B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in the Maryland area had their butterfly valve screws checked? If so, did you do it yourself or where did you have it done? I have read all the threads on the site, but I haven't seen one where someone has mentioned where. I was thinking of going to altered atmosphere to get it done, but if anyone out there has a suggestion let me know. My car is a '03 with a 10/02 build date, and I am just under 17000 miles. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just out of curiosity, and I'm sure it's a stupid question...does this only affect the '02-'03, or is it the '04's as well? I haven't really seen anyone with an '04 post much about this.

·
Registered
921 Posts
It seems as if on the newer models Nissan put something on the screws to try and hold them in place. Another reason you don't see much on the 04's is cause they are too new. They don't have as much milage. Its not hard to do if you want to do it yourself.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, can anyone tell me if their '04 DID have "loctite" or something similar on it to prevent this ridiculousness?

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Same here. 10/02 2003 had red loctite on it. So I used red. Every one seem to have used green because of the screw size, but the fact that greens are for "things that eventually needed to be removed" and the reds are for "things that needs to stay" led me to buy the red and when I opened it up and saw red, it just confirmed my findings. Mine were a diff. story since all of them were tight, but did it anyway. I'll be checking it again at the end of the year though.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Because Nissan would think that it wouldn't be cost effective (not that tsb's are costing them at all, I think, or I'm probably thinking of recall instead). The fact that this only happened to a few (when I say few I meant 10% or so of all the QR's in the states). Again I may be thinking recall.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have decided that I am confident enough to check my bvs tomorrow after work. I thought about going to a shop to have it checked, but I don't feel like explaining the problem and paying for it. Also, this way I can see for myself what the situation is. I will post my results tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
majik91 said:
I have decided that I am confident enough to check my bvs tomorrow after work. I thought about going to a shop to have it checked, but I don't feel like explaining the problem and paying for it. Also, this way I can see for myself what the situation is. I will post my results tomorrow evening.
That's the spirit :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
My dealer told me that they got a letter from Nissan about this problem when I brought in my car (cyl#1 misfire) due to the screw coming off. I'm surprise it's not a Recall item yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
done and done, I just finished and that was nothing I couldn't handle. ALL 8 screws in place where they belong and they were tight. I put some loctite on anyway, I figured I had come this far I might as well do what I set out to do. so, this '03 with a 10/02 build date was is just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts