B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone is using that new bypass valve on their CAI. The one that prevents your motor from accidently sucking up water from a puddle or whatever. It is either made by Greddy or Apex, gotta double check my magazine. I should have a CAI soon and didn't know how exposed it is under the car and what kind of danger I was in from possible water ingestion.

------------------
'97 VW Golf Trek - modded
'00 Sentra SE - PP, PIAAs, Tint

G

·
The Bypass valve is made by AEM. It wouldn't hurt to install it, but given the location of the filter, the only way you could injest water is if you drove through a lake. The water would have to be several inches above the bottom of the bumper. However, the bypass valve is cheap insurance to insure that you will never have any problems.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back.
- Place Racing CAI (eventually)
- Stillen Front Spoiler

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Exactly as maxx has said the way the filter is sitting there it's covered very well from the splash guards and you would have to drive thrue a puddle 2-3 feet deep to submerge that thing.....

In another words I really think it would be a waste of time.

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1428062&a=10696175" TARGET=_blank>*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*
</A> ***My Website***

·
Registered
446 Posts
trust me mna, ive looked under my car and its hard to reach the filter, let alone get any water in there. As stated above you'd have to drive your car into a lake, and by that time i wouldnt be worrying about water in the CAI.

-iLL

------------------
2001 Sentra SE w/ Performance Package, Place Racing CAI, Stromung Full Cat-back, Custom Grille,Pioneer DEHP 2000 + 4x TS-1675's
[email protected] mph

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
I also mimic what everyone else says here about the AEM Bypass Valve. It's good insurance if you're ready to cut a piece of your CAI for fitment, and if you are driving through a flooded street. For the looks of it, I would be getting one later, but not during this season. :) I believe it costs around $40.

------------------
Marvin
-2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 Spd, Avalanche
Current mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake
Future mods:Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, Window Tint
-Previous Owner 1995 Sentra GXE, w/mods, Auto, Maroon

·
Registered
111 Posts
what if it is raining. can you still take your car out side, or will the rain damage it.

------------------
2k Sentra GXE, auto
-added spoiler and factory foglights

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NiSentraGXE2k:
what if it is raining. can you still take your car out side, or will the rain damage it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alrighty...here's the scoop! First off, as I was doing the install, I had to get underneath the car and remove the splash guard to connect the K&N filter to the tube. After the splash guard was reinstalled, I noticed that I'd have to pretty much be in three feet of water to be in big trouble with hydrolocking. I drove in a pretty big rain spirt this afternoon, and I didn't notice anything wrong at all happen. I don't think you need to fear water getting sucked up with the current setup. :)

------------------
Marvin
Current mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
111 Posts
ok i read the SCC article and it is e=very interesting. but just one thing, will this bypass valve reduce HP that you can get from your CAI or it wil only do that in the rain. because if it is in the rain, thats ok cause i will not be speeding inthe rain anyway. but just like on regular days.

------------------
2k Sentra GXE, auto
-added spoiler and factory foglights

·
Registered
100 Posts
The loss of HP question is a good one. Here's a couple of thoughts. One, there might be a little loss because the airflow will be slightly disrupted due to the change in piping diameter and contour caused by the air bypass valve.

This could probably be offset somewhat by the valve being located near the filter end, thereby allowing airflow to smooth itself out by the time it hit the intake manifold.

However, the HP loss is probably no more than 1 or 2 HP.

------------------
Waiting for PR CAI, got the Stromung, got the Unorthodox, got a big fat empty "0" in my bank...:)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2000SE:
isn't $48.95 worth the peice of mind? SCC did a review of this valve on a NSX.

gotta read this

you can get it from william @ www.importpartsplus.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'd like to add the conditions of the test they did was really extreme,,,like sticking the whole filter into a tank of water,,,that's nuts...I mean on our application it's(filter) hidden very well and just out of curiosity I drove my car around the last time we had some heavy rain and I brought it into the garage and climbedunder my car and it wasn't even wet,,,so I personally wouldn't worry about it and I would waste the money either....Just my .02 cents.....

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry:
The loss of HP question is a good one. Here's a couple of thoughts. One, there might be a little loss because the airflow will be slightly disrupted due to the change in piping diameter and contour caused by the air bypass valve.

This could probably be offset somewhat by the valve being located near the filter end, thereby allowing airflow to smooth itself out by the time it hit the intake manifold.

However, the HP loss is probably no more than 1 or 2 HP.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Talking with Gilbert at Place Racing, he noted that the bypass valve should be located after the MAF Sensor closer to the throttle body. :)

------------------
Marvin

·
Registered
259 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NiSentraGXE2k:
but just one thing, will this bypass valve reduce HP that you can get from your CAI or it wil only do that in the rain.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

it will not activate all the time. it will be there to protect from hydrolock only. if there is no excess vaccuum, the flaps will not close and no hp loss will be felt. when it does engage, a loss of a few ponies for a few minutes is better than a loss of a engine from water.

------------------
MY PAGE
WAIT! USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION

·
Registered
180 Posts
HydroLock

Wow this is an old thread, I was curious if you did "hydrolock" the engine, what sort of damage would occur and what type of procedure would fix it? Do you just let it dry itself out?

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
A couple notes:
-AEM recommends putting the valve as high up, and close to the MAF as possible.
-You cannot out the valve between the MAF and TB. -Gilbert is wrong. It's right in the instructions.
-You'll get more airflow to the filter if you cut the bottom off the splashguard, but be at more chance of water ingestion- do this, and get an AEM valve.
-AEM admits a slight hp loss right in the instructions, but it is more than warranted if it ever saves your engine. (but you'll never know;) )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts