B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anybody figure out and get their cars fixed by Nissan for the front brakes overheating so quickly? I went and got the front suspension fixed, and on the invoice afterwards they wrote, and I qoute "car has upgraded air intake and exhaust, brakes might need to be upgraded in order to sustain the additional horsepower"...what kind of BS is that? anyone get theirs fixed w/o any mods done that can scan or send me the invoice of what they got fixed? Thanks,
Juan C C

·
Registered
605 Posts
I am going in next week probably. I will tell you then. How do they want the brakes to be upgraded? It's only a intake and exhaust!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
what do they expect the intake and exhaust to push the speed limiter farther so we can go faster? that's another dumb thing from the dealers. I can see why they put in about the intake and exhaust, so if anything happens you can't take it off and put the stock back on and say fix it. but what's with the brakes?

·
Registered
35 Posts
They are covering their *** in case you bring it in with brake problems. Now they can refuse to fix your brakes if something happens to them, because you didn't "upgrade" them. Kinda makes you sick don't it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
They did that on my car too back when it had a warranty, but you're not going to believe this one:

"Vehicle has aftermarket stereo including (1) audio amplifier which may require upgraded electrical systems to sustain the increased power draw."

And they think I would run an amp off stock wiring? What the heck? These are the same wonderful people that installed brand new taillights and in the process dented one of the panels on my trunk and got the taillights and bumper covered in sealant.

·
Registered
940 Posts
nissan is notorious for shitty and overheated brakes. i already have replaced my rotors on my 2000 sentra se. my 1998 altima had the same problem. my friends maxima has the same problem. they overheat and warp out!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What rotors you recommend?

anyone know what are good aftermarket rotors and how much they run and where I can get them at? Thanks, also let me know if the are cross drilled, slotted, vented, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can get a complete brake kit from HP for about 1200 bucks. But for now I have some carbon mettalic pads and they do not seem to be terring up my rotor and they work great. I have not had them heat up one time on me.

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
When I took my car in to be fixed, overheating brakes was one of the problems on the list. They found a "metallic grinding sound coming from front disc brakes". According to the tech, all they did was take them apart, adjust them, then they "applied anti-squeal solution to the pads". To their credit, my brakes didn't overheat for like two weeks. Now it's back again with a vengeance. I love warranty fixes.

Like PowerSentra said, I'm looking into changing the pads and seeing if that helps.

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Sounds more like the pads weren't broken in properlly.

I have had no problems with overheating brakes, I've been out to the track and pushed them very hard, still no problems with fade or overheating.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Like david I've had no problems with the brakes on my car. They don't over heat or fade much (if at all). My only complaint is that the abs kicks in too soon on corners.

Also you can't compare the warping problems that the maxima's have to problems with the sentra. The brakes on the 4th + 5th gen maxima (95-99) are a cary over from the 3rd gen (89-94) with changes in the proportioning valve in the master cylinder.

The early 3rd gen maxima's had problems with warping the rotors due to the closed rim style and the fact that the brakes were kind of small, but adaquate for a 3200 lb vehicle. nissan changed the metal composition of the rotors in late 92 (so i'm told) to combat this problem. Again for the 4th gen is a heavy car with smallish breaks. It can experience the same problem due to its weight.

Our brakes were taken from the current altima and are actualy are LARGER than what are on the maxima. The sentra is also 500+ lbs less than the maxima. Making the load on the brakes even less.

If you are concerned about brake fade you can probably have a set of Z32 front brakes installed on the car. Or you can chat with a stillen rep to see if they have tested their big break kit on the car yet. I'd immagine that the one for the previous sentra will fit.

doc

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does anyone make better rotors for our cars? I finally warped mine at Watkins Glen but that is like the 5th track event on the stock rotors. This was the second set of Nissan OEM pads though. The brakes have never given me any problems other than finally warping and perhaps a set of slotted ones would last longer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that's it

lol, damn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts