B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

Rather than upgrade the factory head unit right away I want to find out about hooking up an external audio [mp3] player.

My question is, who manufactures the factory [180w] deck and cd changer that can interface with it?

Most major manufacturers make adapters that plug into where the cd changer would interface and simply provide RCA inputs to the deck.

I was thinking I could call crutchfield and ask but I thought I'd take it to the board first.

Thanks..I hope my question is clear enough...if anyone has a similar setup..please let me know.

I am aware that I can use a hardwired RF modulator to get an RCA input to the deck, but that comes at a serious cost to sound quality

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I think it's a clarion deck but don't quote me on that,,,,it's been a long time since i've looked at my stock headunit.....

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
clarion? so would a clarion changer interface directly with it? is the 'nissan' oem changer a clarion?

thanks for yr help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I emailed around and found out the deck is made by Panasonic.

I then was told by Panasonic that the changers and accessories are custom designed for each car manufacturer, so Panasonic accessories [adapters, cd changers] would not necessarily work. Only the Nissan specific stuff will work with this deck.

I guess my other option is to buy a new cd deck with a line input on the front face.

Any model/brand suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
well I just looked on the stock radio at least the one that came in my car and it stats that it's a clarion,,,so I would check and see if they told you the right info....

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
amp instead?

If I added an amp to the stock setup would I gain an rca input?

Sorry for the newbie question but does the SE PP 180w system have an external amp?

I'm really looking for an easy way to run a line in into the system

thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
What about using a RF modulator from a CD changer? I believe the modulator only see's audio input, but I could be wrong.

PB

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah...or you can just buy an rf modulator that interfaces with the antenna input. apparently the sound quality suffers..but its a fair compromise.

I'd like to look into getting an rf modulator. can anyone suggest any car brands/models [other than what is sold at radioshack?]

thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
The family tree...

As a part of my Touring Package, I got a dealer-installed, hardwired (thank the maker, no modulation) Alpine Changer bolted into my trunk.

The Alpine is connected via a 16-pin connector to the controller (maker unknown at this point) mounted in the empty storage bay, which in turn communicates perfectly with the Clarion head unit.

And since the speakers are Panasonic, this equates to a 7-disc Nissan/Clarion/Alpine/Panasonic sound system...
It all works, but by the time you've rolled that off your tongue, I'm likely to have it all yanked out!

From what I've seen of the wiring schematics, you're likely going to have to look at some adapters...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found this product online:

http://www.peripheral-aamp.com/periph_products/audio_switchers.htm

Part number is EDNUNI or EDNCLR

I called their tech support and was told it will only work on decks that do NOT have CD changer controls built in...which IS the case on the 180w stock headunit.

This box uses an 8 pin interface, which the 180w OEM headunit has at the back.

As well, I know that to use the stock cd changer, you have to install the CD AUTO CHANGER CONTROLLER.

Thought the application guide says that this will only work on 93-97 Nissan Stereo's, I have a feeling it might be compatible with the newer ones as well.

Its an expensive product to order and then hope it works - does anyone know of any similar products available? This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for as long as its compatible with the Sentra stock headunit.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts