B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
PEGLEG POWAH!!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have Time Warner Roadrunner cable. And was wondering about DSL.

Can anyone give the pro's and con's of Cable vs DSL?
I know each have a Download and Upload bandwith Cap, and you can pay more for a higher cap on DSL.

Also I need a website that shows the DSL hub nearest to me.
Much obliged!!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
At peak times DSL is your best choice because cable slows down
when more people go on line, cable shares the same connection,
where as DSL uses your existing Dialtone, Secure,,,,where do you live?

·
PEGLEG POWAH!!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
North Side Houston.... I am fairly sure i'm well within range. I just want to make sure the nearest sub-station isn't over 5 miles. Then I will get crappy speed.

Sbc offers dsl in my area.. here are some packages. Is the better package worth the extra per month? Or will i never see those speeds anyways due to the fact that I am relying on other servers to receive the info, not the isp?

Quoted from SBC:

SBC Yahoo! DSL Standard Plus Package
Speed: 384Kbps-1.5Mbps downstream / 128Kbps upstream1
IP Address: 1 Dynamic

SBC Yahoo! DSL Standard Plus Package gives you the same benefits and customization as the Basic Package but at faster speeds, allowing you to do a little more. Make stock trades, shop online, or even conduct business-to-business commerce.

Special Offer
Order SBC Yahoo! DSL for a one-year term at $29.95 per month, and receive a SBC Yahoo! DSL Wireless Home Networking kit for $149 with a $99 rebate (taxes and a $14.95 shipping and handling fee apply).** Or receive an Instant Credit on the DSL modem -- that's a $99 value (taxes and a $12.95 shipping and handling fee apply).*** Plus, get free activation and a free self-installation kit.* Sign up now and you can register to get a one month trial subscription to one or both of Yahoo! Platinum video entertainment or Yahoo! Games on Demand Unlimited Premium services.6

or

SBC Yahoo! DSL Deluxe Package
Speed: 768Kbps-1.5Mbps downstream / 256Kbps upstream1
IP Address: 1 Dynamic

SBC Yahoo! DSL Deluxe Package provides all the benefits and customization of the Basic and Standard Plus Packages at faster upstream and downstream speeds, making it possible to support a home or small office LAN with moderate use. It's also great for gaming, quality audio, animation-rich commerce, and videoconferencing.

Special Offer
Order SBC Yahoo! DSL for a one-year term at $39.95 per month, and receive an SBC Yahoo! DSL Wireless Home Networking kit for $149 with a $99 rebate (taxes and a $14.95 shipping and handling fee apply).** Or receive an Instant Credit on the DSL modem -- that's a $99 value (taxes and a $12.95 shipping and handling fee apply).*** Plus, get free activation and a free self-installation kit.* Sign up now and you can register to get a one month trial subscription to one or both of Yahoo! Platinum video entertainment or Yahoo! Games on Demand Unlimited Premium services.6

·
Canyon junkie! ( ^o^) <3
4,332 Posts
^ They're getting sued right now for false information. The court sent me a caim letter a few days ago. I'm gonna send it back.

·
Registered
465 Posts
with DSL you can be within 18,000 ft from CO(central office) and
you'll be ok, that's using copper(pair of wires) , but if your further than that there will have to be a
MUX /DSLAM close by(Fiber optics with a multi plexer). most DSL is 1.4 with 256k upload....but can run faster at times..

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Let me telll u dude....get CABLE. Make sure you get a Surfboard cable modem.i'll show u how to uncap it. Unlimited up/down bandwidth. :)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Plus i know how to tweak it. Im cisco certified man....DSL is weak and slow. (depends on who u get and where u are)

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
I only get the maximum bandwith on my cable modem when I'm downloading binaries from RoadRunner's local USENET server, and Microsoft's or Intel's websites. I doubt DSL would be much faster.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'd say go for cable. I've had problems with my SBC DSL. At my old place right before I moved, it went out for 3 weeks and they couldn't figure out why. Now at my new place, it's been 2 weeks since it was supposed to be hooked up and still no DSL signal. And guess what: they can't figure out why.

Maybe Time Warner's service would be more reliable....

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
I love Comcast. Zero problems in about a yeat+. My download used to be 1.2Mbs and it has been a consistant 1.7 Meg for at least 6 months. Upload is 240Kbs

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I bet thats not YOUR T1 or OC3. That's like saying "yea...i have 2 OC192 lines jacked up my house"

·
RWD is teh bomb
2,138 Posts
I really dislike Cable since it is shared bandwidth. Granted.. a cable modem will burst to 4-5mbit..but during those "SLOW" times.. it can crawl to dialup speed (I know.. I used to have cable)

·
Registered
229 Posts
get cable. faster than dsl on bot uploads and downloads..if everyone has cable in your area itll slow down. shared bandwidth..i took that risk because i live in a ghetto.

·
PEGLEG POWAH!!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This was taken from roadrunner's website:

Q: The DSL providers say that cable modems are "shared" and will slow down when too many people in my neighborhood come online. Is that true?
A: Thank you for asking. Truth is, ALL Internet technologies, including DSL, are shared and no one can guarantee or control speed, due to variables inherent to the Internet. What the DSL companies want you to believe is that cable modems will slow down when more users come online and that DSL does not slow down because it is "dedicated", not shared. There are two other things you should know about DSL and speed.

DSL slows down the further you live from their facilities.
DSL's "dedicated" connection is only for the short distance between your home and their facilities. From that point on, it is pooled with all other traffic.
One DSL provider even built a series of marketing campaigns around this message. However, the DSL provider was instructed by a court of law to stop running the campaign because the message was not true. It is not true because a properly designed and managed cable modem system (such as Road Runner's) accommodates the popularity of the service.

It is one of Road Runner's major priorities to take all the appropriate steps regarding design, management and capacity that maintain a high-quality, high-speed online experience for our subscribers.

·
PEGLEG POWAH!!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SR20DE_MAN said:
^ They're getting sued right now for false information. The court sent me a caim letter a few days ago. I'm gonna send it back.
Do you have anymore info on this? What exactly did they do?

·
PEGLEG POWAH!!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pLaTiNuMSpecV said:
Let me telll you dude....get CABLE. Make sure you get a Surfboard cable modem.i'll show you how to uncap it. Unlimited up/down bandwidth. :)
What do they charge a month? And i havent seen them in my area, with the time warner monopoly and all...

·
PEGLEG POWAH!!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
adc100 said:
I love Comcast. Zero problems in about a yeat+. My download used to be 1.2Mbs and it has been a consistant 1.7 Meg for at least 6 months. Upload is 240Kbs
How bout some more info on them? I looked at their website but couldnt pull up any product info.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts