B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My reverse lock-out mechanism broke for the second time about two weeks ago.

Somebody at a shop was moving my car and managed to break it for me.....THANX BUDDY!:eek:

The first time Nissan fixed it under warr, but they had the car like a whole day, and had to remove the transmission or some crazy **** like that. Didn't sound right to me.

I would like to fix it myself. It is just a cheap little plastic tab that keeps breaking. So I was wondering if anyone has figured out a clever way to fix it, so that you can make it stronger and retain the whole mechanism like it is supposed to work.

I've read lots of clever things you peo have come up with, so I thought I would check b4 I work on something on my own.

BTW, I don't have the broken plastic part.

·
weIrDO
61 Posts
Bremb0nar said:

Somebody at a shop was moving my car and managed to break it for me.....THANX BUDDY!:eek:

The first time Nissan fixed it under warr, but they had the car like a whole day, and had to remove the transmission or some crazy **** like that. Didn't sound right to me.

I would like to fix it myself. It is just a cheap little plastic tab that keeps breaking. So I was wondering if anyone has figured out a clever way to fix it, so that you can make it stronger and retain the whole mechanism like it is supposed to work.

I've read lots of clever things you peo have come up with, so I thought I would check b4 I work on something on my own.

Well what I did I just took it off cause it keep on beaking... unless someone made a stronger one out there. That just what I did no problem after that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
silverspecv05 said:
Well what I did I just took it off cause it keep on beaking... unless someone made a stronger one out there. That just what I did no problem after that.

"no problem after that" Until you hit reverse instead of 6th.

That's the easy\dumb way, not trying to do that.

Also I like to shift from 4th to 6th a lot and its reaaaal easy to go into reverse instead. Shifting into reverse at 80 or 90 mph is recipe for disaster.

Maybe you're a better shifter than me, but I want to protect myself from doing the inevitable. I think that's why Nissan put it there in the 1st place.

·
Registered
99 Posts
wow... I would never think of just taking it off completely and just drive. I would not recommend that to anyone. I don't care how good you can fly thru the gears.

·
Registered
174 Posts
well n0thing realli happens ur going t0 fast to smack into reverse if your in high speeds u just have to know how to shift into 6th. just another dumb problem with our cars right reverse lockout ****s up window motors start to **** up =] ::shift downard straight into 6th:: n0t into a curve =] ;)

·
Carrrrrne asada
1,088 Posts
My reverse lockout has been broken for God knows how long. I still have the plastic piece that's around the bottom of the shifter. So I can't get into reverse on accident without grabbing the bottom of the shifter and pulling up the piece that remains. I call it "theft deterent"

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'M NOT ASKING HOW TO FRICKIN DRIVE THE CAR.

I'M ASKING IF ANYONE HAS BEEN ABLE TO FIX THE MECHANISM BETTER THAN NISSAN MADE IT.

Note:
When you (peo above) take your car in for a blown trans, and they see your reverse lockout mechanism is gone, do you think they're going to cover it? Don't think about that one too long.

What if you let a friend (or anybody) drive the car and you forget to tell them about reverse being f*cked up. Maybe it won't actually go into to reverse, but it will make a bad grinding sound. It's the sound of money being sucked outta your wallet.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Bremb0nar said:

i know thats on my tranny too...but i have six speed so i don't have to worry bout it since its up and over by first......by the way what happens if you do happen to slip into reverse from gear??

·
weIrDO
61 Posts
Bremb0nar said:
"no problem after that" Until you hit reverse instead of 6th.

That's the easy\dumb way, not trying to do that.

Also I like to shift from 4th to 6th a lot and its reaaaal easy to go into reverse instead. Shifting into reverse at 80 or 90 mph is recipe for disaster.

Maybe you're a better shifter than me, but I want to protect myself from doing the inevitable. I think that's why Nissan put it there in the 1st place.
Tell u the truth I have never done it I guess u have to really try to shift into reverse...

Best luck I guess take it back to dealer IMO

·
Registered
291 Posts
02/03's don't have reverse lockouts, remember? So what's the big deal? Do you actually think you will manage to drop it into reverse at 80MPH? You can try this if you'd like, but I don't believe you will manage to do it.

If you try to go from 4th to R all you are going to do is grind gears, it will not slip into reverse at that speed. I skip from 4th to 6th a lot and miss 6th on occasion. Nothing happens, just a little grinding and my reverse lights turn on.

My reverse grinds all the time, ever since I bought the car. Sometimes I even have a hard time shifting into reverse to parallel park.. or just reverse from a stand still, depending on if the car is sitting still or not. I'm sure most 02/03 owners could verify the same thing.

Although this isn't beneficial to the posters question, I hope it gives you 04-06 owners some info on "OMG WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I DON'T HAVE MY REVERSE LOCKOUT?!?!?! MAYBE MY TRANSMISSION WILL BLOW UP!"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bremb0nar said:

Mine has broken for the 3rd time now on my 2005. (only 28000 miles on the damn car) I was hoping there would be a quick replacement for the plastic piece but they have to replace the whole shifter. The first time they replaced it with a shifter from a 2006, and then it broke again. The 2nd time they took off the reverse lockout and i drove like that for a week before they could replace the shifter again (took all day to switch out). It wasn't bad driving without the lockout, just had to be aware. Now that it's broke again, i'm not bothering with the warranty anymore. I'm just going to take off the lockout permanently. But the 2006 is different than the 2005 so I have to figure out how to get the piece off myself. You would think from the '05 to the '06 they would find some other material to use besides plastic!

·
Registered
133 Posts
people make such a big deal about this...why??...the only way to miss 6th and go in to R is if you are retarded....honestly...its damn near impossible...just pull straight back when u go from 5th to 6th...dont push right at all!!!!...i have an 03' and i have never had problems with shifting into R by accident...and this is my first manual car....so you do the math

and you like shifting from 4th to 6th??...wtf is up with that?...sounds pretty stupid to me...5th is there for a reason....let me guess....you start your car off is 2nd too??....haha:D

·
Registered
426 Posts
when I test drove the spec-v for the 1st time in 04, i've never had a problem shifting it into 6th. Its commons sense on how you shift your gears. Like others said 02-03's don't have it and you dont hear them complaining. I had an 06 and my lockout never ever broke and it had 15K on it when I got rid of it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
YellowSpec-V said:
and you like shifting from 4th to 6th??...wtf is up with that?...sounds pretty stupid to me...5th is there for a reason....let me guess....you start your car off is 2nd too??....haha:D

Actually, yes, genius, I do start my car in 2nd if it is on a slope and will start rolling down the hill. 1st is way too short. If it rolls just slightly before I start it off it will not have any trouble at all going into second. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like revving the **** out of my engine or shifting through every single gear when it isn't necessary. I go from 4th to 6th a lot when I get on the highway and I am not in a hurry. I will take it up to 3.2k in 4th and then drop it right into 6th.. there's nothing wrong with doing that, the tach will fall to about 2.5k when you drop it into 6th from 4th. Reason for doing that? you can leave the car in 4th while you are on an on-ramp and not bother shifting gears when you are merging.

I don't know why you think this is stupid. It just makes things easier for the driver, makes one less shift for the transmission, and one last rev for the engine. I have my way of driving, you have yours, when I drive 625 miles a week, I'd rather be very easy on my car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts