of any ignitions out there for our cars?

G

·
You need a way of controlling ignition timing, fuel delivery, and RPM engagement for the Nitrous. What does the Nitrous Express kit include? I didn't know they had anything for us.

The Venom kit will be better, when it becomes available. JWT would be best. :D

·
Registered
473 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
id be more than willing to help you out considering that your close to me. if your interested drop me an e-mail

doc

Project SE said:
Can anybody tell me how much an auto shop should or shouldnt charge for the intake installation?

·
Registered
473 Posts
The ones im getting are Koni Shocks—Twin Gas Hydrolic System Front and Rear... they should be here by tuesday if im lucky monday (tomorrow)

Ill keep you guys posted:cool:

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Alex said:
Alright, I've been searching past threads but can't find anyone comparing the different brands of CAIs out there.

Place Racing? Hotshot? Dragon? Any other? How do they compare with each other?? And anyone hear of Injen coming out with one???

... *edit*... also I heard that a metal cone filter was better and easier to clean than a "cloth" one and would last longer.... and other lil details... I just need someone to compare this for me in layman's terms... I just want the best cold air intake that doesn't take a lot of upkeep...

...... I'm writing out a Christmas list........ yes, I know it's only June.......
I know that this is a older post, but I haven't been here. I would highly recommend Place Racing. I had minimal fuse with installation, since it was my first time doing the CAI mod, plus the quality was great. Power on the other hand you could probably go with Hotshot or something else, since the design is pretty basically the same.

Installation is easy, I would HIGHLY recommend you do it yourself, for the experience and to save the bucks for the nitrous or other mods. :)

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
good idea, Doc... anyone in Texas willing to help me out come time to install? I always seem to screw things up when doing them on my own.......

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Alex said:
good idea, Doc... anyone in Texas willing to help me out come time to install? I always seem to screw things up when doing them on my own.......
Damn Alex, I would if I was close dude. I love doing that ****. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts