B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month or so ago, I hade the brakes on the car changed. In the process I decided to go with SATISFIED Pro Ceramic Enhanced pads for the front, and Pro Performance OE replacement pads for the rear since they were cheaper than the replacements that I could get from Nissan. The rotors were cut, and the new pads installed. Lately, I've been noticing a metal on metal clacking noise coming from the rear whenever I drive over bumpy roads, and I believe it's the brakes because if I lighty hold the brake pedal down while going over these same bumpy roads I hear nothing. Is there something that was missed while installing these? Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Links:
SATISFIED Pro Ceramic Enhanced pads

SATISFIED Pro Performance OE pads

-KurticusGT-

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thats odd. My brake do the same thing! Only they're the stock ones. I pulled both wheels and the rubber around the piston had pushed itself our and was all twisted. The calipers seem to have seized against the rotors and the brakes will smell real bad after 1 mile or so. I just dropped the thing off at the dealership. Sorry i have no other info.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I had on previously were stock Nissan parts. I was thinking that I may have missed something like a shim or something when replacing. From what I remembered when replacing the old pads, we took off the caliper assembly, removed the pads, removed the rotor and machined them, pushed back down the piston, placed on the new pads with some sort of grease substance on the backs of them (opposite the rotor side), got the rotors back on, and buttoned everything back up. The car was fine for a while, but all of a sudden the noise started.

Anyone else with a similiar experience?

-KurticusGT-

·
Registered
105 Posts
Had this sorta problem just after I got my car... Every time I pushed the brake pedal I would hear a cling in the rear. took it to dealership, they said brake calipers weren't lubed up right. Problem went away.

·
Back for More
3,766 Posts
Check the anti-rattle clips. They keep the pads from moving around when you aren't using the brakes. If they were installed incorrectly, something might not be seating properly.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
I've noticed exactly the same noise just lately. I thought a wheel bearing was starting to go bad, but when I touch the brakes even lightely, it goes right away.
I wonder if it's not a broken spring or something that's supposed to pull the pad back away from the rotor after it's been depressed? Maybe the pad is dragging a little.
Might be an excuse to replace the other 2 rotors for me ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
audio1der said:
I've noticed exactly the same noise just lately. I thought a wheel bearing was starting to go bad, but when I touch the brakes even lightely, it goes right away.
^^Exactly!!!^^

Joe M, I was looking through the B15 SR20DE FSM that I got from here and didn't come across anything named anti-rattle clips. You weren't talking about the shims were you? If not, can you give me a bit more detail on what they are and where they are located. In looking at the breakdown of the rear caliper in the FSM on page 24 I didn't notice anything that should be on the car that isn't.

-KurticusGT-

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that link BlueSE-R_SpecV. This may be the answer that I'm looking for. What was the price of the kit when you purchased it? Also, since you've already done this job yourself, do you think that it was absolutely necesarry to replace the current brake pad at the time and not just the retainers and shims? Thanks...

-KurticusGT-

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't remember how much I paid for the kit. I used the same pads, since at that time they were like new. Installing the shim kit was easy. I used brake cleaner to clean the area where the adhesive part goes on.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm having a similar problem, i have OEM brakes though (non-ABS) so i have drums on the back, but i've noticed that when i brake at low speeds like when pulling out of my driveway, i will hear a popping sound come from the back end. and once about 2 weeks ago i was pulling into a gas station and when i hit the brakes i hear a LOUD clank come from the back, it sounded like someone laying under the car hit the axle with a wrench... also the front brakes grind really loud if they get heated up like if i stop quickly from a high speed, but i still have about 1/4" of pad left..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts