B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
I'm with your mom
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK- I think this goes unter technical, i've done a lot of searching and reading about taking this piece of crap out.
This weekend it's coming out. ;)
Does anyone have any last minute advice or tips that could help me out?
i have the 10mm deep off set the e14 socket. a tq wrench, rtv,and bolt cutters. what else is needed.
from what everyone else has posted i'm expecting about a 3hr install.
how long should i let the rtv dry b4 i take her for a spin?
and is 37lbs of tq enough for those bolts? i would of thought more.
and dont u need to cut 2inchs off the bolts that come out?
thankx for the help

·
spec faif
574 Posts
hmm I didnt cut any of my bolts, the e-torx are tight as hell. You should leave that rtv drying for on whole day preferably. And you might need to grind the deep offset wrench a little to make it fit in the bolt.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've seen installation pics and noticed that the balance shaft is directly underneath cylinder one? Is this correct?

·
I'm with your mom
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PEISpec said:
Ok, I'm doing this this weekend too....I'm having a bit of a dilemma trying to find an E-Torx socket. Are they just a regular torx bit (the type that goes inside the head of the bolt), or what?
i got lucky a friend of my brother has an etorx bit, i was told it was a e14
u can try murry's auto, they had every size except the e14
sears had it but it was in a set for $20
autozone didn't have any either
neither did lee's or home depot

i'm starting this now and probably will finish it tomorrow, cuz i'm tired and i'm going to wait for some more help

·
NISMOnkey
1,015 Posts
Yeah, apparently the only place the get that particular size e-Torx socket is in that Sears set... I'm smelling a conspiracy... Please please please get 24" bolt cutters. Anything else won't fit under the car w/o a real lift, and anything smaller won't cut the chain. Try and watch the huge spark when you cut your chain! =)

·
I'm with your mom
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just jacked up the car, and it doesn't look very safe if i have the jack on the control arm. should i leave it? right now i have one under the passenger side control arm and the other is on the crossmember under the rear mount. is that ok?

·
NISMOnkey
1,015 Posts
I would jack up both sidse and get them on jackstands, if I were you... It's never really safe to leave the car on the jack.

·
NISMOnkey
1,015 Posts
Oh yeah, make sure you have a razor blade to scrape all of the old RTV off of the oil pan surfaces.

·
I'm with your mom
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
got it nm :)

·
I'm with your mom
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
damn it how do u get the off set wrench on the damn bolt
EDIT: Ha got it, no need for an offset wrench at all :D

when u put the first plate up, is there a reason why it wont sit flush w/ all the other spacers?

·
No more Spec
2,549 Posts
Most offset wrenches have to have a bit ground off to get them on the bolt. I believe the snap on is the only one that fits in without grinding. Let the RTV cure for about four hours or so before pouring new oil in. Then you shouldnt have any leaks and be sure to use Permatex ultra grey RTV. That is the same stuff Nissan uses and they will never know the pan was dropped just by looking at it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
paul are you still workign on it? ill come by and help?

·
No more Spec
2,549 Posts
I dont know off hand. I would have to see the wrench. If it were me I would just try it out and see what had to be ground off. But I have a grinder. Somebody that has done it recently might be able to help more. I am possitive the craftsman wrench has to be ground though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts