Tools needed:
Red loctite
5mm hex key
flathead screwdriver
pliers
10-12-17mm sockets and appropriate drivers and extensions
17mm wrench
patience

1. using 17mm socket and 17mm wrench, remove strut bar. No strut bar? Proceed to step 2.

2. remove upper intake section between MAF and TB.

3. using 5mm hex key, remove throttle body.

picture shows only top two bolts, there are two more underneath.

4. using pliers, remove hoses from upper manifold section.

Two are in picture, The other two are next to the throttle body, between the manifold and firewall.

5. using the 10 and 12 mm sockets w/ extensions, remove the bolts seen in these pictures:

·
M07S
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

This zip tie can be undone with the flathead.

6. After removing those, the upper manifold should easily remove, leaving you with this...

7. remove gasket and cover the open runners with cloth or something.

8. remove one screw on any butterfly, (I suggest either going driver to passenger side or vice versa,) use red loctite, and reinstall. Go until all screws have loctite.

9. re-installation of upper manifold is the opposite of removal.

Happy Modding.

·
turtle power!!!
586 Posts
If u have a qr25,there is no other way 2 stress how important this is! If u haven't done this, DO IT! If nissan supposedly did it 4 u, CHECK IT! If u bought ur car used and they said that they did it b4 u bought the car, CHECK IT ANYWAY! It will give u such a good piece of mind 2 know that ur engine won't explode on u while ur driving, unless u still have the kitty on there.....

·
touge king
275 Posts
any reason to actually remove the throttle body? can't remove it as one big piece?

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
sticky667 said:
any reason to actually remove the throttle body? can't remove it as one big piece?
I think i just pulled the cai off it, but mine wasn't connected to the coolant lines. I just leaned the top half of the intake manni back against the top of the firewall to avoid having to remember what to reconnect.

Good writeup. Does it say to use a MAGNETIC screwdriver (helpful)?

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
BrianRitchie said:
does this apply to the '04 1.8?
This is for the QR25DE. I don't honestly think the QG18 had butterflies.

·
M07S
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
balckspecspeede said:
Do you need to replace the intake gasket after you take it off
No. The gaskets are metal. Be sure to tighten them down enough to seal. I've re-used these gaskets more then once.

orangelloSE-R said:
This is for the QR25DE. I don't honestly think the QG18 had butterflies.
Actually, early QG18's did. I believe 00-01... they act as a secondary throttle (which didn't do much of anything,) and are also known to be problematic. However, you are correct in that this write-up does NOT cover any QG18.

·
Registered
14 Posts
tjpitty said:
If u have a qr25,there is no other way 2 stress how important this is! If u haven't done this, DO IT! If nissan supposedly did it 4 u, CHECK IT! If u bought ur car used and they said that they did it b4 u bought the car, CHECK IT ANYWAY! It will give u such a good piece of mind 2 know that ur engine won't explode on u while ur driving, unless u still have the kitty on there.....
whats so important about this. lol.

sorry very noob question i just got my spec v. I got them used so please explain.:eek:

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
polkadots said:
whats so important about this. lol.

sorry very noob question i just got my spec v. I got them used so please explain.:eek:
Read the sticky at the top of the general discussion forum; it explains how loose butterfly screws can destroy your engine & how unstuck kittens can do the same.

·
Registered
101 Posts
orangelloSE-R said:
Read the sticky at the top of the general discussion forum; it explains how loose butterfly screws can destroy your engine & how unstuck kittens can do the same.

By Kittens I'm assuming you mean pre-cats.

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
mtbsinger85 said:
By Kittens I'm assuming you mean pre-cats.
What else?

·
Registered
6 Posts
how to get the butterfly valve screw out of the cylinder?

alright, my 2003 Spec V hit 92,100 miles. it started to misfire and i followed this link to figure out what the problem was. cylinder #1 had a damaged spark plug. something was hitting it. replaced the spark plugs, checked the cat. it was in good shape, no loose pieces. drove it for 20 miles. removed the spark plug on cylinder #1 and i could see the apparent damage to the new spark plug. something is still in the cylinder! then i removed the intake manifold and sure enough, one of the butterfly valve screws is missing.

i tried few things: magnet and vaccum. i can't get the screw out of the cylinder.

any advice?

·
geezinondowntheroad
8,005 Posts
Have you considered taking that sparkplug out & putting as big a magnet as possible at the top of the plug hole & then cranking the car for a few SECONDS? Maybe the engine will hark it up like a lugeee.

I would be getting that towed to a shop, myself. You will need to have the cylinder walls checked for major scuffage & to have the valves checked for damage. Basically, you want to make sure that screw didn't screw up your compression on that cylinder. Best of luck!

P.S. I would still be dumping the kitten; it just isn't safe (especially when the misfire is dumping extra gas on the kitten). You may want to start a new thread for this.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts