B15 Sentra Forum banner

B15sentra.net is being threated to be shut down ->

3K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  RussY2KSE 
#1 ·
My webhosting company which was runned by a friend has now threated to take down b15sentra.net within 2 weeks if not moved sooner. We have gone way over our bandwidth limit and our time with them. I can't afford the $250 a month he is requesting to keep this site running. Me and David are trying to find a solution asap, but we are down to where sentra.net and b15sentra.net using one forums is gonna have to be split. As well as finding us a new provider.

If anyone has any input, we need it now. Thanks guys

------------------

2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package,5spd,Granite
Strobe lights in headlights, SMC STS, Gas cap holder, BridgeStone RE730 205x55/16s, Timing Advance @18 degrees, Mobil 1 5w30

See less See more
#2 ·
Not to be a jerk, or funny about it, but
we have 998 memembers now...

That's about 25 cents per member to make
up the $250.

Just a thought.

------------------
2001 Sentra SE, PP, 5-Speed, Sunroof. No mods yet.

The senior citizen.

#4 ·
This is horrible news!!

I wish I had some constructive input as far as other servers we could move to. But the idea that UtahJ submitted has merit. I just wonder if all 1000 members would actually take the time to send money in. I don't know, I'd hate to see this site go, its one of the only ones that I come to everyday to check up on. We have a great group of people here.
I know some other sites that I have visited took donations from members, and the donators were given a "special status" on the website. For example they were allowed to have pictures beneath their names, added titles beneath their names, etc. I also beleive they were allowed special access to certain "members-only" forums. This may be an option you could check into, although I suspect it would only increase the bandwidth problem you're already encountering.
I know I would donate money but then again it seems unfair that those who do not donate leech off of those that do.
Well keep us up-to-date on what's happening.

------------------
2001 Blackout SE w/ PP, sunroof, debadged...more to come

#5 ·
it sounds like were back in the same boat that sentra.net was in last year.

I guess we could always go back to one of those free BB's that we were using during the transition over to this one.

I would say you could host the BB portion where i work for free on one of my machines, but I dont know how much longer I'll be working here and I'm not sure of the amount of bandwidth I could grab for you guys.

I'm sure someone will think of something.

------------------
2000 sentra se w/ windsheild. headlights. toyo tires. steering wheel. shift knob. seats. etc

#6 ·
The amount of bandwidth this site does is a 16 gig transfer a month, basically 1 FULL T1 being used all the time. The donations are a great idea, but will it be enough to last 12 months a year? I mean 250 a month is what we need......to keep her running as is.

------------------

Strobe lights in headlights, SMC STS, Gas cap holder, BridgeStone RE730 205x55/16s, Timing Advance @18 degrees, Mobil 1 5w30

#8 ·
Darkside... That's probably the suggestion that crossed the minds of most B15 owners here, but no one would say it aloud.

Nitelife... Good point about the "people who don't contribute" thing though. Maybe like you said, those who pay could get extra perks and access. That could be a little incentive to contribute.

Russ... If we do the contribution thing, then just up the fees to like a few bucks or something to account for the growth (and increasing cost) of the site. Any extra cash would be a tip for keeping this site up and updating even though you're selling your b15.

I don't know. Maybe we should look at other UBBs and see how they're staying up. Anyone have any other ideas?

The other solution is for all the SR20s here (sorry GA16s and GA18s) to jump on the SE-R mailing list if this site goes down, and eat up their boards.

------------------
Jae
'00 SE w/ some stuff...

[This message has been edited by SR20DE 2K (edited March 08, 2001).]

G
#9 ·
I'd be more than willing to make a donation. If nothing else, it would buy us some more time until we found a permanent solution.

The problem is that not all 998 members frequent the board, nor would they all pay the fee. We might get 100 to 200 that would actually participate. This would mean that the contributions would need to be in the 1 dollar to 10 dollar range to buy us a couple of months.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (In a UPS truck...again)
- Hotshot CAI (In a Fed Ex Truck...again)
Click HERE To Visit My Website!

#10 ·
Damn Maxx, I didn't think of that. Out of the 998 registered members, how many would actually be willing to throw in some money? How many are actually active posters here? It seems to me that most people here just read the posts and that's it. But I dunno. Somehow we'll come up with a solution...

Oh by the way... I'm willing to contribute too if we need to.

------------------
Jae
'00 SE w/ some stuff...

#12 ·
It would be a good idea to make it a B15 only site. But i'm down to put in some money to keep it up. I think we should have membership Fee's. I think if we charge 25 dollars a year X 998 = 24,700 a year. You figure that everyone would not want to be members, then lets subtract about 500 people.. Tha would still give us 12,450 a year. If this website is 250 a month then X that by 12 to give us 3,000 for the site. The rest of the money can go to Car shows, stickers, performence parts, expansion of B15sentra.net... I mean there is alot of possibilities Russ, lets get on the good foot and make sure we don't get closed down cuz then i won't have nothing to do!

Guys, let me know what you think..

Enemigo 4Eva

------------------

Sportin Da ILL 2000 SE, Greddy Exhaust, HID Hyperwhite Head bulbs, Turn Signals, and Fogs, Free Intake Mod, 35% Mirror Tint, Custom Made Grill, Vinyl Eye lids, Gas Cap holder, Sound system w/Amp, 1 1/2" Dome Tweets, and Sub...BOOM!...Primax 15" 10 spoke Racing Rims (in the mail)

#13 ·
News like this hurts...not going against what anyone's saying but in a situation like this I think it would be better to stick to together, just my opinion, I don't own sentra or a 200sx or even a nissan at that(well I have a infiniti, close enough, but I used to have a b13) but I come here all the time so I'm willing to contribute.
Also, I'm wondering how many people are willing to donate, maybe someone can change the "quickpoll" just to get an idea of how many people have the means to help.

------------------
2001 Infinti G20t
http://www.foreignimages.cjb.net

#14 ·
I agree with the money, but 25$US is almost 50$Can for us. Yeah Yeah, I know we're not a lot form the north, but I'm willing to pay something. What about the others canucks????

You don't want to have auto parts advertisers
to be on the site?

What about selling the auto-sticker B15 for financing?

------------------
Se Red Cajun
5speed
P/P
K'N filter
Racing pedals

#16 ·
I've lurked here for over 6 months, but this is my first post. I love reading this site.

As someone who knows a bit about web development, the first step in reducing bandwidth should be disabling images. Judging from the amount of picture files in signatures and the big SE-R picture in the background that is loaded constantly, I would estimate that over %50 of your bandwidth is being used on images. If the site were to disable all graphical files on the bulletin board and the background wallpaper, that may reduce costs considerably.

Back to lurking (for now!)

Matt

------------------
2001 Granite SE

#17 ·
Guys, I am not really sure what to do. This is what the conclusion has come down too. Scott basically can't do anything as of now. So here is what i have to offer.

1) Switch back to EZ BOARD, lose alot of looks, features but its free...may even be speed.

2) Go fee based, to pay for our ISP, this will keep her going, and help pay for items.

3) Let the page die.

We have 2 weeks at the most to move...

------------------

G
#18 ·
Well, I don't think anyone wants the page to die. I think we can muster enough support to keep things going.

What the suggestion on limiting Graphics and pictures help us out at all?

If we need to get some money together, maybe a paypal account could be set up or something. We are kinda short on time, but there has to be something we can do.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd Cloud White.
MODS:
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (In a UPS truck...again)
- Hotshot CAI (In a Fed Ex Truck...again)
Click HERE To Visit My Website!

#19 ·
I agree that not all 998 people would pay.
Like someone said, we'd be lucky to get

I'm up for donating, but honestly I would
feel like I was supporting the other 898
leeches if the donation was too large.

I'd also be interested in hearing what reducing the graphics down to almost nothing
would do to the bandwidth and cost.

------------------
2001 Sentra SE, PP, 5-Speed, Sunroof. No mods yet.

The senior citizen.

#20 ·
The graphics suggestion won't help much at all period. We do 16gigs of traffic, we need to lower it to less than 4 gigs a month to be safe.... you guys figure that out. But to still HOST the html files, we still need a place to resite that, and that at the min will cost 50 a month if we use ezboard.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maxximtl:
Well, I don't think anyone wants the page to die. I think we can muster enough support to keep things going.

What the suggestion on limiting Graphics and pictures help us out at all?

If we need to get some money together, maybe a paypal account could be set up or something. We are kinda short on time, but there has to be something we can do.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

#21 ·
I see several options:

1. Die. It all goes bye-bye.
2. Create a USENET newsgroup hierarchy(like alt.autos.nissan.b15sentra.general, alt.autos.nissan.b15sentra.technical), and convert from the UBB board to those. Periodically (once a week), a FAQ will be posted to each newsgroup pointed users to the website, which will serve its current purpose, provide news, articles, links, etc.
http://www.geocities.com/eacalame/create/create.html
3. Ask for, or even require, donations, membership fees, the like, to cover operating cost.
4. Conserve bandwith. Remove crazy logos, ability to post pictures, UBB code.

Personally, I'd investigate option 2. If the groups can be moderated, and messages removed, maybe even specific posters (IP ranges) blocked, I'd say that would be a suitable way.

------------------
2000 SE w/ PP auto in Heatwave

[This message has been edited by Y2K SE (edited March 08, 2001).]

#22 ·
I think that the newsgroup idea is a great idea! Much better than charging for the site. The accounting issues of charging for the site could be a real headache, if implemented. You'd have to deal with that year round, and then send out reminders that subscriptions are going to be up...etc.. on a regular basis. D you really want to get into all that.

I'd also vote for just going only for B15 and not all Sentra stuff.

But I think the newsgroup idea is best.

--*Rob

------------------
2001 SE, Radium, PP, Rear Splash guards

#23 ·
Those suggestions getting posted are all good. Is there any way to move this to a "free hosting site" while we explore more permanent solutions?

We may have to dump the archives if/when we move, as well. A thought is to convert most of those archives into a FAQ section, with the moderator able to update those once in a while.

I know this is going off the wall, but how about charging for advertising space?

------------------
waiting for stromung, got the unorthodox

#25 ·
Can't we just have this site for members only?.... That way uninvited people could not get in. This would save alot of space and aggravation. You know i'mm willing to pay for this site!!!!

------------------

Sportin Da ILL 2000 SE, Greddy Exhaust, HID Hyperwhite Head bulbs, Turn Signals, and Fogs, Free Intake Mod, 35% Mirror Tint, Custom Made Grill, Vinyl Eye lids, Gas Cap holder, Sound system w/Amp, 1 1/2" Dome Tweets, and Sub...BOOM!...Primax 15" 10 spoke Racing Rims (in the mail)

#26 ·
The problem I see with making it a pay or membership due site is we have so far gotten several people to actually buy a Sentra, instead of say a Focus, a Civic, a Protege, etc. They wouldn't have gotten the exposure if they were forced to pay to get in on the "party."

We are a small enough community that I don't think we should be doing things to make that community even smaller.

------------------
2000 SE w/ PP auto in Heatwave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.