B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my new 2001 SE/5sp/PP/ABS/Sunrf for 1 week. I'm very happy with it except for one major issue. No matter how smooth the road surface I drive on, there is a lot of vibration that gets transmitted to the interior. Even driving on a relatively smooth interstate highway, I find my body basically being rocked as the car seems to be bothered by every single minute imperfection of the highway. I would expect a harsh ride when going over visible bumps and dips, but this is a little ridiculous.
I really hope that either this is a known issue that can be addressed with a tire change, or that it is something wrong with the tuning on my car that can be found and fixed by the dealer. Thanks a lot for any help, I REALLY want to enjoy this car to the fullest.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i think se has a sport tuned suspension and it should be stiffer than the normal ones so that's y??? not too sure on that though...

·
Registered
605 Posts
At first I was suprised by how stiff the suspension is, but I got used to it. If it is really bad then take it to the dealer. It might be something more than the suspension.

------------------
SR20DE..Sorry Si guys.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
2000 Sentra SE with PP come with performance tuned suspesion... when you lower your car.... your messing with the specs so of course the ride is going to be a little rougher..... mine is....... but its breaking in...

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires - Hotshot header and CAI on the way!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
The SE w/ PP is a bouncy ride. I'd go so far as to say it's too bouncy for me, but I'll take that tradeoff for turning ability.

Try to take another SE w/ PP for a test drive and see if it rides the same way. Something could be wrong, and this will eliminate what you think you should be feeling as one of them.

------------------
2000 SE w/ PP auto in Heatwave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check your air pressure. I thought my ride was a bit hard also then I discovered each tire had 40 lbs. Proper air pressure helped a bit.

01 SE w/PP 5 spd. Sunroof Radium

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I also will have to say that it does ride rough but i am used to it now it's just the suspension i think but when you really use the suspension on hard cornering and stuff like that then you'll fully appreciate it greatly

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just like someone said check the tire pressure. It s/b 33 psi front and 30 rear. Mine was way off at delivery. Correcting this will help but just a little. Make sure you have a quality pressure gauge.

The PP has a harsh ride...period. Good news, it does get somewhat better as the car breaks in. I started to notice a difference at about 2000 miles. More good news...you get used to it. Warning: Slow down at the potholes, etc.

Hey, you've only had the car for a week. I wager you've done most of your driving so far on Boston's city streets?

This weekend take her for a spin outside of the city where there are "true" smooth roads and take some curves at speed.
Then ask yourself, do I want a "performance" car or my father's Oldsmoble? ;-)

------------------
2001 SE Auto PP Radium
Someboday Slap Me Pleaseee - For not getting a Manual Transmission

G

·
With 2300 miles on my car now, I have also noticed a "softening" of the suspension. When I first got the car, it was down right rough! But now, it has become more supple, but not soft.

With any new car, you will have to make adjustments. Give things some time, and you will get used to how the Sentra rides and handles.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (It's Here!!)
- Hotshot CAI (At The Coaters.)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Doesn't the SE w/pp have stage 2 or stage 3 suspension which does make it stiffer?

------------------
"Haters Hate This."
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
"Stage 2"

------------------
2000 SE w/ PP auto in Heatwave

·
Registered
841 Posts
Stage II, thanks.

------------------
"Haters Hate This."
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
does anyone know if KYB has an AGX application for us?

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires - Hotshot header and CAI on the way!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The stiffer suspension will feel more rough on level ground, however in cornering the car will remain more level, thus handle better, go on and drive...and watch out for the cops.

------------------
2000 Avalanche SE w/PP, no gas cap holder

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I really haven't noticed the suspension being all that bouncy. BUT my old civic was just riding on racing springs because I was in need of new shocks so it was terrible. I hit my head on the ceiling all the time, so I don't mind the ride in the Se.LOL

------------------
2001 Blackout Se with PP

·
Registered
2 Posts
You guys, I really don't think its the suspension or anything to do with the se/pp because I have a GXE and it rides extremely bumpy too, its a problem with all Sentras regardless of suspension. I think it has more to do with the short wheelbase of the car. My Beretta had a longer wheelbase and altough it was a piece of crap, the ride was smooth. I have noticed that it has smoothed out a bit, but this could be my imagination considering it already had 6800 miles on it.

------------------
2000 Sentra GXE

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hot Damn! Another Boston SE driver

I'll have to keep an eye out for ya. What color is yours again? I've only seen one other SE, but it didn't have the spoiler, so I doubt it was yours.

But . . . on to your topic. These Boston streets probably have lot to do with what you're feeling. I get alot of bounce myself, but I've noticed that the damping is fantastic (no repeated bounce if you know what I mean). And the rest of the folks are right, the power package has the "level II sport-tuned suspension", and it's very stiff . . . and this definitely pays off in cornering ability.

If you want to compare how yours rides to another one, I'd either contact the dealer, or e-mail me and take a ride in mine. It'll let you see what another car with the same suspension system feels like so you'll have a better basis for comparison (even if mine is just a lowly automatic transmission model

Eric

------------------

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll let you know if anything works. I don't mind a "stiff" suspension. My previous car was a 92 240SX SE, and if I hit any small bump or pothole at any speed it was certainly quite harsh, but driving down a fairly smooth highway did not produce any jitter in the interior. What makes me wonder about the Sentra is the bouncy nature of the ride. I drive mostly on the interstate highways (93 and 95 for those of you from the area), and the entire ride feels like I'm driving on an uneven dirt road. Thanks for the feedback, it's probably just me.

------------------
2001 SE, 5sp, PP, ABS, SunRf, Black

·
Registered
940 Posts
well folks, the main difference is the shocks. the se and the se pp uses a twin tube valved fron and rear shocks. the springs are stiffer too.

try this: while the car is parked, push hard on one side of the fender(e.g., front right). push hard a cuple times and you'll notice a 'lock-up'. that is the valve that stops the nitrogen to move up/down for a stiffer and better control while driving. basicly, it isthe same if you had a stiffer koni or tokiko. the gxe or xe will not have this option.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts